Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 15

  1. #1
    dbone15's Avatar
    dbone15 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NYC
    PIN
    Bwahahaha!
    Device
    Tour 9630 & Sto
    OS
    Always Changing
    Posts
    161

    RIM To Release BlackBerry Tablet?


    There are some rumors floating around which seem to be creating a lot of buzz that RIM will be producing a BlackBerry tablet for release in late 2010. Hon Hai (better known as Foxconn), an electric components manufacturing company has let out a report that RIM has placed an order for 8.9 inch displays to be used in a tablet. Hon Hai just happens to be the same manufacturer that produced the screens for the extremely popular Amazon Kindle. This can only lead one to believe that RIM is planning to release a device to compete with the iPad. I for one, really like the idea of a RIM tablet, but it has to be innovative in the sense that it should offer features that no other device on the market currently has. I personally would love to see a BlackBerry tablet with USB capabilities as well as a front facing camera as well as the ability to tether with my device. If it doesn't equal or exceed the iPad, then it just looks as if they are just trying to keep up with Apple while lagging far behind as we saw with the release of the BlackBerry Storm. I'm very curious to see how BlackBerry users feel about this news.
    Last edited by dbone15; 04-10-2010 at 12:47 AM.



  2. #2
    Hodges's Avatar
    Hodges is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    PIN
    312939D8
    Device
    9550
    OS
    5.0.0.607
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by dbone15 View Post

    There are some rumors floating around which seem to be creating a lot of buzz that RIM will be producing a BlackBerry tablet for release in late 2010. Hon Hai (better known as Foxconn), an electric components manufacturing company has let out a report that RIM has placed an order for 8.9 inch displays to be used in a tablet. Hon Hai just happens to be the same manufacturer that produced the screens for the extremely popular Amazon Kindle. This can only lead one to believe that RIM is planning to release a device to compete with the iPad. I for one, really like the idea of a RIM tablet, but it has to be innovative in the sense that it should offer features that no other device on the market currently has. I personally would love to see a BlackBerry tablet with USB capabilities as well as a front facing camera as well as the ability to tether with my device. If it doesn't equal or exceed the iPad, then it just looks as if they are just trying to keep up with Apple while lagging far behind as we saw with the release of the BlackBerry Storm. I'm very curious to see how BlackBerry users feel about this news.
    I for one was kind of shocked when I heard about this. I think RIM should be more focused on their OS and webkit. Especially since the HP Slate is stiring up some noise. It seems that RIM is trying to stay with the times but they need to do some serious catch up work before they release their own version of a tablet but that's just my opinion.

  3. #3
    dbone15's Avatar
    dbone15 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NYC
    PIN
    Bwahahaha!
    Device
    Tour 9630 & Sto
    OS
    Always Changing
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbizzles View Post
    I for one was kind of shocked when I heard about this. I think RIM should be more focused on their OS and webkit. Especially since the HP Slate is stiring up some noise. It seems that RIM is trying to stay with the times but they need to do some serious catch up work before they release their own version of a tablet but that's just my opinion.
    I echo your sentiments. Seems like RIM is becoming the jack of all trades and master of none.



  4. #4
    Madasafish's Avatar
    Madasafish is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow Madasafish On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    UK
    PIN
    suck it...
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    BB10
    Carrier
    3
    Posts
    335
    I think you are barking up the wrong tree.
    I dont think RIM is gonna make a tablet instead this is linked to RIM's takeover of QNX.

    They are linked to automotive computer audio and video systems. You are more likely to see a Blackberry dash in a vehicle than a tablet from RIM.

  5. #5
    Orio's Avatar
    Orio is offline BlackBerryOS Fanatic
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Christiansburg, VA
    PIN
    ch hitter.
    Device
    storm2 9550 VZW
    Posts
    1,304
    Quote Originally Posted by Madasafish View Post
    I think you are barking up the wrong tree.
    I dont think RIM is gonna make a tablet instead this is linked to RIM's takeover of QNX.

    They are linked to automotive computer audio and video systems. You are more likely to see a Blackberry dash in a vehicle than a tablet from RIM.

    We were actually debating this last night, before this article was posted, and I took the stance that these two moves were unrelated. I, of course, have absolutely zero knowledge of what RIM's purpose in ordering 8.9" screens is. I proposed that since Hon Hai produced the screens for the Kindle, it COULD be likely that a pad was in the works at RIM. I think the purchase of QNX is for RIM software integration into automotive on-board services and entertainment systems.

    It's fun to speculate and certainly feeds healthy debates.

    I guess all we can do is "sit back, watch, and enjoy the ride" :biglaugh:

    Last edited by Orio; 04-10-2010 at 08:35 AM.



  6. #6
    Bitpartdemon's Avatar
    Bitpartdemon is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow Bitpartdemon On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    PIN
    2350E958
    Device
    9800/ PB
    OS
    6.0.0.246
    Posts
    127
    I agree with everyone so far, I'm not so sure how I feel about this. I realize its about 'keeping up' but at what cost? Isn't there some things that need to be updated first? If its rushed will it just need a crap load of updates right away or a "2" version within a year? Don't get me wrong, its a cool idea and would be eager to have one. But maybe not version 1.
    Posted via mobile device

  7. #7
    Madasafish's Avatar
    Madasafish is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow Madasafish On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    UK
    PIN
    suck it...
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    BB10
    Carrier
    3
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by Orio View Post
    We were actually debating this last night, before this article was posted, and I took the stance that these two moves were unrelated. I, of course, have absolutely zero knowledge of what RIM's purpose in ordering 8.9" screens is. I proposed that since Hon Hai produced the screens for the Kindle, it COULD be likely that a pad was in the works at RIM. I think the purchase of QNX is for RIM software integration into automotive on-board services and entertainment systems.

    It's fun to speculate and certainly feeds healthy debates.

    I guess all we can do is "sit back, watch, and enjoy the ride" :biglaugh:

    Old pal, I agree with you 100%, I too have no knowledge of what RIM is doing either LMAO.

    I wish i did then I would go to the bookies and bet on a RIM tablet or Infosystem in a car

    we would be good then

  8. #8
    sunkast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Madasafish View Post
    I think you are barking up the wrong tree.
    I dont think RIM is gonna make a tablet instead this is linked to RIM's takeover of QNX.

    They are linked to automotive computer audio and video systems. You are more likely to see a Blackberry dash in a vehicle than a tablet from RIM.
    I happen to agree with you. Orio and I were having it out last night debating this lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •