Synching with Google
Ok folks, I got a question regarding the enhanced GMail plugin and synching information between my Google account and my Storm2.
I turned the Contact Synchronization on via the BIS/Email Settings, but it screwed all of my contacts up (erased many, others had multiple, duplicated entries). So I turned it off and restored my contact list from a previous backup file via Desktop Manager.
I want to be able to sync my contacts, calendar and messages from my Storm2 to Google without the risk of losing info (or having my contact list all screwy). I used to have the Google Sync app about a yr ago on my Curve 8330, but I thought the Enhanced GMail plugin was designed so that I wouldn't need any other third party (Google) app?
I recently registered for Google Voice and it recommended I use the Contacts in Google. I never really updates my GMail contacts before, just the Contacts on my Berry. Please help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Haven't tried this plug in myself, but I've never been able to get the Google Sync app to work the way I wanted.
ok i may can help u out . whats the issue u having again
Originally Posted by MrWireless31
Delete your Google account on the VZ BIS site and resend your service books. Go to your Google contacts and export them for backup and then delete them all. Go back and create your Google account on BIS again, check sync contacts and resend your service books. Log into your email settings on your phone and it should give a security and run through the setup process. All should work perfectly. I'm using it and whenever I make changes to my contacts it shows up within seconds. And that sync is 2 way.
+1 this is what i did. only i soon disabled it cause i use contact categories. so i can have different lists ony my berry. like personal, business, etc. when they sync with google sync this info is lost. so after my initial sync i turned it off. wish it worked a little better.
Originally Posted by cj100570
cj100 and nrw2001 thanks for your suggestions, I'm in the process of doing this now... will let you know how it turns out, thanks alot!
I made a mistake in my last post. Disregard this message.
Last edited by petewell; 11-07-2009 at 05:21 PM.
so far it still didnt work, getting duplicates and missing contacts even after following the above directions
Issue I'm having is that if I turn on contacts sync then I have two different address books. Not two different icons, but if I open up contacts and click menu and go to options, I have the option of "select contact list". I can choose my BES or my gmail.
Problem is I'd like to remove the gmail contacts list and cannot figure out how to do it! I've tried deleting the gmail BIS account and reloading, but that didn't work...
I've been fighting this same issue.
When I upgraded my Storm to a Storm2, the new phone had the syncing option already on, even though I was using the Google Sync App.
It totally hosed up my contact list both on Gmail and my BB. I had 11+ identical entries for each contact! So I had to wipe my BB address book, wipe my Gmail address book and restore an older backup (thank god I had one!).
So I figured I'd try turning off the Google Sync App, and try to use the new native Syncing on the BB OS. I wish I hadn't, because now I have everybody I've ever even emailed in my BB.
I use contact groups in Gmail to manage all the contacts, and the Google Sync app was smart enough to only Sycn ones in the "My Contacts" group (i.e. contacts I specified as "keepers").
I guess I am going to have to wipe the BB contact list (again), and turn off native sync and turn back on the Google Sync app.
The Google app has always worked perfectly for me - not a single problem.
Let me know if anybody comes up with a fix or workaround so that we don't have to rely on a 3rd party app to sync our contacts. I'd prefer to use the built-in sync method, if it wasn't so damn sucky...
Wirelessly posted (Stormy 4)
Well the fix I have found is for u to delete ur contacts and re address book before u synced. But don't turn on google sync just yet. That's what I found to be a fix when I was syncin
Tags for this Thread