RIM Disables GSM on BlackBerry Storm
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: RIM Disables GSM on BlackBerry Storm

  1. #1
    edemunsta is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow edemunsta On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    CA
    PIN
    THIS!!!
    Device
    STORM 9530
    OS
    OS BBC Hybrid v10! Tmobile
    Posts
    136
    Liked
    0 times

    RIM Disables GSM on BlackBerry Storm

    This caught me off guard since I am on Tmobile, Ugh...

    BlackBerry Storm Disabled On AT&T & T-Mobile, Cheeky Verizon

    BlackBerry Storm Disabled On AT&T & T-Mobile, Cheeky Verizon Friday, 11 June 2010 20:34 Sara Hooper BlackBerry Storm
    RIM's BlackBerry Storm is the Canadian company's answer to the iPhone 4. A full touchscreen handset that is a Verizon exclusive in the US by RIM's choice. However now it will also have to be the customer's choice too as reports have been pouring in this week that BlackBerry Storm users who either imported the handset from Europe or just purchased it without a contract from Verizon and are using the GSM slot with other carriers like T-Mobile and AT&T, can no no longer do so. The ability to do so has apparently been disabled by RIM.

    BlackBerry Storm 9530
    Previously, those who wished to use the BlackBerry Storm on other carriers that supported GSM like AT&T and T-Mobile simply inserted the 3rd party carrier's SIM card and were no longer stuck with Verizon, albeit forced to connect with 2G speeds only.

    The newest reports suggest that T-Mobile BlackBerry Storm users are hit first, being unable to operate RIM's phone's service books that allows connecting between the carrier and RIM's BIS servers i.e. emails.

    The speculations currently point to RIM having pulled the kill switch on its belowed 'Stormtroopers' at the request of Verizon. RIM has been known to be quite chummy with carriers so this is no surprise. One such case can be seen if you try and purchase new apps from App World, you are forced to do it via your network's 3G service even if you are within a WiFi area. This is in order for users to maintain a data plan with their carriers. Cheeky cheeky RIM.

    Unfortunately, T-Mobile hasn't been very helpful with the situation and it's understandable. Not their phone, not their problem. Can we expect the same from AT&T?


    PBJ | PBJ Gear | M1926 Tech News Blog
    Storming on Tmobile - 9530


  2. #2
    jcorv58's Avatar
    jcorv58 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MN
    PIN
    223A7502
    Device
    Bold 9700
    OS
    .743
    Posts
    146
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by edemunsta View Post
    This caught me off guard since I am on Tmobile, Ugh...

    BlackBerry Storm Disabled On AT&T & T-Mobile, Cheeky Verizon

    BlackBerry Storm Disabled On AT&T & T-Mobile, Cheeky Verizon Friday, 11 June 2010 20:34 Sara Hooper BlackBerry Storm
    RIM's BlackBerry Storm is the Canadian company's answer to the iPhone 4. A full touchscreen handset that is a Verizon exclusive in the US by RIM's choice. However now it will also have to be the customer's choice too as reports have been pouring in this week that BlackBerry Storm users who either imported the handset from Europe or just purchased it without a contract from Verizon and are using the GSM slot with other carriers like T-Mobile and AT&T, can no no longer do so. The ability to do so has apparently been disabled by RIM.

    BlackBerry Storm 9530
    Previously, those who wished to use the BlackBerry Storm on other carriers that supported GSM like AT&T and T-Mobile simply inserted the 3rd party carrier's SIM card and were no longer stuck with Verizon, albeit forced to connect with 2G speeds only.

    The newest reports suggest that T-Mobile BlackBerry Storm users are hit first, being unable to operate RIM's phone's service books that allows connecting between the carrier and RIM's BIS servers i.e. emails.

    The speculations currently point to RIM having pulled the kill switch on its belowed 'Stormtroopers' at the request of Verizon. RIM has been known to be quite chummy with carriers so this is no surprise. One such case can be seen if you try and purchase new apps from App World, you are forced to do it via your network's 3G service even if you are within a WiFi area. This is in order for users to maintain a data plan with their carriers. Cheeky cheeky RIM.

    Unfortunately, T-Mobile hasn't been very helpful with the situation and it's understandable. Not their phone, not their problem. Can we expect the same from AT&T?
    Yeah this is quite upsetting, my storm stopped working last friday evening and I ended up on the phone with all sorts of tech support for nearly 4 hours and nothing could be done, I wouldn't say Tmobile was unhelpful though, being as I was on the phone with them for that long, I wouldn't go as far as bashing Tmobile for this either. They were extremely helpful the first time I got the storm and were helpful at trying to get this resolved as well. I said eff it afterwards and got the 9700-it's the phone I wanted way back before anyway, so I'm over it.
    Posted via mobile device

  3. #3
    dbone15's Avatar
    dbone15 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NYC
    PIN
    Bwahahaha!
    Device
    Tour 9630 & Sto
    OS
    Always Changing
    Posts
    161
    Liked
    1 times
    I think their strategy was perfectly demonstrated with you. They sold you a phone. That is if it is a t-mob or att strategy. Maybe vzw just doesn't want the storm bring used on other carriers.

  4. #4
    edemunsta is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow edemunsta On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    CA
    PIN
    THIS!!!
    Device
    STORM 9530
    OS
    OS BBC Hybrid v10! Tmobile
    Posts
    136
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jcorv58 View Post
    Yeah this is quite upsetting, my storm stopped working last friday evening and I ended up on the phone with all sorts of tech support for nearly 4 hours and nothing could be done, I wouldn't say Tmobile was unhelpful though, being as I was on the phone with them for that long, I wouldn't go as far as bashing Tmobile for this either. They were extremely helpful the first time I got the storm and were helpful at trying to get this resolved as well. I said eff it afterwards and got the 9700-it's the phone I wanted way back before anyway, so I'm over it.
    Posted via mobile device
    My storm stopped working yesterday. The odd thing is my wifes storm is still up on EDGE. She is on Tmo as well. Very odd.
    PBJ | PBJ Gear | M1926 Tech News Blog
    Storming on Tmobile - 9530

  5. #5
    jcorv58's Avatar
    jcorv58 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MN
    PIN
    223A7502
    Device
    Bold 9700
    OS
    .743
    Posts
    146
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by edemunsta View Post
    My storm stopped working yesterday. The odd thing is my wifes storm is still up on EDGE. She is on Tmo as well. Very odd.
    Mine showed EDGE too and I had the data arrows receiving and sending out but there was still no data working unless I was on wifi, I guess there are reports that some people are still holding strong-eventually their phone could crap out later...?
    Posted via mobile device

  6. #6
    MJS's Avatar
    MJS
    MJS is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow MJS On Twitter
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    PIN
    333C8F0F
    Device
    Z10/PB32
    OS
    10.1.2009/2.1.0.840
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Posts
    280
    Liked
    27 times
    I think they did this so there is less competition for when 9800 comes out on GSM. It makes me a little anxious.
    Posted via mobile device

  7. #7
    Hodges's Avatar
    Hodges is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    PIN
    312939D8
    Device
    9550
    OS
    5.0.0.607
    Posts
    450
    Liked
    4 times
    I wonder if this is true for the Tour as well. I have tried everything to get my buddy's to work and he gets EDGE but no data. :Eyecrazy:

  8. #8
    ealvnv's Avatar
    ealvnv is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow ealvnv On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Saturn
    PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Posts
    2,405
    Liked
    8 times
    I said this many times and ppl doesn't seem to listen, go to your mytmobile page via pc, set your phone as any BlackBerry® T-Mobile supports and resend the service books, if u got EDGE u got working service...
    Posted via mobile device

  9. #9
    jcorv58's Avatar
    jcorv58 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MN
    PIN
    223A7502
    Device
    Bold 9700
    OS
    .743
    Posts
    146
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    I said this many times and ppl doesn't seem to listen, go to your mytmobile page via pc, set your phone as any BlackBerry® T-Mobile supports and resend the service books, if u got EDGE u got working service...
    Posted via mobile device
    For some reason I was never able to access that page, everytime I tried going to it, it would just reload the page I was on, I've actually managed to get on it twice since I've had the storm(s) for the past year. And like I said earlier, I had EDGE but was still not sending or receiving data-no data intensive apps worked still
    Posted via mobile device
    Last edited by jcorv58; 06-13-2010 at 12:09 PM.

  10. #10
    Hodges's Avatar
    Hodges is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    PIN
    312939D8
    Device
    9550
    OS
    5.0.0.607
    Posts
    450
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    I said this many times and ppl doesn't seem to listen, go to your mytmobile page via pc, set your phone as any BlackBerry® T-Mobile supports and resend the service books, if u got EDGE u got working service...
    Posted via mobile device
    I have tried this multiple times E. The Tour gets no activation msgs or any signs of receiving the service books from the website.
    Posted via mobile device

  11. #11
    edemunsta is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow edemunsta On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    CA
    PIN
    THIS!!!
    Device
    STORM 9530
    OS
    OS BBC Hybrid v10! Tmobile
    Posts
    136
    Liked
    0 times
    My EDGE is back, I did not do anything but wait... woke up 6/23 and looked at my phone and it had EDGE! I guess they really were working on this problem. Now when I checked my tmobile site it sees my storm and pin. before it would show my old curve info and it would not detect my storm. Tmobile changed something because it looked different before. Before you were able to change your device pin manually. But now its setup as Detect new Device. Just glad they got everything straighted out. My EDGE was edge for two weeks. Tmobile did admit that it was affecting some of the unlocked devices on tmobile.
    Last edited by edemunsta; 06-25-2010 at 06:51 PM.
    PBJ | PBJ Gear | M1926 Tech News Blog
    Storming on Tmobile - 9530

  12. #12
    jcorv58's Avatar
    jcorv58 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MN
    PIN
    223A7502
    Device
    Bold 9700
    OS
    .743
    Posts
    146
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by edemunsta View Post
    My EDGE is back, I did not do anything but wait... woke up 6/23 and looked at my phone and it had EDGE! I guess they really were working on this problem. Now when I checked my tmobile site it sees my storm and pin. before it would show my old curve info and it would not detect my storm. Tmobile changed something because it looked different before. Before you were able to change your device pin manually. But now its setup as Detect new Device. Just glad they got everything straighted out. My EDGE was edge for two weeks. Tmobile did admit that it was affecting some of the unlocked devices on tmobile.
    I've been hearing this for a few days now, I'm kinda pissed because I was hoping it was gonna be resolved before my 14 days were up with my new phone,(I wonder if I can still get a refund for putting up with this ****?) but now I haven't even bothered to check my storm and see if mine works also.
    Posted via mobile device

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •