Wifi doesn't seem to do anything

Thread: Wifi doesn't seem to do anything

Deraj828 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Liked
    0 times

Question Wifi doesn't seem to do anything

Hey hey folks,

I just got a 9300 a couple weeks ago, and it's been grand as a phone. I was pretty excited about browsing the internet with it using my home wifi, as I can't really spare the funds for a data plan. Set up the wifi first thing, went smooth, cruised the web, good old time.

Then I put the simcard inside, and that was the end of that. Everytime I open the browser, it warns me about a $1.99/Mb charge for using data without a plan. Any apps that require a connection don't work without the data plan. I take the simcard back out and everything works.

:irked: What the heck? I see a little bit about this on various forums, but not nearly so much as I would expect after a company makes a wifi phone without wifi. Is there a workaround that I just haven't figured out? Is there any use at all for the wifi, or have I just been royally shanked by t-mobile?

Joe Jerde is offline Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1503 times
    Hello Deraj,

Why are you using a sim card if you are only going to use the phone for wifi?

Edit: Ok, I see what you are getting at. Did you check the Mangage Connections settings to make sure only wifi was turned on?

Click the button in the bottom right of a post to say thanks!
    Downloads Center | Rules and Guidelines l BlackBerry 10 Zone

Deraj828 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm using it as a phone, I was just excited to have the web on it too, and thus frustrated when it didn't work.

I had played with all the settings I could find a number of times before, to no avail. But actually today after posting that (and after finding out that changing the Browser Configuration -> Browser [web2go/Hotspot option] option to Hotspot serves no purpose because it changes itself back to web2go as soon as you close the Browser Configuration menu which I found quite insulting) I tried shutting off the Data Services, then opening the browser and changing that option to Hotspot, then turning data services back on, the Hotspot stuck for some reason, and now I seem to have wifi in my browser and that is awesome. I don't know if it will stick, or if it's repeatable, but it's the only solution I know of on the internet, and dang it, I'm proud of that!

Although, interestingly enough, my other apps still don't recognize any internet. Huh.