Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Lyric's .509 hybrid
    Liked
    3 times

Lost address book

(Posting for a friend)

A co-worker just got an 8530 a week or two ago. The Verizon store transferred all his phone contacts over the the BB when he bought it.

Today, his contacts disappeared. He had done a backup through BB Desktop, so we went through and tried to do a restore (under advanced, selecting only address book). The Desktop screen showed that there were entries in his backup database, and when clicking the button to restore, it took time, acted like it was doing something, and completed. But still, on the phone, no contacts.

Any clue what to try next?

He's never synced with Outlook here at work, though I did notice that he has his gmail set up to sync OTA.

fratts is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    311c188d
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    If all his contacts are in his Gmail account, download and install Google Sync on the phone and have it sync your contacts. In my experience it works alot better then RIM's attempt of having them sync through the BIS.

joshjamie is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow joshjamie On Twitter
    PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    Is this the 8350i? If so, when he gets his address book back, he should import it to the phone as well. Both will sync at the same time. I had the same issue here at work with the 8530i with all of my crews. Once it was imported to the phone itself, there were no more issues of it disappearing again. If it is just the 8530, this may work the same way.

Hope this helps

nullibiquitous is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    This is very likely caused by the enhanced gmail plugin. When it happened to me, I freaked out; then I went into gmail, and saw that all of my contacts were now there. Slowly, over the next hour or so, my contacts began to reappear in my BB address book.

Has it been more than an hour or two since the contacts disappeared?

send2steph is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow send2steph On Twitter
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Lyric's .509 hybrid
    Liked
    3 times
    He looked it up on the gmail website and voila - there they were! He's been frustratingly attempting to restore his address book every little bit, so now he's going to quit and sit tight and wait for gmail to do it's thing.

Sure would be nice if they said, "Hey - we're gonna steal your contacts for a couple hours while we sync you up!" NICE!

Thanks nulli!

nullibiquitous is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    You're welcome!

I was just reading up further on this, and apparently contact synchronization only happens every 4 hours.

If it doesn't happen, have him double-check his e-mail settings:
    1. Go to E-mail Settings and select the gmail account
    2. Under Synchronization Options, make sure the checkbox next to Contacts is selected
    3. Click Save