PRINCEJUDAH is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm2 9550
    OS
    v5.0.0.320
    Liked
    0 times

Firefox Mobile Beta...Blackberry to use WebKit iPhone Browser

Was reading up on C-Net this morning that a Beta version of Firefox is just about set to be available for Mobile Phones. I think this is great news. I'm a huge fan of Firefox and very excited that they are finally creating a browser for mobile phones. What excited me even more is that during the article reference was made to the open-source WebKit project that powers the high end phone Browser's such as the iPhone, Palm Pre, and the Motorolla Droid....then it states (with Blackberry also heading in that direction) We haven't heard much acknowledgment about Blackberry revamping it's browser but this article does mention that Blackberry is set redesign it's browser using the same WebKit project that powers the iPhone, Palm Pre, and Droid. Not sure about you guys but I am really looking forward to RIM's new Browser and the introduction of a mobile version of Firefox. Firefox Mobile first Beta version is said to be released in about a week with an official release there after during the following weeks. If you are interested in reading the article you can check it out over at the link below. Let me know what you think...

First Mobile Firefox enters home stretch | Deep Tech - CNET News

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "Never have I doubted life for I am dying just to live"

K2kool is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    Gotta ask
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    great news. Love firefox

trashpants is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    PIN
    20C8DF55
    Device
    Storm 9500
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    AFAIK the Blackberry revamp thing isn't officially stated, but its the general consensus, that since they acquired a mobile webkit developing house they are building this.

Also the webkit engine is a hell of a lot better than the gecko rendering engine. Ill definitely give this a whirl in a weeks time, but fingers crossed, BB's own browser (if its made/released) should be lightning fast.

PRINCEJUDAH is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm2 9550
    OS
    v5.0.0.320
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by trashpants View Post
    AFAIK the Blackberry revamp thing isn't officially stated, but its the general consensus, that since they acquired a mobile webkit developing house they are building this.

Also the webkit engine is a hell of a lot better than the gecko rendering engine. Ill definitely give this a whirl in a weeks time, but fingers crossed, BB's own browser (if its made/released) should be lightning fast.
    Yes I am definitely with you on webkit over gecko. I'll try the firefox if available for us BB users in the meantime. But the official release of a RIM webkit Browser is like Shrimp and Lobster baby. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "Never have I doubted life for I am dying just to live"

ealvnv is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow ealvnv On Twitter
    PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    8 times
    Not to kill th hopes but firefox mobile it won't be available for blackberry.
    Posted via mobile device

Smackberry is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Storm2
    Liked
    0 times
    The Storm 2 comes with a mobile version of Firefox already installed. So why the big announcement of a mobile bowser when they already have one?

HarlyFan is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    It on the JACKASS!
    Device
    9530 Storm 9550 Storm2
    OS
    5.0.0.530 by Lyricidal
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    Posted via mobile device
    How do you know this?
    Live Each Day Like You Are Dying!

sunkast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Smackberry View Post
    The Storm 2 comes with a mobile version of Firefox already installed. So why the big announcement of a mobile bowser when they already have one?
    Welcome to ! I think you are confused. Are you talking about the Browser Identification where you can set it to Firefox? That would only identify the BB browser as being Firefox. It would not actually be the Firefox browser.

freebirds87 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow freebirds87 On Twitter
    PIN
    BALL
    Device
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Although having a native browser based off of webkit would be nice, I am perfectly happy with just using Opera for those full web pages... I went away from Blackberry for 4-5 months and got a HTC Hero w/ Android. Yes, the browser was insane but that was it. Blackberry has a "usefulness" that is second to none when it comes to communicating.

What I'm saying is... just be patient. (I know it's hard )
    Blackberry Tour 9630
    ======================

ealvnv is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow ealvnv On Twitter
    PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HarlyFan View Post
    How do you know this?
    beta testing for firefox in a non blackberry device and on pc, no go for blackberry, that what they told me and to everyone who ask about.....
    BlackBerry by Choice!

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    Posted via mobile device
    That's the same thing I have heard as well. Firefox mobile will be available for Android, Symbian and Winmo but no BB. Webkit for the BB should be coming this year, hopefully by summer