How To Reset BlackBerry Smartphone
Some useful information every savvy BlackBerry smartphone owner should know is how to reset their device. A reset of a BlackBerry smartphone is a troubleshooting method that completely turns off and restarts the operating system software and applications of a BlackBerry smartphone. In terms of troubleshooting, it is a useful first step if a BlackBerry smartphone is experiencing hardware, software, or wireless network issues.
There are two options when performing a reset: a hard reset or a soft reset. The difference between the two is that performing a hard reset involves removing the battery temporarily, whereas when performing a soft reset, a key combination is used to reset the BlackBerry smartphone. Both options accomplish the same goal – restarting the BlackBerry smartphone – but an important thing to know is that a soft reset can only be performed on BlackBerry smartphones with a QWERTY keyboard, such as the BlackBerry Bold 9900 or BlackBerry Torch 9810.
Note: Before performing either reset method listed below, ensure any open documents, emails or files are closed.
Performing a Hard Reset
As mentioned earlier, if you are using a BlackBerry smartphone that does not contain a QWERTY keyboard such as the BlackBerry Torch 9850, you can only perform a hard reset as a soft reset isn’t possible. The Hard Reset method of resetting a BlackBerry smartphone applies to every BlackBerry smartphone.To perform a hard reset, complete the following steps.
Performing a Soft Reset
- Remove the battery cover from the back of the BlackBerry smartphone
- Remove the battery, and then reinsert it after a few seconds
- Replace the battery cover.
A soft reset is a three-key combination that resets the BlackBerry smartphone without removing the battery. As mentioned previously, it is only available on BlackBerry smartphone models with a QWERTY keyboard, such as the BlackBerry Bold 9900 smartphone or BlackBerry Torch 9810 smartphone.To perform a soft reset, complete the following steps.
- Press and hold the Alt key (1)
- While holding down the Alt key, press and hold the Right Shift key (2)
- With both of those buttons still pressed, press the Backspace/Delete key (3)
- When the screen turns off to indicate that the BlackBerry smartphone is restarting, you can then release the keys you have been holding.
A few more things you should know about the reset process:
- Performing a reset does not remove any data
- To fully remove data from a BlackBerry smartphone, you will need to perform a security wipe.
- Performing a reset does not remove an IT Policy if one exists.
Got a question about resetting a BlackBerry smartphone? Leave us a comment below!