Video - How to backup your Third-Party Applications - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: Video - How to backup your Third-Party Applications

  1. #21
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    Great job, team!!! The link to this guide is also included in the Help Guide
    Last edited by Bryan; 05-21-2009 at 03:50 PM.




  2. #22
    tamara's Avatar
    tamara is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Manitoba
    PIN
    30888EAE
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .591
    Posts
    92
    Liked
    0 times
    I backed everything up on my first phone yesterday and am trying to back it up again today to upgrade my OS. Except today it's not finding the folder when I search for my PIN. All I am getting is to XML (?) files but not temp folders?

    ~t

  3. #23
    olta777 is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    VZW Droid
    OS
    Custom ROM
    Posts
    4,702
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tamara View Post
    I backed everything up on my first phone yesterday and am trying to back it up again today to upgrade my OS. Except today it's not finding the folder when I search for my PIN. All I am getting is to XML (?) files but not temp folders?

    ~t
    Are you searching hidden folders and system folders as well?

  4. #24
    Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    8,535
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tamara View Post
    I backed everything up on my first phone yesterday and am trying to back it up again today to upgrade my OS. Except today it's not finding the folder when I search for my PIN. All I am getting is to XML (?) files but not temp folders?

    ~t
    Tamara when you backed up your 3rd party apps yesterday did you move the pin folder? Sometimes if you don't move that folder it will delete the folder when you click cancel on the device switcher

  5. #25
    tamara's Avatar
    tamara is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Manitoba
    PIN
    30888EAE
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .591
    Posts
    92
    Liked
    0 times
    I did move it and put it on my desktop in a folder I called BB Backups so I could keep track of them all.

    Olta yes I did check off the hidden files and folders as well. Maybe I will start again from the beginning and see if I missed a step. GREAT VIDEO!

    Bryan, could I have lost the file because I cut and copied it elsewhere? UGH!
    This learning curve is steep. haha.

    ~t

  6. #26
    Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    8,535
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tamara View Post
    I did move it and put it on my desktop in a folder I called BB Backups so I could keep track of them all.

    Olta yes I did check off the hidden files and folders as well. Maybe I will start again from the beginning and see if I missed a step. GREAT VIDEO!

    Bryan, could I have lost the file because I cut and copied it elsewhere? UGH!
    This learning curve is steep. haha.

    ~t
    No that is what I do and the pin folder is missing from your BB Backups folder?

  7. #27
    tamara's Avatar
    tamara is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Manitoba
    PIN
    30888EAE
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .591
    Posts
    92
    Liked
    0 times
    Ya, the only PIN folder in there is from the one device I took back yesterday. My new PIN isn't anywhere to be found.

  8. #28
    tamara's Avatar
    tamara is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Manitoba
    PIN
    30888EAE
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .591
    Posts
    92
    Liked
    0 times
    I am going to try rebooting my computer. Hasn't been rebooted for a few days. I am using my work pc for everything BB right now as my cd drive isn't working at home right now. Hopefully have that fixed up this weekend...so I am also in stealth mode here..hehehe I'll try rebooting and get back to you.

  9. #29
    Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    8,535
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tamara View Post
    Ya, the only PIN folder in there is from the one device I took back yesterday. My new PIN isn't anywhere to be found.
    Wait I am confuzzled? Why do you have a pin folder for your new phone? You shouldn't have anything on there yet correct? If you did already restore your old 3rd party apps from your original phone and are now trying to make a back up for your new phone. You need to send your old pin folder to a zip file and then try again.

  10. #30
    Laney's Avatar
    Laney is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,386
    Liked
    2 times
    tamara, if you havent added any 3rd party apps since you changed phone you can just use the backup from your old phone.

  11. #31
    tamara's Avatar
    tamara is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Manitoba
    PIN
    30888EAE
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .591
    Posts
    92
    Liked
    0 times
    ok did that Bryan, still nothing? Can I delete the old file completely if I have already reloaded all my apps?

  12. #32
    Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    8,535
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tamara View Post
    ok did that Bryan, still nothing? Can I delete the old file completely if I have already reloaded all my apps?
    Yes if you have already downloaded your apps to your phone you can delete that old pin number. Then try a back up again

  13. #33
    toytooii is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .419/.692 Hybrid by Lyricidal (Shrunk)
    Posts
    510
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tamara View Post
    ok did that Bryan, still nothing? Can I delete the old file completely if I have already reloaded all my apps?
    If you now have all apps on your new phone, you can delete that backup of your old phone and start anew (if you want). Or, you can just save that back up of third pary apps just in case you have a problem during the OS update process.

    Sounds like you're just about ready for your first OS update install...well on the way to becoming a BB addict. Bryan will skillfully step you through the update. My recommendation would be to start with a straight OS....like .132 and see how you like it.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by toytooii; 05-28-2009 at 02:36 PM.

  14. #34
    tamara's Avatar
    tamara is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Manitoba
    PIN
    30888EAE
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .591
    Posts
    92
    Liked
    0 times
    he he Got it! Thanks guys!

  15. #35
    Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boise
    Posts
    8,535
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tamara View Post
    he he Got it! Thanks guys!
    :banana: Alright :banana:

  16. #36
    Batman's Avatar
    Batman is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow Batman On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Batcave
    Device
    Bold and 8900
    OS
    5.0.0.130 and 4.6.1.231
    Posts
    76
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Laney View Post
    holy teamwork batman :grouphug:
    well said laney :laugh2:
    sent from my BatBerry powered by my money from the Batcave

  17. #37
    kennethmgreen is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Device
    Bold
    Posts
    2
    Liked
    0 times

    Selective restore of 3rd party apps

    Great video. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

    Is it possible to selectively restore 3rd party apps? Or does the restore process require loading them all at once?

    [edit]
    I am assuming I could select only the apps I want to restore from the backed up directory and delete (or move elsewhere) the apps I don't want to restore.

    The problem is that it looks like I would have to edit the alx file, as that contains references to each app. Could get ugly. Is there an easier way?
    Last edited by kennethmgreen; 10-30-2009 at 05:12 PM.

  18. #38
    kennethmgreen is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Device
    Bold
    Posts
    2
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Laney View Post
    look in:

    C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Local\Temp

    i find it easier that way
    Even quicker:

    Start.... Run...
    type: %temp%
    hit Enter

  19. #39
    sunkast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kennethmgreen View Post
    Great video. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

    Is it possible to selectively restore 3rd party apps? Or does the restore process require loading them all at once?

    [edit]
    I am assuming I could select only the apps I want to restore from the backed up directory and delete (or move elsewhere) the apps I don't want to restore.

    The problem is that it looks like I would have to edit the alx file, as that contains references to each app. Could get ugly. Is there an easier way?
    That's pretty much what I do...

  20. #40
    surfbug is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Device
    8900
    OS
    4.5.231
    Posts
    3
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kennethmgreen View Post
    Even quicker:

    Start.... Run...
    type: %temp%
    hit Enter

    that is a cool move right there..... nice! :evil:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •