is the wi-fi in the storm 2 slower than in a javelin?
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: is the wi-fi in the storm 2 slower than in a javelin?

  1. #1
    joe11's Avatar
    joe11 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    venezuela
    Device
    onyx
    OS
    .423
    Posts
    219
    Liked
    0 times

    Question is the wi-fi in the storm 2 slower than in a javelin?

    its kinda weird my wi-fi on he javelin its really good, but in the storm 2 is not that fast, is there something wrong or should i have to do something else?




  2. #2
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    I have noticed the same thing. It could be due to the chipset provided by qualcomm for the Storm 2. In general, the CPU's on GSM phones are superior in terms of speed. And this can translate to better or worse wifi speeds.

  3. #3
    Natemz's Avatar
    Natemz is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Natemz On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    PIN
    DROOOOIIII
    Device
    Droid X
    Posts
    3,209
    Liked
    19 times
    I'm not impressed with the wifi on my S2 either. Really not that big of a deal at all.
    Droooooiiiiiid!
    Follow me @Natemz

  4. #4
    joe11's Avatar
    joe11 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    venezuela
    Device
    onyx
    OS
    .423
    Posts
    219
    Liked
    0 times
    hmmm i got it cuz of the wi-fi, think im going to get a bold 2 instead, any way to improve this?

  5. #5
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by joe11 View Post
    hmmm i got it cuz of the wi-fi, think im going to get a bold 2 instead, any way to improve this?
    The bold 2 should have better wifi speeds. But no matter what phone you use until support for 802n comes out we are relegated to the much slow b and g bands. Rumor has it the 4th generation iPhone to be released Summer of 2010 will be the first mobile device to be support 802 n

  6. #6
    MrWireless31's Avatar
    MrWireless31 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow MrWireless31 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    PIN
    Just ask...
    Device
    BlackBerry Storm2 9550
    OS
    5.0.0.451
    Posts
    85
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Natemz View Post
    I'm not impressed with the wifi on my S2 either. Really not that big of a deal at all.
    I couldn't agree more...I remember seeing salomondrin demoing Wifi on the Storm 2 (connected to his home cable network, just like I have) and comparing it to EVDO and the Wifi was much faster. If I'm not mistaken, phone arena had much faster downloading times on a similar wifi network and posted their results in their review. When I use my Wifi, I see no difference whatsoever, and if anything it might even be slower than my 3G!

    Any chance of an OS update fixing this? Or is it strictly a hardware limitation?
    Last edited by MrWireless31; 12-09-2009 at 10:34 PM. Reason: typo

  7. #7
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWireless31 View Post
    I couldn't agree more...I remember seeing salomondrin demoing Wifi on the Storm 2 (connected to his home cable network, just like I have) and comparing it to EVDO and the Wifi was much faster. If I'm not mistaken, phone arena had much faster downloading times on a similar wifi network and posted their results in their review. When I use my Wifi, I see no difference whatsoever, and if anything it might even be slower than my 3G!

    Any chance of an OS update fixing this? Or is it strictly a hardware limitation?
    Highly unlikely this will ever change as it is a hardware limitation or better yet a qualcomm CPU limitation

  8. #8
    Mruiz949's Avatar
    Mruiz949 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ORANGE COUNTY
    PIN
    PRIVATE
    Device
    9650 (BOLD)
    OS
    Which ever is NEWEST
    Posts
    51
    Liked
    0 times
    Wifi does seem longer to connect and is not as fast..

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •