Opera Mini 5 beta tips and tricks
For those of you not familiar with it Opear Mini 5 Beta can be downloaded here...http://m.opera.com/next
Personally I feel this is the best browser available for BlackBerries and it's absolutely SICK on WIFI!
Here are a few tips I came across which I thought might help some of you out.
1) The first thing you should know about is the long hold. Whether you are using a touchscreen or not, holding down for a moment when pressing something like a link or a Speed Dial entry (instead of pressing and releasing immediately), offers various options depending on what you press, such as:
* Edit or clear Speed Dial
* Open a link in a new tab
* Select text
* Copy text
* Open image
2) To assign a new Speed Dial, simply press one of the empty slots and type in the address, or choose from the list.
3) The find in page option is in the menu (the button to the right in the touch user interface, or the dropdown below the button toolbar on non-touch phones), along with bookmarks, history, saved pages, settings, and help.
4) The new RSS/newsfeed reader is not available in this beta, but if you want to access the old one, add the address feed:list as a bookmark or Speed Dial.
5) You may be able to copy text from Opera Mini 5 to a different application despite Java not allowing this. To do so, open the Settings, go to Advanced, and disable Inline Editing. You can now copy the text from a page, and paste it into a text input field (such as the search field if none are available on the current page). Editing this text will open the phone's built-in text editor, which might allow you to copy the text from there and to a different application.
6) Non-touch users shouldn't forget the keypad shortcuts. * 1-9 will open a Speed Dial. * up arrow will open a new tab. * down arrow will close a tab, while * left or right arrow will cycle to the left or right tab.
7) Is the lack of T9 predictive texting bothering you? Because Opera Mini is a Java application it can't easily access things like the T9 dictionary on your phone, so it can't support T9 when you are typing inline in forms. If you switch back to the phone's native editor, T9 will work again, but you won't be able to type inline anymore. Disable Inline Editing in the Advanced settings to use the phone's text editor.
Hope this helps.
Great post thanks.
Posted via BlackBerry device
Yeah, but does it still have that horrible bug that forces every link in an email to come up in the Opera browser instead of the default browser (i.e for app downloads)?
I have two questions.
(1) when I am entering text and I make an error, I press the backspace/delete key, but it deletes the whole line. I have found that I can stop the deleting by pressing the space bar, but this places a space where I don't really need one. Can this be corrected or do you have any suggestions?
(2) I have found that O can not install an OTA on Opera, it just does not download! Is there any way around this?
Last I tried their beta doesn't work on my 8320.
menu > settings > advanced > and turn virtual keyboard on should fix your first problem. It brings up a keyboard that looks like an iPhone when you are typing and doesn't require a click either. it's actually a bit weird but it should fix that problem...
Originally Posted by d_1000
As far as the second issue that's probably something that they need to fix yet. this is still a Beta
Yep it's still a beta program...
Originally Posted by MrWireless31
virtual keyboard works great! Thanks.
Originally Posted by Vaffanculo403
so any way to copy and paste within the program?
OP, I like # 1 and 2 features with the OS. Easy to delete and add new ones.
it doesn't work on my 8820 from t-mobile either...
What I don't like about opera is the smooth scroll. >< Is there a way to disable it I did disable the inline editing just now. Now I can copy a text. ^^ Sometimes I still prefer using the BB browser. Still, I keep Opera Mini. The multi-tabs are very useful when you visit a lot of websites or when you're searching for something. ^^
excellent browser and it's fast on loading pages. but I alternate between opera and bold. pages doesn't load well on opera sometimes, but it works well on bolt. and vice versa..
This thread is not for capabilities on device but for tips on the browser please try to remain on topic in posting.
Posted via mobile device
Not sure if this was mentioned before in another thread somewhere, but on the storm/touchscreen version, you can go straight to the top of the page by touching the top of the screen. I was always scrolling to the top until I accidentally touched the top of the screen.
Tags for this Thread