Download any size files through the Blackberry Browser
Have you ever tried downloading something to your Blackberry through the native browser and been unable to because of the size of the file? The problem is that the Blackberry Browser limits the download size to files 2.3mb or smaller. This usually is not a problem for most things mobile. But lets say you wanted to download a large .pdf, or a PowerPoint, or anything that is larger than the browser limit: you can’t. 0mie over at 0mietech has found a work around to this limitation. No longer does one have to install Opera Mini in order to install a larger sized file. It can be done right in the native Blackberry Browser.
The reason for the limitation is that RIM sets its WAP and Internet to a specific port. It is literally impossible to download anything larger than the 2.3mbs because that is the port limit. For an explanation in laymen’s terms, try parking a Hummer in a garage that is meant for a sports car, you won’t be able to do it. Therefore, in order to download files larger than 2.3mbs through the browser, the port in which the browser accesses must be changed. In order to do so, follow these steps
1. Go to options > advanced options > service books. Then hold ALT and type SBEB, if you have a QWERTY keyboard. For Storm users ATL 4?2? should work. I am not sure how to do it for Surepress. Then you should get the pop up that you see below.
2. Once you have completed step 1 and have gotten the above pop up, you are ready to open the Desktop Manager. Go to Backup/Restore > Advanced > Open the .ipd file that is linked HERE.
3. On the left hand box go to file open, select the .ipd file, open it and send it to your phone. Then disconnect the phone from your computer.
4. Open the native browser on your phone and go to Options > General Properties. There should be a new option called “NET Browser” in the Default Browser drop down. You are now set to begin downloading files of any size!
5. On your first download you will get one of those agreement pop ups. This is just saying RIM is not responsible for anything third party that you download. Click “I Agree”
If for some reason you lose your email addresses just resend your service books again. If you are not sure how to do this it is: Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Tables. Then click the BB button and there is an option to “Register Now”. It may not take the first time, but it does take a few minutes to happen.
So there you go. Once you have completed the described steps you will be able to download files of all types and sizes. I just want to give a nod to 0mie. This is all of his work and the images are from his site. Great find 0mie! And the top image is a 130mb file download, just some proof that it works!
It is strongly recommended that you are comfortable doing something like these and if you have ANY doubts or questions, do not do it until those issues are resolved.
I can see where you are coming from SUN. I personally don't know if I will do it. I can't think of a time where I ever really tried or needed to download something of that size, personally. But it is good to know if you need to you can