How to completely remove any OS from Any Device
Ok so here is the program than you'll need to completely wipe a blackberry's file system...
CrackUtil - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
This is a link back to Crackberry. This is the thread with all of the instructions you'll need on how to use Crack Utility. The program is attached to the bottom of the thread.
This is a powerful program that will allow you to change one file at a time on your device, thus saving you from the pains of reinstalling an OS just to swap out one or 2 files.
Now... for removing the complete file system.
1) Once you have downloaded the Crack Utility and installed it to your PC (Windows Vista users must set Administrative Rights) connect your Blackberry.
2) Once the Blackberry is connected, you'll notice at the bottom it informs your of your current OS. Make sure it does this, if it doesn't then your device is not properly connected. (Make sure Mass Storage is on and than you have Administrator Privileges turned on)
3) You'll notice the 3 tabs at the top of the program. "General Settings -Safe" "File Manipulation - Intermediate" & "Clearing Settings - Advanced" PLEASE READ THESE WARNINGS!! When it says Advanced.... don't use this tab unless you know what you're doing!! (or reading my awesome tutorial!)
4) We're gonna use the Advanced tab. MAKE SURE YOU'VE RAN A BACKUP OF YOUR THIRD PARTY APPS AND DEVICE INFO.
5) Once under the Advanced tab click on "Wipe Device Applications". This does the same thing that JL_Cmder does. No big deal...
6) Once the device has rebooted and you get the 507 error, you'll want to go back under the advanced tab and click on "Wipe Device File System". This deletes the devices File System. What we all call the radio code.
7) Ok now every last remnant of 5.0 is gone, it's time to install 4.7 back. This can be tricky because Desktop Manager is not going to even recognize your phone. Neither is the App Loader at first. These next steps are very important to restoring your phone. So follow them carefully.
8) You need to install a whole OS. (NOT A HYBRID!!!) Doesn't matter if it's official or leaked it just needs to be a whole OS. .151 is fine... make sure any other OS's have been removed from your PC. (Control Panel style people)
9) This next set of instructions came from Reed McLay on Crackberry. I am just copying and pasting them for the users here.
Note: Windows 7 beta is not compatible with these instructions.
1. In order to restore the device, you need to have BlackBerry Desktop Manager installed. The original, as supplied on the BlackBerry CD is adaquite. Tip: If you choose to download the newest v4.3, you can save a lot of time by choosing custom install and disabling Roxio Media Manager. At start-up, it really slows things down until it has built up it index of media. Ref #2 links to BlackBerry's download site.
2. After it is installed, you need to install a BlackBerry OS file that is specific to your device. The original version, as supplied by the carrier, is the safe choice, but you can use any model specific version. This is not supplied on your BlackBerry CD, Ref: 3 links to BlackBerry's download pages.
3. Once the OS has been installed, you have to prepare it for the device.
Select Start / Computer and select the Drive C: Icon.
Open Program Files / Common Files / Research in Motion / AppLoader.
Navigate to the bottom and delete the file Vendor.XML file.
(ALSO, for NEWER OS's make sure that you delete RIM's Internal Apps) Very simple, just go to Control Panel>Add Remove Programs>RIM's Internal App Tools>And Remove
4. You are now ready to restore your device. Verify that BlackBerry Desktop Manager is NOT running. Plug the device directly into the computer's USB port.
We are about to venture into the bowls of the beast. Windows is not suitable for this job, we are going to invoke the Command line interface with an option switch. This was the way all 'puters worked prior to Mcintosh and Windows.
Windows XP: Start / Run... / Command
Windows Vista: Start / Command (type this into 'start search')
You will see a black window similar to this. I have used UPPERCASE to highlight the typed commands.
CD PROGRAM FILES
CD COMMON FILES
CD RESEARCH IN MOTION
When you hit enter at the last command a forced rebuild will start. No data or setting will be saved, however, they can be recovered from a previous backup.
CD PROGRAM FILES (x86)
CD COMMON FILES
CD RESEARCH IN MOTION
5. Wait for it to finish.Thirty minutes is typical, do not interrupt it.
Once it has recovered, you can use Desktop Manager's Application Loader to customize it and restore from your backup files, if you have saved them previously.
Update: Members have reported success after numerous failures with the following technique:
Remove the Battery, then run the Loader program. It works.
All done. Congrats, you've done a FULL wipe of the device.
Thanks to: Reed McLay for the tutorial and Pete6 for Crack Utility
Also... to any mods that read this. I think it would be a great idea to have tools such as crack utility, jl_cmder, etc.. stuck to all of the OS discussion threads for easy access. Also any tutorials linked there might also help.
-Thanks and I hope this helps!