Synching with Google

Thread: Synching with Google

MrWireless31 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow MrWireless31 On Twitter
    PIN
    Just ask...
    Device
    BlackBerry Storm2 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Question Synching with Google

Ok folks, I got a question regarding the enhanced GMail plugin and synching information between my Google account and my Storm2.

I turned the Contact Synchronization on via the BIS/Email Settings, but it screwed all of my contacts up (erased many, others had multiple, duplicated entries). So I turned it off and restored my contact list from a previous backup file via Desktop Manager.

I want to be able to sync my contacts, calendar and messages from my Storm2 to Google without the risk of losing info (or having my contact list all screwy). I used to have the Google Sync app about a yr ago on my Curve 8330, but I thought the Enhanced GMail plugin was designed so that I wouldn't need any other third party (Google) app?

I recently registered for Google Voice and it recommended I use the Contacts in Google. I never really updates my GMail contacts before, just the Contacts on my Berry. Please help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

sunkast Guest
    Haven't tried this plug in myself, but I've never been able to get the Google Sync app to work the way I wanted.

RANDYRKELLY is offline BlackBerryOS Fanatic Follow RANDYRKELLY On Twitter
    PIN
    Not Requir
    Device
    Incredible
    OS
    Android
    Liked
    2 times
    ok i may can help u out . whats the issue u having again

cj100570 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow cj100570 On Twitter
    PIN
    306051B3
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWireless31 View Post
    Ok folks, I got a question regarding the enhanced GMail plugin and synching information between my Google account and my Storm2.

I turned the Contact Synchronization on via the BIS/Email Settings, but it screwed all of my contacts up (erased many, others had multiple, duplicated entries). So I turned it off and restored my contact list from a previous backup file via Desktop Manager.

I want to be able to sync my contacts, calendar and messages from my Storm2 to Google without the risk of losing info (or having my contact list all screwy). I used to have the Google Sync app about a yr ago on my Curve 8330, but I thought the Enhanced GMail plugin was designed so that I wouldn't need any other third party (Google) app?

I recently registered for Google Voice and it recommended I use the Contacts in Google. I never really updates my GMail contacts before, just the Contacts on my Berry. Please help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Delete your Google account on the VZ BIS site and resend your service books. Go to your Google contacts and export them for backup and then delete them all. Go back and create your Google account on BIS again, check sync contacts and resend your service books. Log into your email settings on your phone and it should give a security and run through the setup process. All should work perfectly. I'm using it and whenever I make changes to my contacts it shows up within seconds. And that sync is 2 way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Semper Paratus"

nrw2001 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow nrw2001 On Twitter
    PIN
    305395F_ ask for the last one
    Device
    9530 Storm
    OS
    5.0.0.328 Wow. Just wow!!!
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cj100570 View Post
    Delete your Google account on the VZ BIS site and resend your service books. Go to your Google contacts and export them for backup and then delete them all. Go back and create your Google account on BIS again, check sync contacts and resend your service books. Log into your email settings on your phone and it should give a security and run through the setup process. All should work perfectly. I'm using it and whenever I make changes to my contacts it shows up within seconds. And that sync is 2 way.
    +1 this is what i did. only i soon disabled it cause i use contact categories. so i can have different lists ony my berry. like personal, business, etc. when they sync with google sync this info is lost. so after my initial sync i turned it off. wish it worked a little better.

PIN
    Just ask...
    Device
    BlackBerry Storm2 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    cj100 and nrw2001 thanks for your suggestions, I'm in the process of doing this now... will let you know how it turns out, thanks alot!

petewell is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    24BF40D5
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    I made a mistake in my last post. Disregard this message.

Thanks
    Last edited by petewell; 11-07-2009 at 04:21 PM.

PIN
    Just ask...
    Device
    BlackBerry Storm2 9550
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    so far it still didnt work, getting duplicates and missing contacts even after following the above directions

woodi68 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow woodi68 On Twitter
    PIN
    310DB3BA
    Device
    9550 - Storm2
    OS
    5.0.0.509 hybrid
    Liked
    0 times
    Issue I'm having is that if I turn on contacts sync then I have two different address books. Not two different icons, but if I open up contacts and click menu and go to options, I have the option of "select contact list". I can choose my BES or my gmail.

Problem is I'd like to remove the gmail contacts list and cannot figure out how to do it! I've tried deleting the gmail BIS account and reloading, but that didn't work...

Thoughts?
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/RL_Wood
    My Blog: http://LegalAdmin.info

Gslice is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie Follow Gslice On Twitter
    PIN
    310038B8
    Device
    Storm2
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I've been fighting this same issue.

When I upgraded my Storm to a Storm2, the new phone had the syncing option already on, even though I was using the Google Sync App.

It totally hosed up my contact list both on Gmail and my BB. I had 11+ identical entries for each contact! So I had to wipe my BB address book, wipe my Gmail address book and restore an older backup (thank god I had one!).

So I figured I'd try turning off the Google Sync App, and try to use the new native Syncing on the BB OS. I wish I hadn't, because now I have everybody I've ever even emailed in my BB.

I use contact groups in Gmail to manage all the contacts, and the Google Sync app was smart enough to only Sycn ones in the "My Contacts" group (i.e. contacts I specified as "keepers").

I guess I am going to have to wipe the BB contact list (again), and turn off native sync and turn back on the Google Sync app.

The Google app has always worked perfectly for me - not a single problem.

Let me know if anybody comes up with a fix or workaround so that we don't have to rely on a 3rd party app to sync our contacts. I'd prefer to use the built-in sync method, if it wasn't so damn sucky...

RANDYRKELLY is offline BlackBerryOS Fanatic Follow RANDYRKELLY On Twitter
    PIN
    Not Requir
    Device
    Incredible
    OS
    Android
    Liked
    2 times
    Wirelessly posted (Stormy 4)

Well the fix I have found is for u to delete ur contacts and re address book before u synced. But don't turn on google sync just yet. That's what I found to be a fix when I was syncin