EDGE "drops" to edge and browser/servicebooks sometimes missing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EDGE "drops" to edge and browser/servicebooks sometimes missing

rcocchiararo is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow rcocchiararo On Twitter
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

EDGE "drops" to edge and browser/servicebooks sometimes missing

Im seeng that my unlocked verizon 9550 running only on EDGE on a GSM carrier (movistar argentina), from time to time looses BIS, and goes to edge. This didnt happen on the bold, and im on my 3rd day using the storm2 and seeing this.

Disabling and re enabling the radio, e reboot o battery pull, or just waiting, "fixes" it most of the time.

But except for waiting, the "solutions" can cause the browser to dissapear, along with MANY servicebooks, which leaves my storm with no internet connectivity, even on WIFI or EDGE.

Resending the books, if im on wifi, fixes it, haven tried with no wifi (and it can only be done from a pc, the mail config utility fails in those conditions).

Another reboot fixes it too.

Can this be OOAK hybrid (the one that didnt have .371 files) ? faulty storm ? a problem of running it on a GSM carrier ?

PD (And OT) : i think its not possible, but, may i have missed a way to make googlemaps use the cel location triangulation ? (it can use AGPS with wifi, not with celtowers, i think).

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rcocchiararo View Post
    Im seeng that my unlocked verizon 9550 running only on EDGE on a GSM carrier (movistar argentina), from time to time looses BIS, and goes to edge. This didnt happen on the bold, and im on my 3rd day using the storm2 and seeing this.

Disabling and re enabling the radio, e reboot o battery pull, or just waiting, "fixes" it most of the time.

But except for waiting, the "solutions" can cause the browser to dissapear, along with MANY servicebooks, which leaves my storm with no internet connectivity, even on WIFI or EDGE.

Resending the books, if im on wifi, fixes it, haven tried with no wifi (and it can only be done from a pc, the mail config utility fails in those conditions).

Another reboot fixes it too.

Can this be OOAK hybrid (the one that didnt have .371 files) ? faulty storm ? a problem of running it on a GSM carrier ?

PD (And OT) : i think its not possible, but, may i have missed a way to make googlemaps use the cel location triangulation ? (it can use AGPS with wifi, not with celtowers, i think).
    Unforunately because you are using a radio file that was built for CDMA it will be hit or miss

you can try this
    http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/b...tml#post127460

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    i must first get the service books for my carrier, right ?

should i extract the ones that are automatically sent, since they work, or, get the ones from the bold (presumably the same)?

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Either should be fine
    Posted via mobile device

Redpandatech is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Bold 9000
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Same problem in Guatemala with Claro

Did you manage to solve this successfully? Would really appreciate some assistance.
    How exactly do I take the books from my previous Bold and copy them into the Storm? Is that what you need to do?

Sometimes I get EDGE back but no browser....help!
    Last edited by Redpandatech; 01-04-2010 at 12:06 PM.

Device
    Bold 9000
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Transfered my service books from Bold to Storm and immediately got my browser back.

Has anyone been able to get it to 3G or EDGE is as far as it gets?
    Do you have to modify the pESN(dec),(hex) or leave it as it is?

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    i stoped messing with the service books since .428 fixed everything for me.

And the CDMA menu (#000000) is ALL useless except for the first line (the one for setting your phone number).

Unless your carrier has CDMA or GSM 2100MHZ 3g band, EDGE is as far as you go.

Device
    Bold 9000
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, I'm on .436 now and it's working great, even though it stays on edge most of the time and not on EDGE.

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    mmm, in my country, edge instead of EDGE means no internet, no bbm, no nothing :P

Device
    Bold 9000
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Here I can browse with Opera or Bolt but not with the native browser, that can only be used on wifi. It has been two days with .436 and no EDGE at all, could a downgrade to .428 change anything, are there any changes in the sifi?
    Problem is I don't get my push emails.
    Will try .425 or a .320 based hybrid to see if that changes anything.
    Last edited by Redpandatech; 01-06-2010 at 09:31 AM.

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    i really don't know why you get no EDGE

did you try resending the service books ?

Device
    Bold 9000
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I have sent the book many times over and tried different os versions but now I can't get to EDGE at all and it has been close to a week. Can someone please help.

breiti is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow breiti On Twitter
    PIN
    please ask
    Device
    OS
    always the latest
    Liked
    0 times
    Just curious, did you change device through the carriers BIS site? You need to input your PIN and IMEI so RIM's servers know how to talk with the 9550 rather than the Bold...

Device
    Bold 9000
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I did, weirdest thing is that it worked for a few days just fine, and then it just didn't.
    I keep sending the registration message but the HRT is still empty and I don't know what else to try, and custumer service just says that in their system everything is activated and ok.

breiti is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow breiti On Twitter
    PIN
    please ask
    Device
    OS
    always the latest
    Liked
    0 times
    ...and I guess you did a clean install prior to loading this OS without the vendor.xml? Pfewww.

TemperamentalMan is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow TemperamentalMan On Twitter
    PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    6 times
    I would recommend starting from scratch. Neolantis posted an amazing tutorial on how to properly upgrade your device's OS.

http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/b...es-videos.html

Walk through that tutorial and make sure you have followed every step. If that doesn't help, I would recommend speaking to customer service about a replacement device.

Device
    Bold 9000
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Did do a clean install without vendor.xml

Thanks for the advise, I will follow the guide and do it all over again to see if it helps. Nothing else I can do cause my service provider is not the one who sold the phone to me, the Storm is Verizon and I'm in Guatemala with Claro.

TemperamentalMan is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow TemperamentalMan On Twitter
    PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Redpandatech View Post
    Did do a clean install without vendor.xml

Thanks for the advise, I will follow the guide and do it all over again to see if it helps. Nothing else I can do cause my service provider is not the one who sold the phone to me, the Storm is Verizon and I'm in Guatemala with Claro.

Then I would do exactly what you said, follow the guide and start over. It may be a simple issue, or not. One of the most important things Neo mentions in the walkthrough is to pull your battery THREE CONSECUTIVE TIMES for 60 seconds after the final install/device reboot. That helps tremendously.

Please make sure you post your results here. is here to help you as much as possible.

Good luck!

Device
    Bold 9000
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I regret to report that I still don't get EDGE. However, the last time the phone connected to EDGE it was left alone for a few days before it did, so it could be a matter of time.
    The three consecutive battery pulls did wonders to a few applications which had been misbehaving for a while, like Bolt and Gmail.

Thanks for the great advise. If someone can think of anything else I might be able to do I would appreciate it.

PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Redpandatech View Post
    I regret to report that I still don't get EDGE. However, the last time the phone connected to EDGE it was left alone for a few days before it did, so it could be a matter of time.
    The three consecutive battery pulls did wonders to a few applications which had been misbehaving for a while, like Bolt and Gmail.

Thanks for the great advise. If someone can think of anything else I might be able to do I would appreciate it.
    I'm glad that some of your applications are working correctly. Have you tried/tested your connection with no applications or settings restored? From a bare install?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast