Helpful Tip!!! Water Damage? Try this.
Ok, you're hanging out with some friends,maybe there's some drinking going on - it's summertime,you're by the pool-innocent enough right? Well,your buddies get the idea that it would be funny to see how well you swim with a few rum and cokes in you...now that shiny new BlackBerry you just got, is about to be put to the ultimate test,and I know these phones do alot of things,but I don't think the doggy paddle is one of them.
1. Remove the battery. This is the most important part! Damage in wet electronic devices mostly comes from short circuits. Removing the battery quickly will prevent electricity from further damaging the phone. Resist the temptation to test the phone while it is still wet!
2. Remove the SIM card (if applicable). The SIM card should have survived, but make sure you don?t use it again until it has dried completely.
3. Disassemble the phone. Use the required screwdrivers to disassemble the phone as much as you can. Note that disassembling the phone will probably void your warranty, but then so will dropping the phone in water. You?ve got nothing to lose. The reason for the disassembly is simple: the phone will dry up much faster once it is disassembled. You could skip this step, but water can remain inside the phone for weeks if you don?t do it.
4. Dry the phone as much as possible using q-tips or paper towels or a similar material. This will prevent water from getting further into the phone. Two ideas to help with the drying:
* Heat the phone. Heat will help water evaporate. Leaving the phone under a desk lamp for 24 or 48 hours might help. WARNING: Do not overheat! Just a little warmth is enough. Heating the phone too much can further increase the damage done to it.
* Use a fan. Leave the phone under a desk fan for 24 or 48 hours.
5. Test the phone. After a few days (usually two or three), the phone should be clean and dry. Reassemble the phone and put the SIM card and battery pack back in. If it doesn?t work, there is a chance your battery has died from water damage. Try an alternative power source. You can get another battery for cheap if your phone still works.
As always, be very careful when disassembling electronic devices. Know you warranties and insurances well before attempting anything, and make sure you note how to reassemble the phone. Repair a wet cell phone at your own risks.
Hopefully, you will manage to save your wet cell phone from drowning!
You can also place the battery-less storm in a bowl of rice for good couple of hours.
YES, excellent point...thank you for adding.
Originally Posted by olta777
My 3 year old came up to my desk and put my phone in a glass of soda one time,,lol
I immediately pulled the battery, and dowsed it with rubbing alcohol(90% stuff), took it apart and let it dry out for about 4 days. Put it back together and it worked fine.
Granted, it was a different phone, but same principal.
I don't know how well the Storms screen would handle taking a dunk like that though, especially being a touch screen. Probably would just have to replace the LCD/digitizer, if you didn't have insurance.
My niece got windex underneath my last storm, and i hate a dark spot where the windex went, and it kept spreading when it got underneath my screen
Originally Posted by mrZoSo
The rice trick works great! My son wasted his ipod touch and after a couple days in rice it was as good as new!!!
Insurance is also a good thing to have. I dropped one phone in maple syrup and was able to save and one got caught in rain and no success
If you know you're going near water or somewhere you know your device can get wet... Put it in a zipper-style plastic bag and seal it. Saved my butt on a fishing trip, and there was just enough air in the bag to make it float. I was still able to use it (Storm 1) inside the bag and if it weren't for the forethought, I'd have been shopping for a new one.
Tags for this Thread