Thread: Downgrade from OS6 to OS5.

kau1225 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Blackberry Curve 3G (9330)
    OS
    Liked
    4 times

Downgrade from OS6 to OS5.

As I write this post, I'm not sure if I'm searching for a consensus from the collective knowledge of BBOS or just blubbering my own opinion.

I have now had the Curve 3G (9330) from Sprint since the first week it came out (I think early October) and am generally satisfied. The phone originally came loaded with OS5, which I was quite familiar with due to my previous Blackberry, a Bold 9700 on T-Mobile. The moment a leaked version of OS6 came out, I loaded it up on my phone; however, my phone regurgitated the software and was not happy, forcing me to reload OS5.

Eventually, a stable leaked version of OS6 came out (around mid-October) and like any obsessed crackberry addict, I immediately loaded it up. Since that time I have had either an official or leaked version of OS6 installed on my phone.

Overall, I love OS6. Everything about the phone felt natural, the new browser was zippy with the tabs, multitasking ran smoother, and I found little to no faults. The more I used OS6, the stronger my attachment to it became, which began clouding the realization that I came to: the Curve 3G (9330) should not run any of the current official or leaked versions OS6.

The main problem that I continually faced with OS6 was its processor requirements. Opening SMSs, emails, and even BBMs took well over 5 seconds to load, and sometimes over 15. Now this might not seem like a long time, but when you continually keep your phone in your hand waiting for an email or a text message, opening a message thread and waiting becomes bothersome. When I finally accepted this issue, I began noticing that other applications were not running as quickly as they did on OS5.

Over the weekend, I made the depressing decision to downgrade to OS5 (5.0.0.1030, the latest official release from Sprint). Within a day, I began wondering whether I was happy or not. OS5's visual interface is not only ugly, but immature looking compared to OS6. The natural feel I became accustomed to on my BB turned into the old method, simply being familiar with OS5. Even with all these negatives, I am satisfied with the downgrade. The phone efficiently does all the tasks that I need it to complete (e.g., allowing me to place calls, receiving text messages/emails, navigation, and basic web browsing) without any of the delayed responses that I encountered running OS6.

I suppose the best way to end this ramble would to pose the following questions to BBOS members. Has anyone else downgraded? If so, do you regret the decision? Did anyone else have problems with OS6 on their Curve 9330? Is anyone else running OS6 on phones originally running OS5? If so, does OS6 run well (I'm really curious to how it is running on the Bold 9650/9700)?

Joe Jerde is offline Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1501 times
    Hello Kau1225,

Off the topic of your question a bit. Have you tried to find a nice theme for your device running OS 5? Many times a theme can add features and visualization to a phone to give it a whole new look and feel to the OS. I would suggest looking around for a nice theme to get you by until a stable version of OS 6 is able to run on your device.

Click the button in the bottom right of a post to say thanks!
    Downloads Center | Rules and Guidelines l BlackBerry 10 Zone

Device
    OS
    Liked
    4 times
    Hey Joseph,

I've played around with some themes in the past, but generally have been fine with the stock themes on the phone. I suppose I could look around for an OS5 theme that looks like the OS6 interface. If I do find one, I'll edit this post to include the link.

I suppose the root of the problem is that RIM needs to step up and include faster processors in phones (at least 1GHz, in my opinion).

Joe Jerde is offline Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1501 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kau1225 View Post
    Hey Joseph,

I've played around with some themes in the past, but generally have been fine with the stock themes on the phone. I suppose I could look around for an OS5 theme that looks like the OS6 interface. If I do find one, I'll edit this post to include the link.

I suppose the root of the problem is that RIM needs to step up and include faster processors in phones (at least 1GHz, in my opinion).
    I understand, it's nice to keep it simple sometimes on the device UI. Here is a link to some themes that we offer in the BlackBerryOS App Store... Themes BlackBerry Software - BlackBerryOS Software Store. There are some free and premium themes.

Fore sure, RIM is definitely going to be making the jump to atleast a 1 GHz processor in many upcoming devices.

butterfli52 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Curve 3g
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    OK, i just got the curve 9330 last week and i loved it...i said lovED it. had the os5. then i saw an update to os6 so i downloaded it. i regret it. i hate it! it changed my whole phone.

here's my problem. i am not young, i need reading glasses. I don't need all the bells and whistles that the younger generation is used to or wants. one of the things i loved about the blackberry 9330 os5 was that i could make the font big so i could read it anywhere without my reading glasses. it made all the difference in the work having a cell phone. i loved the simplicity of os5, the screen, how it listed the choices, how you get to applications, the options, everything.....OS6 changed all that. the display is different, how you navigate, the constant scrolling and missing, and now when you want to delete something, these little boxes with tiny writing come up. and the delete icon pops up whever it wants to. it's very hard for me to read and find what i want. i want to go back to OS5. i should have left the phone alone as it was when i got it. it was the first phone i COMPLETELY loved out of all the phones i've had.

nowhere does os6 tell you it reconfigures your whole phone. it's very misleading. i must admit i'm not very knowledgable when it comes to all this technology. i thought it would just ADD stuff, not remake the phone phone. it's not the phone i originally bought. I went back to verizon where i bought the phone and they told me i couldn't go back. it was totally disgusted. i tried another store and they told me the same thing. i haven't been back. you can't tell me with all the technology they are supposed to have, they can't delete os6 and give me back what i originally had when i bought the phone. i think that's pretty low. i know there are others who are not satisfied with os6. i have age related problems and i want my os5 back!

butterfli52 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Curve 3g
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Sorry, i replied to the wrong thread. Here's where the reply belongs.

OK, i just got the curve 9330 last week and i loved it...i said lovED it. had the os5. then i saw an update to os6 so i downloaded it. i regret it. i hate it! it changed my whole phone.

here's my problem. i am not young, i need reading glasses. I don't need all the bells and whistles that the younger generation is used to or wants. one of the things i loved about the blackberry 9330 os5 was that i could make the font big so i could read it anywhere without my reading glasses. it made all the difference in the work having a cell phone. i loved the simplicity of os5, the screen, how it listed the choices, how you get to applications, the options, everything.....OS6 changed all that. the display is different, how you navigate, the constant scrolling and missing, and now when you want to delete something, these little boxes with tiny writing come up. and the delete icon pops up whever it wants to. it's very hard for me to read and find what i want. i want to go back to OS5. i should have left the phone alone as it was when i got it. it was the first phone i COMPLETELY loved out of all the phones i've had.

nowhere does os6 tell you it reconfigures your whole phone. it's very misleading. i must admit i'm not very knowledgable when it comes to all this technology. i thought it would just ADD stuff, not remake the phone phone. it's not the phone i originally bought. I went back to verizon where i bought the phone and they told me i couldn't go back. it was totally disgusted. i tried another store and they told me the same thing. i haven't been back. you can't tell me with all the technology they are supposed to have, they can't delete os6 and give me back what i originally had when i bought the phone. i think that's pretty low. i know there are others who are not satisfied with os6. i have age related problems and i want my os5 back!
    str_kani likes this.

joshjamie is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow joshjamie On Twitter
    PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfli52 View Post

There is a way to go back to operating system 5. If you are available tonight and on msn chat, I can talk you through the process, it will take about an hour. If you are on msn chat, pm me your screen name and then I'll add you. Would probably be around 9PM EST
    Joe Jerde likes this.

Device
    OS
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfli52 View Post

If you don't have MSN, I can type up the steps I went through to downgrade. It isn't relatively difficult (but then again, I grew up with technology and computers), but more so time consuming. The people at the Verizon store do not know what they are talking about. I'm surprised they would say you can not downgrade the phone.
    Joe Jerde likes this.

PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    If you don't have MSN, I can type up the steps I went through to downgrade. It isn't relatively difficult (but then again, I grew up with technology and computers), but more so time consuming. The people at the Verizon store do not know what they are talking about. I'm surprised they would say you can not downgrade the phone.
    Its because buterfli dosn't sound like a techie that I would prefer someong helping directly, more to lessen the pain should it not go correctly.
    kau1225 likes this.

Device
    OS
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by joshjamie View Post
    Its because buterfli dosn't sound like a techie that I would prefer someong helping directly, more to lessen the pain should it not go correctly.
    That is a good point...I still freak out sometimes when I do OS changes, even though I'm pretty confident I can fix any of the problems that might pop up. Good luck with helping him. Also, there is an official release of OS5 (5.0.0.1030) that I did not even know came out until I downgraded. So far, I've seen no issues with that release (excluding the possibility that there might be a bug with bedside mode on the phone).

PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    That is a good point...I still freak out sometimes when I do OS changes, even though I'm pretty confident I can fix any of the problems that might pop up. Good luck with helping him. Also, there is an official release of OS5 (5.0.0.1030) that I did not even know came out until I downgraded. So far, I've seen no issues with that release (excluding the possibility that there might be a bug with bedside mode on the phone).
    Thanks Kau, I'll mention it to buterfli when they log in

thechew80 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie Follow thechew80 On Twitter
    Device
    Bold 9930
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Liked
    0 times
    I have been using OS6 for about 2 weeks now and I have to say, I don't like it. I'd rather go back to OS5...does anyone have some easy to follow instructions to go back down to OS5?

Device
    OS
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thechew80 View Post
    I have been using OS6 for about 2 weeks now and I have to say, I don't like it. I'd rather go back to OS5...does anyone have some easy to follow instructions to go back down to OS5?
    The easiest way to downgrade is to follow the same directions to upgrade.

http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/b...es-videos.html

The guide above covers upgrading really well, all you need is the older OS. I'd suggest the official release 5.0.0.1030 from Sprint for the Curve 9330. I have been running it for about three weeks now and have had no problems (besides the terrible browser that plagues all of OS5).

When you go through the steps and start installing the OS, the installer will most likely warn you that you are downgrading and recommend that you do not, ignore the warning and choose the option that lets you downgrade.

Hope this helps!
    Neolantis and Joe Jerde like this.

jmvickers is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    BB 9700
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Last night I made the colossal mistake of syncing my replacement 9700 to my new iMac, which conveniently asked if I wanted to upgrade to the new OS 6.0. I am an idiot and I said yes. It has been a nightmare ever since. I have 85% less ringtones, the entire calendar view is different, everything about the 9700 (and OS 5.0.whatever) that I was accustomed to is now gone.

I don't deal with change very well... and I am clearly a Luddite.

Can anyone *PLEASE* help me figure out how to download the older OS not only to my iMac but then back to my 9700? I have seen nothing but confusion in the bajillion searches I have done for this...

I can't tell you how much I would appreciate some help!

Kindest regards,

Justin

Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1501 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jmvickers View Post
    Last night I made the colossal mistake of syncing my replacement 9700 to my new iMac, which conveniently asked if I wanted to upgrade to the new OS 6.0. I am an idiot and I said yes. It has been a nightmare ever since. I have 85% less ringtones, the entire calendar view is different, everything about the 9700 (and OS 5.0.whatever) that I was accustomed to is now gone.

I don't deal with change very well... and I am clearly a Luddite.

Can anyone *PLEASE* help me figure out how to download the older OS not only to my iMac but then back to my 9700? I have seen nothing but confusion in the bajillion searches I have done for this...

I can't tell you how much I would appreciate some help!

Kindest regards,

Justin
    Hello Justin, welcome to the BBOS Forum.

First you need to find out which version of OS 5 you want on your device. You can search for OS software for the 9700 in our Downloads Center.

Once you have downloaded the OS you want, just follow the advice in this post.

Device
    BB 9700
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you, Joseph --- I'm trying right now... fingers crossed!

Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1501 times
    Thank you, Joseph --- I'm trying right now... fingers crossed!
    Nice, let us know how it turns out for you.

Device
    BB 9700
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, it only downloads as a text file in DOS onto my iMac... and as such, I cannot open the download or run it.

Device
    BB 9700
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Is there any chance you can e-mail it to me? For some reason there's no way to download it.

Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1501 times
    Well, it only downloads as a text file in DOS onto my iMac... and as such, I cannot open the download or run it.
    You won't be able to downgrade with a Mac. You will need either bootcamp (windows for mac) installed, or use a PC to perform the downgrade process.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast