Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 17

  1. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    bbOSLand
    Device
    Verizon 9530 (S
    OS
    5.0.0.484 (Platform
    Posts
    254
    Does anyone know if there is a method for us to be able to manipulate our PRL listing to make another provider the top choice in whatever area we may be in at the time?

    For example, although I am with Verizon, in a few areas Alltel has all 5 bars, while I have no or 1 bar.

    Would I be able to slide up Alltel to be a preferred in that area, while having Verizon down at say #2?

    Thanks in advance,
    Statustray



  2. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Device
    9650 & 9530
    Posts
    793

    Alltel and Verizon merger

    Quote Originally Posted by statustray View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a method for us to be able to manipulate our PRL listing to make another provider the top choice in whatever area we may be in at the time?

    For example, although I am with Verizon, in a few areas Alltel has all 5 bars, while I have no or 1 bar.

    Would I be able to slide up Alltel to be a preferred in that area, while having Verizon down at say #2?

    Thanks in advance,
    Statustray
    Yes:
    Verizon Wireless will officially closed its $28.1 billion acquisition of Alltel on Jan. 9, according to Verizon Communications.

    Verizon Wireless, which is jointly owned by Verizon Communications and Vodafone, passed all regulatory hurdles on the deal in December. The Federal Trade Commission gave the final approval last month and Verizon also has secured $17 billion in loans to complete the transaction.

    With the Alltel acquisition, Verizon Wireless will have nearly 80 million subscribers, surpassing AT&T Mobility as the top carrier in the United States. Verizon has said it will put a call center in Little Rock, Ark., where Alltel is based, but that it expects many Alltel jobs to be lost after the deal closes.

  3. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Device
    9650 & 9530
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by patronanejo View Post
    Anybody have a PRL reader? Or know if anyone is documenting PRL changes--version numbers and network additions/deletions?
    In portrait press phone key to bring up dial pad, enter #4357* Send.



  4. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    bbOSLand
    Device
    Verizon 9530 (S
    OS
    5.0.0.484 (Platform
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by cruznthru View Post
    Yes:
    Verizon Wireless will officially closed its $28.1 billion acquisition of Alltel on Jan. 9, according to Verizon Communications.

    Verizon Wireless, which is jointly owned by Verizon Communications and Vodafone, passed all regulatory hurdles on the deal in December. The Federal Trade Commission gave the final approval last month and Verizon also has secured $17 billion in loans to complete the transaction.

    With the Alltel acquisition, Verizon Wireless will have nearly 80 million subscribers, surpassing AT&T Mobility as the top carrier in the United States. Verizon has said it will put a call center in Little Rock, Ark., where Alltel is based, but that it expects many Alltel jobs to be lost after the deal closes.
    Yes, I know about the deal being closed between Verizon and Alltel, and from both providers we can call one another (for the most part) and not use our minutes, but my question is can we manipulate our PRL to where in areas Alltel has much better coverage, can we slide down Verizon and make the preferred provider be Alltel??

  5. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Quote Originally Posted by statustray View Post
    Yes, I know about the deal being closed between Verizon and Alltel, and from both providers we can call one another (for the most part) and not use our minutes, but my question is can we manipulate our PRL to where in areas Alltel has much better coverage, can we slide down Verizon and make the preferred provider be Alltel??
    I saw this being discuss the other day and no one really knew the answer to it. My guess is no, since VZW does not allow manual manipulation of much except if your nice enough they will unlock your SIM card for traveling abroad. Maybe someone here has a more definitive answer for you but I have not been able to find a solution to manually manipulate PRL except *22899.



  6. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Device
    9650 & 9530
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by statustray View Post
    Yes, I know about the deal being closed between Verizon and Alltel, and from both providers we can call one another (for the most part) and not use our minutes, but my question is can we manipulate our PRL to where in areas Alltel has much better coverage, can we slide down Verizon and make the preferred provider be Alltel??
    Your talking about system operator codes now, whereas the SID identifies a specific system area, the SOC identifies the operator providing service within that system area. Where multiple service providers are operating in a given area, the SOCs are used in the Intelligent Roaming procedures to select the service provider on a priority basis determined by the Intelligent Roaming Database (IRDB).

  7. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    PIN
    P DADDY
    Device
    Storm 9530 and Tour 9630, Both on VZW
    OS
    5.0.230
    Posts
    108
    Great information! The definition of a PRL is not very well known. I work for a carrier and a guy at work always tells people just to do *228 from home to fix any problem he doesn't want to deal with. It's terribly annoying for those of us who like to help customers. Don't let this happen to you. ; ) Also, Alltel's newest PRL's tell their handsets to look for VZW before Sprint when Alltel cannot be found. It used to be "look for Sprint first if Alltel cannot be found" before the merger. This has resulted in some small changes in Alltel's coverage area but it's for the better.

  8. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydangerous3 View Post
    Great information! The definition of a PRL is not very well known. I work for a carrier and a guy at work always tells people just to do *228 from home to fix any problem he doesn't want to deal with. It's terribly annoying for those of us who like to help customers. Don't let this happen to you. ; ) Also, Alltel's newest PRL's tell their handsets to look for VZW before Sprint when Alltel cannot be found. It used to be "look for Sprint first if Alltel cannot be found" before the merger. This has resulted in some small changes in Alltel's coverage area but it's for the better.
    That's good information, thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •