8900 vs Tour
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: 8900 vs Tour

  1. #1
    Spade is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow Spade On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    PIN
    21cec6be
    Device
    9700 Bold
    OS
    6.0.0.448
    Posts
    79
    Liked
    2 times

    8900 vs Tour

    realistically... what are the differences other than gsm and cdma...?




  2. #2
    Morganizer's Avatar
    Morganizer is offline Blackberry Whore
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    5.0.0.XXX
    Posts
    756
    Liked
    0 times
    Tour - no wifi with 1XEV, 8900 - wifi with EDGE just for starters

  3. #3
    smcoldbb is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow smcoldbb On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    vancouver bc
    Device
    9630
    OS
    5.0.0.XXX
    Posts
    1,573
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted (9630)

    Quote Originally Posted by Spade
    realistically... what are the differences other than gsm and cdma...?
    Hey Spade,

    I have never held the 8900 but from what I understand the tour is a little bit bigger but still smaller then the bold.

    It has a new keyboard which I love but I have nothing to compare it to. I also have a storm.

    The stock os is outstanding! And the screen is beautiful.

    Over all I'm very happy with the tour!

    Welcome to Blackberryos!
    Bellshare - Premium Blackberry Apps

  4. #4
    chrapojr is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Device
    8900
    Posts
    6
    Liked
    0 times
    Tour size is between 8900 and Bold (bigger than 8900, smaller than bold).

    Tour has KB similar to the Bold

    Tour has lower resolution screen

  5. #5
    Spade is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow Spade On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Brooklyn
    PIN
    21cec6be
    Device
    9700 Bold
    OS
    6.0.0.448
    Posts
    79
    Liked
    2 times
    so whats the final say? they similar thats all... i would say the 8900 is just alot better... only cause of a brighter display and wifi!

  6. #6
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chrapojr View Post
    Tour size is between 8900 and Bold (bigger than 8900, smaller than bold).

    Tour has KB similar to the Bold

    Tour has lower resolution screen
    Welcome to BBOS!

    Actually the statement about the Tour having lower resolution is not correct. Take a look at the following chart taken from RIM's website:
    Default themes and dimensions for screens and application icons on BlackBerry devices

  7. #7
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Spade View Post
    so whats the final say? they similar thats all... i would say the 8900 is just alot better... only cause of a brighter display and wifi!
    Just my opinion but I have both and find the screen display to be identical. I like the keyboard better on the Tour as it is a little bigger than the 8900. The Wifi on the 8900 is nice, especially when traveling overseas. But for everyday use I prefer the Tour because it is on VZW's network. TMO is ok, but overall VZW just has better coverage and better call quality. If I could choose only one it would the Tour.

  8. #8
    306buddyluv's Avatar
    306buddyluv is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow 306buddyluv On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Miami Florida
    Device
    9700/9530
    OS
    5.0.0.421/5.0.0.419
    Posts
    60
    Liked
    0 times
    One thing everyone seems to forget...
    8900 has UMA, Tour does not.
    Nothing beats free calls.....lol.
    ..........
    SHAKE N BAKE
    ..........

  9. #9
    jlevy73's Avatar
    jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Posts
    8,538
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 306buddyluv View Post
    One thing everyone seems to forget...
    8900 has UMA, Tour does not.
    Nothing beats free calls.....lol.
    Good point, we can all agree on free

  10. #10
    Storm5150's Avatar
    Storm5150 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow Storm5150 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Boynton Beach,FL
    Device
    Storm 9550
    OS
    .713 based Hybrid
    Posts
    446
    Liked
    0 times
    How much app memory does the 8900 have? I'm going to replace my wife's Pearl 8100 on TMO and it seems the 8900 is the way to go, though she likes the 8330 sunset because it's red :no: I think I have her convinced to let me pick this out since I'll have it tricked out before she knows it
    When in doubt, pull the battery out!

  11. #11
    blindman4556's Avatar
    blindman4556 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    PIN
    ask
    Device
    9530/9000/8900
    Posts
    384
    Liked
    1 times
    essentially there the same (for those people that are going to say there different. i no, but there basically the same). the screen is i believe identical. 8900 has wifi, tour does not. tour as 1XEV(3g) 8900 does not. tour has a different style keyboard. personally if your on verizon go with the tour. if your on tmo, at&t etc. i would go with the 8900. because if your not on verizon then you cant use 3g, just EDGE/edge. 8900 has no 3g, so it would be the same but since 8900 has wifi and tour dosent i would go 8900 if not on verizon

  12. #12
    Jaguarr40's Avatar
    Jaguarr40 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida
    PIN
    Just Ask!
    Device
    Tour 9630
    OS
    4.7.1.40
    Posts
    57
    Liked
    0 times

    Post Tour vs 8900 Curve

    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    Just my opinion but I have both and find the screen display to be identical. I like the keyboard better on the Tour as it is a little bigger than the 8900. The Wifi on the 8900 is nice, especially when traveling overseas. But for everyday use I prefer the Tour because it is on VZW's network. TMO is ok, but overall VZW just has better coverage and better call quality. If I could choose only one it would the Tour.

    I have to agree with jlevey73. I love everything about my Tour and do not miss Wi Fi
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    "Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying"

  13. #13
    Jaguarr40's Avatar
    Jaguarr40 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida
    PIN
    Just Ask!
    Device
    Tour 9630
    OS
    4.7.1.40
    Posts
    57
    Liked
    0 times

    Post App Memory

    Quote Originally Posted by Storm5150 View Post
    How much app memory does the 8900 have? I'm going to replace my wife's Pearl 8100 on TMO and it seems the 8900 is the way to go, though she likes the 8330 sunset because it's red :no: I think I have her convinced to let me pick this out since I'll have it tricked out before she knows it

    Device Memory is 256mb
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    "Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying"

  14. #14
    MarcoPolo's Avatar
    MarcoPolo is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow MarcoPolo On Twitter
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hoosier State
    PIN
    Pimpin
    Device
    9700 / Retired 8900
    OS
    6.0.0.380
    Posts
    44
    Liked
    0 times

    Thumbs up 8900

    I chose the 8900 because it has wifi plus my carrier (centennial wireless) doesn't have 3g network and not sure when they will have it .
    "HIT THE BERRY'S"

  15. #15
    alfonz is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Device
    9550(work) / 9700(personal)
    OS
    5.0.hybrid / 6.0.0.134
    Posts
    24
    Liked
    0 times
    my ultimate goal (if at all possible) is to marry up a tour keyboard/bezel with my 8900. I love the tour keyboard but I hate CDMA and no wi-fi is a no go

    any guinipigs out there?
    Last edited by alfonz; 09-24-2009 at 04:40 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •