Deraj828 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device

Question Wifi doesn't seem to do anything

Hey hey folks,

I just got a 9300 a couple weeks ago, and it's been grand as a phone. I was pretty excited about browsing the internet with it using my home wifi, as I can't really spare the funds for a data plan. Set up the wifi first thing, went smooth, cruised the web, good old time.

Then I put the simcard inside, and that was the end of that. Everytime I open the browser, it warns me about a $1.99/Mb charge for using data without a plan. Any apps that require a connection don't work without the data plan. I take the simcard back out and everything works.

:irked: What the heck? I see a little bit about this on various forums, but not nearly so much as I would expect after a company makes a wifi phone without wifi. Is there a workaround that I just haven't figured out? Is there any use at all for the wifi, or have I just been royally shanked by t-mobile?

Joe Jerde is offline Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Hello Deraj,

Why are you using a sim card if you are only going to use the phone for wifi?

Edit: Ok, I see what you are getting at. Did you check the Mangage Connections settings to make sure only wifi was turned on?

Deraj828 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    I'm using it as a phone, I was just excited to have the web on it too, and thus frustrated when it didn't work.

I had played with all the settings I could find a number of times before, to no avail. But actually today after posting that (and after finding out that changing the Browser Configuration -> Browser [web2go/Hotspot option] option to Hotspot serves no purpose because it changes itself back to web2go as soon as you close the Browser Configuration menu which I found quite insulting) I tried shutting off the Data Services, then opening the browser and changing that option to Hotspot, then turning data services back on, the Hotspot stuck for some reason, and now I seem to have wifi in my browser and that is awesome. I don't know if it will stick, or if it's repeatable, but it's the only solution I know of on the internet, and dang it, I'm proud of that!

Although, interestingly enough, my other apps still don't recognize any internet. Huh.