UK VPN provider that works with the Playbook?
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: UK VPN provider that works with the Playbook?

  1. #1
    rafiki is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Spain
    Device
    PB64, Bold 9900
    OS
    2.1 beta
    Carrier
    Vodafone ES
    Posts
    175
    Liked
    16 times

    UK VPN provider that works with the Playbook?

    Has anyone found a UK VPN provider that can be configured with the Playbook? Neither UKproxyserver.co.uk nor Foxyproxy are compatible unfortunately.




  2. #2
    ice2921's Avatar
    ice2921 is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow ice2921 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    USA
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    10.0.10.684
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Posts
    2,544
    Liked
    751 times
    If your looking for a free solution there are not that many that are worth it. You can take a look at https://www.vpnreactor.com/ from what it looks like they have a pretty decent service. They even have a PlayBook tutorial, and a server located in the UK. Hope this helps.

  3. #3
    rafiki is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Spain
    Device
    PB64, Bold 9900
    OS
    2.1 beta
    Carrier
    Vodafone ES
    Posts
    175
    Liked
    16 times
    Thanks ICE. Free is not necessary. I am prepared to pay for a reliable, fast service.

  4. #4
    ice2921's Avatar
    ice2921 is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow ice2921 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    USA
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    10.0.10.684
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Posts
    2,544
    Liked
    751 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rafiki View Post
    Thanks ICE. Free is not necessary. I am prepared to pay for a reliable, fast service.
    Ok take a look at the link I posted and post back your thoughts.

  5. #5
    rafiki is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Spain
    Device
    PB64, Bold 9900
    OS
    2.1 beta
    Carrier
    Vodafone ES
    Posts
    175
    Liked
    16 times
    I took a 3 day trial plan. I have it set up on the PB and PC. Setting up the PC was a doddle, the PB not so easy. The video tutorial was almost incomprehensible but the detailed instructions below the video were long but comprehensive and I got it working OK. At first I couldn't stream BBC iPlayer but I noticed that the written instructions told me to enter the sstp server but, of course, the UK server was required. Once changed it all worked OK. I'll report again when I've used it more. Thanks for the pointer ICE.
    ice2921 likes this.

  6. #6
    ice2921's Avatar
    ice2921 is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow ice2921 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    USA
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    10.0.10.684
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Posts
    2,544
    Liked
    751 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rafiki View Post
    I took a 3 day trial plan. I have it set up on the PB and PC. Setting up the PC was a doddle, the PB not so easy. The video tutorial was almost incomprehensible but the detailed instructions below the video were long but comprehensive and I got it working OK. At first I couldn't stream BBC iPlayer but I noticed that the written instructions told me to enter the sstp server but, of course, the UK server was required. Once changed it all worked OK. I'll report again when I've used it more. Thanks for the pointer ICE.
    Cool let us know.

  7. #7
    rafiki is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Spain
    Device
    PB64, Bold 9900
    OS
    2.1 beta
    Carrier
    Vodafone ES
    Posts
    175
    Liked
    16 times
    Hmmm. Problems. As I said yesterday I connected OK first time. However when I restarted the PB this morning the VPN profile was gone! I re-entered the parameters and checked and re-checked them against the instructions. When I clicked save/connect the spinning green circle just sits there for hours. No connection. My PC is connected and is working.

    Copying and pasting this to VPNreactor support now.

  8. #8
    grimreaper's Avatar
    grimreaper is offline BlackBerryOS Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    T-Dot, ON
    PIN
    ask me
    Device
    9900+9380+Alpha
    OS
    7.1.0.714 [Leak]
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Posts
    1,635
    Liked
    497 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rafiki View Post
    Hmmm. Problems. As I said yesterday I connected OK first time. However when I restarted the PB this morning the VPN profile was gone! I re-entered the parameters and checked and re-checked them against the instructions. When I clicked save/connect the spinning green circle just sits there for hours. No connection. My PC is connected and is working.

    Copying and pasting this to VPNreactor support now.
    Hello rafiki, check out Managing VPN Profiles - User Guide - BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet - 2.0

    As ice2921 mentioned above, that VPNReactor PlayBook Tutorial looks pretty good, maybe re-checking your settings, and saving them again.

    Thank you.

  9. #9
    rafiki is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Spain
    Device
    PB64, Bold 9900
    OS
    2.1 beta
    Carrier
    Vodafone ES
    Posts
    175
    Liked
    16 times
    Thanks grimreaper. Yes I have checked again and again the written instructions (that worked OK first time). I even got my wife to read the settings out for me then check them herself. Still no joy I'm afraid.

    I'm also baffled why the original profile was lost when I shut down. I did save and connect and checked the profile was listed. Now it isn't.

  10. #10
    ice2921's Avatar
    ice2921 is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow ice2921 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    USA
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    10.0.10.684
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Posts
    2,544
    Liked
    751 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rafiki View Post
    Thanks grimreaper. Yes I have checked again and again the written instructions (that worked OK first time). I even got my wife to read the settings out for me then check them herself. Still no joy I'm afraid.

    I'm also baffled why the original profile was lost when I shut down. I did save and connect and checked the profile was listed. Now it isn't.
    There have been other reports of the PlayBook dropping WiFi connections after a reboot for no reason. I do not think there was ever formal fix for it either. The good thing is that you should not have to reboot very often on the PlayBook. Let us know what support says.

  11. #11
    rafiki is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Spain
    Device
    PB64, Bold 9900
    OS
    2.1 beta
    Carrier
    Vodafone ES
    Posts
    175
    Liked
    16 times
    Problem is ICE the PB won't save ANY VPN profile now!

  12. #12
    ice2921's Avatar
    ice2921 is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow ice2921 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    USA
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    10.0.10.684
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Posts
    2,544
    Liked
    751 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rafiki View Post
    Problem is ICE the PB won't save ANY VPN profile now!
    What about your WiFi profile? If you remove it and add it will it save?

  13. #13
    rafiki is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Spain
    Device
    PB64, Bold 9900
    OS
    2.1 beta
    Carrier
    Vodafone ES
    Posts
    175
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ice2921 View Post
    What about your WiFi profile? If you remove it and add it will it save?
    Hmmm. Not sure if I want to risk doing that at the moment. If I lose the WiFi too I am left with a brick!

  14. #14
    grimreaper's Avatar
    grimreaper is offline BlackBerryOS Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    T-Dot, ON
    PIN
    ask me
    Device
    9900+9380+Alpha
    OS
    7.1.0.714 [Leak]
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Posts
    1,635
    Liked
    497 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rafiki View Post
    Hmmm. Not sure if I want to risk doing that at the moment. If I lose the WiFi too I am left with a brick!
    Hi rafiki, go to your BlackBerry PlayBook Wi-Fi, go to Saved Profiles, and delete the current profile you use to connect to that wireless network (and no you won't brick it) then reattempt adding the WiFi SSID make sure it's saved in your PlayBook.

    Check out these links I have provided for you;




    Also, I found a great (Solved) thread via BlackBerry Support Community Forums




    Keep us posted if you require any further help.

    Thank you.

  15. #15
    rafiki is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Spain
    Device
    PB64, Bold 9900
    OS
    2.1 beta
    Carrier
    Vodafone ES
    Posts
    175
    Liked
    16 times
    As noted elsewhere on this forum the problem solved itself with the upgrade to OS 2.1 Beta. After the upgrade the VPN profile reappeared and worked first time! What was causing it to be hidden in 2.0 I know not.

  16. #16
    grimreaper's Avatar
    grimreaper is offline BlackBerryOS Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    T-Dot, ON
    PIN
    ask me
    Device
    9900+9380+Alpha
    OS
    7.1.0.714 [Leak]
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Posts
    1,635
    Liked
    497 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rafiki View Post
    As noted elsewhere on this forum the problem solved itself with the upgrade to OS 2.1 Beta. After the upgrade the VPN profile reappeared and worked first time! What was causing it to be hidden in 2.0 I know not.
    That is interesting that you were having issues with VPN using the Official BlackBerry PlayBook OS2.0, but as soon as you upgraded to OS2.1 Beta, it worked.

    I guess for what it's worth, I'd say just enjoy your PlayBook, issue is now gone

    Just make sure that the VPN profile has been saved properly

    Thank you.

  17. #17
    rafiki is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Spain
    Device
    PB64, Bold 9900
    OS
    2.1 beta
    Carrier
    Vodafone ES
    Posts
    175
    Liked
    16 times
    More than that grimreaper. On OS 2.0 I made the VPN profile and save and connected fine the first time. After a shutdown and reboot the profile had disappeared and even though I could re-enter the profile details it woud not save or save/connect. After upgrading to OS 2.1, without any input from me, the profile was there and worked first time!

  18. #18
    ice2921's Avatar
    ice2921 is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow ice2921 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    USA
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    10.0.10.684
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Posts
    2,544
    Liked
    751 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rafiki View Post
    More than that grimreaper. On OS 2.0 I made the VPN profile and save and connected fine the first time. After a shutdown and reboot the profile had disappeared and even though I could re-enter the profile details it woud not save or save/connect. After upgrading to OS 2.1, without any input from me, the profile was there and worked first time!
    It was most likely the OS reload that fixed it. It would be interesting to see if it happens again if you ever revert back to the previous OS.

  19. #19
    pattinson is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Device
    Bold 4
    Posts
    3
    Liked
    0 times
    StrongVpn is the best service I have heard of in the field. In one year's use I have never experienced any unscheduled downtime, and any maintenance is advertised by email many days in advance. Service is first rate, and support is 24/7 - though I have never needed it. I would recommend StrongVPN without hesitation, and have done so to many of my friends.
    Last edited by pattinson; 05-02-2013 at 08:45 AM.

  20. #20
    ttsaon is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Device
    playbook
    Posts
    8
    Liked
    7 times
    Please use the following settings to setup the IPSEC VPN:

    • Go to Settings
    • Security



    Add New VPN Profile

    Now we need to actually setup the VPN using using the proper settings

    • Server Address: cnipsec.vpntraffic.com
      Gateway Type: Cisco Secure PIX Firewall VPN
      Authentication Type: XAUTH-PSK
      Group Username: ipsec
      Group Password: ipsec
      Hard Token: leave unchecked
      Username: Enter your VPN Username
    • Password: Your VPN Password


    Click save and connect You should now be connected to the blackberry playbook vpn.
    Last edited by ttsaon; 07-29-2013 at 03:33 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. No browser configuration service book,contact you provider
    By frances88 in forum BlackBerry Tour 9630
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2011, 04:12 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-15-2011, 04:23 PM
  3. OS for AT&T Provider
    By ican04x in forum BlackBerry Bold 9700
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-15-2010, 09:19 AM
  4. Get any Blackberry FREE? With any provider?
    By Brett Wyman in forum BlackBerry News and Rumors
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 06-15-2009, 02:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •