BBM on BB10? for playbook
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: BBM on BB10? for playbook

  1. #1
    Colin Mckechnie is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2
    Liked
    0 times

    BBM on BB10? for playbook

    guys know nothing about blackberry always been an apple fan however since daughter has moved from BB to iphone she is missing BBM any truth that BBM will be available via wi-fi after BB10? if so will pick up a playbook as they seem cheap just now




  2. #2
    Goku is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow Goku On Twitter Add Goku on Facebook Visit Goku's Youtube Channel
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canada
    PIN
    29D18DEE
    Device
    Bold 9900
    OS
    7.1.0.794
    Carrier
    Bell
    Posts
    76
    Liked
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Mckechnie View Post
    guys know nothing about blackberry always been an apple fan however since daughter has moved from BB to iphone she is missing BBM any truth that BBM will be available via wi-fi after BB10? if so will pick up a playbook as they seem cheap just now
    RIM has absolutely no business incentive to release BBM over WiFi only. I believe the PlayBook will have BBM at some point but I'm pretty sure it'll be tied to a BlackBerry ID which already has an active BIS account or come up with some subscription model. The Dev Alpha actually has a fairly full featured BBM application but then again it's not a device for sale.

  3. #3
    Colin Mckechnie is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2
    Liked
    0 times
    ah not so good appreciate the response, as for no business incentive, i think they would shift a hell of a lot more if they did include BBM as it seems to be the main selling point of a blackberry suppose it would hit phone sales though so i see your point

  4. #4
    Goku is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow Goku On Twitter Add Goku on Facebook Visit Goku's Youtube Channel
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canada
    PIN
    29D18DEE
    Device
    Bold 9900
    OS
    7.1.0.794
    Carrier
    Bell
    Posts
    76
    Liked
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Mckechnie View Post
    ah not so good appreciate the response, as for no business incentive, i think they would shift a hell of a lot more if they did include BBM as it seems to be the main selling point of a blackberry suppose it would hit phone sales though so i see your point
    Actually I see your point but at the same time that's like saying I'm buying an iPhone for the iTunes store, personally I don't think people use BlackBerry for the sole purpose of BBM. Buying a device for one app seems kind of ridiculous especially since there are a plethora of crossplatform messaging clients.

    BBM is more like an incentive to choose BlackBerry over other products. I wouldn't say it's the sole reason why people use a BlackBerry.

  5. #5
    Joe Jerde's Avatar
    Joe Jerde is offline Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    10.0.9.2743
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Posts
    7,834
    Liked
    1502 times
    I'm pretty sure on the BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha you can BBM on WIFI without a BlackBerry data plan.

    Click the button in the bottom right of a post to say thanks!
    Downloads Center | Rules and Guidelines l BlackBerry 10 Zone

  6. #6
    Goku is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow Goku On Twitter Add Goku on Facebook Visit Goku's Youtube Channel
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Canada
    PIN
    29D18DEE
    Device
    Bold 9900
    OS
    7.1.0.794
    Carrier
    Bell
    Posts
    76
    Liked
    24 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jerde View Post
    I'm pretty sure on the BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha you can BBM on WIFI without a BlackBerry data plan.
    Correct

    BBM On the Dev Alpha actually looks pretty sweet. Just don't use the same BlackBerry ID for both devices, I learned that lesson the hard way. RIM will kill the Dev Alphas OTA so having BBM for us on the Dev Alpha is more temporary though. Although yes it does prove BBM can and will work over WiFi (Also if your BlackBerry has no reception BIS will work via WiFi).

  7. #7
    Xopher is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie Follow Xopher On Twitter
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    PIN
    21C032B0
    Device
    Bold 9700
    OS
    BB6
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    1 times
    RIM has also said that when BB10 devices are released, they will require a BIS/BES data plan.

    The Dev Alpha is the odd sock, giving temporary access to BBM via wifi so developers can work with the APIs.

  8. #8
    MaxxBerry's Avatar
    MaxxBerry is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow MaxxBerry On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Germany
    PIN
    2AA058ED
    Device
    White Z10 & PB
    OS
    10.0.10.648 & 2.1
    Carrier
    Vodafone D2
    Posts
    17
    Liked
    10 times
    As RIM has confirmed the BB10 update for the WiFi PlayBook, I'm pretty sure there will be BBM in it too. To clarify, RIM hasn't stated anything yet concerning BIS or BES as requirement for access to all features. I personally think that they're gonna drop the BB service plan especially to regain marketshare in North America and Europe.
    To Colin: Why don't you get your daughter a BB10 device when they're out? She'll sure love the L-Series

  9. #9
    Xopher is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie Follow Xopher On Twitter
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    PIN
    21C032B0
    Device
    Bold 9700
    OS
    BB6
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    1 times
    RIM has stated that BB10 devices will require a service plan:

    BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha A and B – What Developers Need To Know «BlackBerry Developer Blog

    Towards the bottom of that article, RIM specifically states that the Dev Alpha devices have access without BIS, but that release devices will require a service plan. BIS and BES are going to stay around. The only thing that isn't clear is if the PlayBook (wifi version) will require the service plan. I'm sure it would be a lot easier to have that requirement on the 4G models, since those go through carriers.

  10. #10
    Joe Jerde's Avatar
    Joe Jerde is offline Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    10.0.9.2743
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Posts
    7,834
    Liked
    1502 times
    I think they have to keep BB devices on BIS or BES to keep security through their own servers.

    Click the button in the bottom right of a post to say thanks!
    Downloads Center | Rules and Guidelines l BlackBerry 10 Zone

  11. #11
    ice2921's Avatar
    ice2921 is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow ice2921 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    USA
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    10.0.10.684
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Posts
    2,544
    Liked
    754 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    RIM has stated that BB10 devices will require a service plan:

    BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha A and B – What Developers Need To Know «BlackBerry Developer Blog

    Towards the bottom of that article, RIM specifically states that the Dev Alpha devices have access without BIS, but that release devices will require a service plan. BIS and BES are going to stay around. The only thing that isn't clear is if the PlayBook (wifi version) will require the service plan. I'm sure it would be a lot easier to have that requirement on the 4G models, since those go through carriers.
    May just be able to use it through the bridge connection.

Similar Threads

  1. NEW : Discuss: RIM Begins Prepping Carriers For BB10, Confirms Six BB10 Phones
    By ice2921 in forum BlackBerry News and Rumors
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-18-2014, 05:54 AM
  2. Afraid Of RIM And BB10
    By DonMariano in forum BlackBerry News and Rumors
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-11-2012, 05:29 AM
  3. PlayBook bb10?
    By scottish_dan in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 10-02-2012, 06:42 AM
  4. BB10 phone
    By merlin29 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-17-2012, 11:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •