HOW TO: Browser fix for AT&T on 5.0 OS Using BBSAK
Here is a step by step for how to get your Internet Browser working on AT&T with a 5.0 OS using BBSAK (BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife). I know there are already tutorials out there using CrackUtil but a lot of folks are switching over to BBSAK (including me):
Perform these steps at your own risk ~ I nor BlackBerryOS take responsibility for your results
1. Download and install BBSAK 1.5 on your PC
2. Backup your BB using Desktop Manager (as always before any type of procedure)
3. Connect your BB to PC via USB cable
4. Launch BBSAK 1.5
5. Click 'Read System' on BBSAK menu
6. Highlight net_rim_bb_browser_daemon.cod and click 'Save COD' (places it in BBSAK folder on PC)
7. Click 'Remove COD' ~ allow device to reboot
8. Launch Desktop Manager and click backup/restore ~ advanced restore
9. Download AT&T service books .ipd file to your PC desktop
10. Back to DM ~ in advanced restore on the left side select File ~ Open ~ and choose the service books you just D/L
11. Highlight the entry on the left, then click the double arrows to move the service books onto your BB, select yes you want to overwrite
12. Allow the service books to load then close DM
13. Back to BBSAK now... click 'Install COD' ~ using C: > program files > BBSAK > CODs > net_rim_bb_browser_daemon.cod
14. Allow device to reboot ~ close down BBSAK ~ disconnect device from PC
15. Battery pull then resend service books using AT&T BIS website
16. Your internet browser should now be working if you followed the steps carefully
This process is not nearly as long and drawn out as it sounds. I have loaded 5.0 and gotten the browser working numerous times and it's about a 10 minute process. If you have any trouble I would be happy to walk you through it when I have time. Good luck
Last edited by Morganizer; 09-01-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Reason: Edited #11 step
Morgan, thank you for an OUTSTANDING post and always being helpful to our members!!! By chance, would you have suggestions for our Telus people? I have seen quite a few members struggle getting their service books and browser going on Telus. Thank you in advance.
It should be the same procedure only using the proper Telus service books. Let me dig around and see if I can grab those service books or if anyone has them let me know
Originally Posted by olta777
FYI - Storm users that do this with 126.96.36.199 might get an unexpected audio error after rebooting the phone. Once this happens, you will not be able to play MP3's or videos. That error message does not happen with .191
Originally Posted by Morganizer
Also, this will get MMS working with AT&T.
Last edited by Morganizer; 09-01-2009 at 02:05 PM.
This didn't work for me. I have done this numerous times (With crackutil) in the past and it reboots after I remove the COD, but on .191, it doesn't. I went through your steps twice, and I am still at a loss of my browser.
Hello Jeff, I am jumping into your situation and was wondering exactly what was going on. What two steps are you referring too?
Originally Posted by ShimmyShine
Oh, not two steps in specific. But overall, all of the steps. I went through them twice, and the browser won't show up. Neither will blackberry maps, or any of the other stuff that's in the service book's .ipd file. I can see all of them in the applications, and if I go to view modules they are all in there also. But on the homescreen they aren't there (I'm using the stock theme, maybe if I try a different theme do you guys think they'll show up?).
Tags for this Thread