How to: Back Up & Restore 3rd Party Apps
This will back up all of your 3rd party applications,themes,etc.,in the event that you switch devices,or have wipe your device. It is a great idea, because if you have apps or themes that are no longer available, or that you paid for - they will not be lost! It also saves the time of trying to find that app again,and have to re-load it to your device.
Need to wipe your device using javaloader or JL_Cmder but don't want to lose all your 3rd party apps? Backup/Restore in Desktop Manager won't do it. Here is a way to back them up and restore them. Note: It wouldn't be a bad idea to do this on a routine basis just in case your device gives you the unexpected hourglass screen of death requiring you to wipe the device.
Watch the Video - How To Backup 3rd Party Apps
* Download and install the latest version of Desktop Manager
* Plug in the device and run Desktop Manager.
* Click on Switch Device Wizard. (*Note: For those of you on BES, your Corp policy may not allow you access to the Device Switch Wizard.)
* Click on Switch Blackberry Devices.
* Click Next.
* Select USB: Your Pin.
* Click Next and then enter your password if required.
* Un-check User Data and Settings and Include Messages leaving only Third Party Applications checked.
* Click Next.
* When its finished backing up the apps, DO NOT click Next or Cancel. Leave that screen as it is and continue these instructions.
* Search your computer files/folders for a folder labeled with your pin number. Be sure and search in hidden and system folders. **Hint for Nextel Users: Open Windows Explorer or My Computer and type in %temp% to find your temp folder with the folder labeled as your pin number.
* When you find it, copy it to another location like my documents.
* Now go back and Cancel the Switch Device Wizard. **If you cancel the wizard before copying the folder to another location the folder is automatically emptied. Now wipe your device as desired. Your backup is complete.
* When the OS has been loaded back to the device run Application Loader again and click on Add
* Browse to the folder you copied with your PIN. Double click on the file named yourpin.alx.
* This should add all your 3rd party apps to the apploader.
* Finish the installation to load them to your BB.
* Restore your personal data using the restore feature in Desktop Manager Backup/Restore
Note: If you are wiping the device because of a problem this procedure may not be wise to perform because the cause of the trouble could possibly be in one of the 3rd party apps.