How to: Blackberry as a tethered modem GSM carriers
Connect a computer to the Internet using a GPRS, EDGE, or UMTS BlackBerry smartphone as a tethered modem
Important: Contact your service provider to obtain the user name and password you require to configure dial-up networking. Also, ask your service provider if additional charges are incorporated when connecting to the Internet using the BlackBerry smartphone as a tethered modem.
Install BlackBerry Desktop Software Version of your Choice
When you install BlackBerry Desktop Software, the drivers that allow the BlackBerry smartphone to communicate through the Universal Serial Bus (USB) port and virtual communications port are installed. The standard modem, which is used by dial-up networking, is also installed.
Set up an Internet APN.
1. Click Start > Settings > Control Panel.
2. Double-click Phone and Modem Options.
3. In the Phone and Modem Options window, click the Modems tab.
4. Select Standard Modem and click Properties.
5. Click Change Settings.
6. In the Standard Modem Properties window, click the Advanced tab.
7. In the Extra initialization commands field, type the following:
+cgdcont=1,"IP","<your Internet APN>"
Note: The following is applicable for T-Mobile? customers only:
The extra initialization command is: +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"
Note: If you do not know your Internet APN, or if you do not have an Internet APN, contact your service provider.
In the Phone and Modem Options window, click OK.
To configure dial-up networking, complete the procedure that is appropriate to the operating system you are using:
1. Click Start.
2. Select Connect To.
3. Click Setup a connection or network.
4. Click Setup a dialup connection.
5. In the Dial-up phone number field type *99#.
6. Type the user name and password provided by your service provider.
7. In the Connection Name field type BlackBerry.
8. Click Dialing Rules.
9. Make sure the profile created in Task 2 has been selected, and then click
10.Select Connect to establish an internet.
Windows XP operating system
01. Click Start > Settings > Network Connections.
02. Double-click New Connection Wizard. The New Connection Wizard opens.
03. Click Next.
04 Select the Connect to the Internet option. Click Next.
05. Select Set up my connection manually. Click Next.
06. Select Connect using a dial-up modem. Click Next.
07. If the Select a Device screen appears, select the Modem - Standard
Modem check box. Click Next.
08. In the ISP Name field, type a name for your connection. Click Next.
09. In the Phone number field, type *99#. Click Next.
10. Indicate which users will have access to the connection. Click Next.
11. Type the user name and password provided by your service provider.
12. Click Next.
13. Click Finish.
14. In the Connect window, click Properties.
15. In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears
beneath the Connect using heading, and then click Configure.
16. In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow
control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are
selected. Click OK. In the Properties window, click OK.
Connect to the Internet using dial-up networking.
Note: During this procedure, do not operate the BlackBerry? Browser or any third-party applications on the BlackBerry smartphone. An active data session might interfere with the modem connection. Also, make sure an ethernet connection is not active at the same time.
01. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer.
02. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
03. Click Start > Settings > Network Connections > <name of your new
04. Type the user name and password provided by your service provider.
05. Click Dial.
thanks, thats how i allways keep my internet up...
Tags for this Thread