How to: Back Up & Restore 3rd Party Apps
This will back up all of your 3rd party applications,themes,etc.,in the event that you switch devices,or have wipe your device. It is a great idea, because if you have apps or themes that are no longer available, or that you paid for - they will not be lost! It also saves the time of trying to find that app again,and have to re-load it to your device.
Need to wipe your device using javaloader or JL_Cmder but don't want to lose all your 3rd party apps? Backup/Restore in Desktop Manager won't do it. Here is a way to back them up and restore them. Note: It wouldn't be a bad idea to do this on a routine basis just in case your device gives you the unexpected hourglass screen of death requiring you to wipe the device.
Watch the Video - How To Backup 3rd Party Apps
* Download and install the latest version of Desktop Manager
* Plug in the device and run Desktop Manager.
* Click on Switch Device Wizard. (*Note: For those of you on BES, your Corp policy may not allow you access to the Device Switch Wizard.)
* Click on Switch Blackberry Devices.
* Click Next.
* Select USB: Your Pin.
* Click Next and then enter your password if required.
* Un-check User Data and Settings and Include Messages leaving only Third Party Applications checked.
* Click Next.
* When its finished backing up the apps, DO NOT click Next or Cancel. Leave that screen as it is and continue these instructions.
* Search your computer files/folders for a folder labeled with your pin number. Be sure and search in hidden and system folders. **Hint for Nextel Users: Open Windows Explorer or My Computer and type in %temp% to find your temp folder with the folder labeled as your pin number.
* When you find it, copy it to another location like my documents.
* Now go back and Cancel the Switch Device Wizard. **If you cancel the wizard before copying the folder to another location the folder is automatically emptied. Now wipe your device as desired. Your backup is complete.
* When the OS has been loaded back to the device run Application Loader again and click on Add
* Browse to the folder you copied with your PIN. Double click on the file named yourpin.alx.
* This should add all your 3rd party apps to the apploader.
* Finish the installation to load them to your BB.
* Restore your personal data using the restore feature in Desktop Manager Backup/Restore
Note: If you are wiping the device because of a problem this procedure may not be wise to perform because the cause of the trouble could possibly be in one of the 3rd party apps.
Last edited by Neolantis; 06-12-2009 at 04:53 AM.
Not sure if this helps anyone, but once you initially find the folder labled with your pin number, back out to the folder containing the file. Right click on that folder and select "Create Shortcut". This will put a Quicklaunch to that folder on your desktop for future backups.
Also the location on vista is C:\Users\"You"\AppData\Local\Temp
"You" refers to your pc logon identity.
Awesome tip Shane! Thanks for sharing.
Originally Posted by Shanepark2
HAHA shane park, I love your picture in the signature ha!
lol. Yea, I found that in a playstation forum about 5-6 years ago. I still laugh every time I see it.
I am having problem with not all the apps being backed up. I find and save the folder to my desktop but not all the apps are in the folder.
Anyone else having this problem?
Try deleting the cache from BB Browser and try again.
Originally Posted by mickrg123
Be sure and search in hidden and system folders
I'm in the process of making a video in addition to the instructions.
Tags for this Thread