OS
    OS 10.2.1
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Liked
    31 times

Failed to associate with the network issue

Hi everyone!

One issue I am having with my 9900 is that my wifi disconnects on me randomly. I then get an error message saying "failed to associate with the network." I have played with settings such as different frequencies, different channels and other things on my router side. No dice. I also tried it on an open network and still get that issue. I know that this is a phone issue.

I have also tried different bb 9900 devices and they all had the same issue. Even one in which I had not setup, other than connecting to wifi. You may ask how do I know it drops. Well, I see it on bb device analyzer. I see the error message when I try to troubleshoot the wifi connection on wifi diagnostics.

Running latest carrier OS from Rogers on the 9900

Hope you guys can help!

Thanks for visiting and enjoy using your BlackBerry!
    Please my post if it has helped you. Much appreciated!

Joe Jerde is offline Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1502 times
    Man, that's a tough one. Do you have some type of security setting that may be affecting the connection?

Click the button in the bottom right of a post to say thanks!
    Downloads Center | Rules and Guidelines l BlackBerry 10 Zone

Harmeling68 is offline Forum Moderator Follow Harmeling68 On Twitter Add Harmeling68 on Facebook Add Harmeling68 on Google+ Add Harmeling68 on Linkedin
    PIN
    3343247B
    Device
    Black Q10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    147 times
    Very interesting. It does it on other wifi networks as well and not just the one at home? Try this: Delete all of your "saved" networks. Reboot your phone and connect to them again. This has been a fix for me when I've had similar issues.

Curious: Did this just start happening recently or has it been an issue since you've had your BlackBerry? Please post back so we can get this issue solved!
    BB then, now, forever!

nrnr31 is offline Forum Moderator Follow nrnr31 On Twitter
    PIN
    PM me :)
    Device
    Z30
    OS
    OS 10.2.1
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Liked
    31 times
    Joe, it's not security related since it also happens on open networks. I use wpa2 with Mac filtering. MAC address is correct. Channel 1 frequency

Harmeling, I've tried that before. Same result. It's been happening since my very first 9900. I've tried about 5 of them and all the same issue. It's not my personal data on the phone either. I've connected the bb to my network without any of my data on the bb and the issue is still there

thanks.

Joe Jerde is offline Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1502 times
    How often does it disconnect?

ice2921 is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow ice2921 On Twitter
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Liked
    754 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nrnr31 View Post
    Joe, it's not security related since it also happens on open networks. I use wpa2 with Mac filtering. MAC address is correct. Channel 1 frequency

Harmeling, I've tried that before. Same result. It's been happening since my very first 9900. I've tried about 5 of them and all the same issue. It's not my personal data on the phone either. I've connected the bb to my network without any of my data on the bb and the issue is still there

thanks.
    Test once without MAC filtering and turn your channel to 11. See if that helps any.

PIN
    Device
    Z30
    OS
    OS 10.2.1
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Liked
    31 times
    It disconnects a few times a day. Sometimes a lot in a day.

I have changed channels and tried without Mac filtering. Even tried open networks

Device
    Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Liked
    754 times
    It disconnects a few times a day. Sometimes a lot in a day.

I have changed channels and tried without Mac filtering. Even tried open networks
    Try changing the encryption settings on the router to WEP in order to test, then see what happens.

PIN
    Device
    Z30
    OS
    OS 10.2.1
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Liked
    31 times
    I can try with my VLAN using WEP. Wouldnt want to use WEP, but ill give it a shot. I still think its the BB itself lol

I was reading that the sticker where the wifi contacts are suppose to go, were not properly aligned. Took a shot at it and checked it out on my bb. Didn't find anything abnormal.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I was also informed from my carrier that BlackBerry knew about this issue, and was working on the fix, but did not give me a timeline on when it would be released. Also, a BlackBerry rep mentioned that it was an antenna issue, but I was not able to pursue any further since they had closed my ticket (carrier resolution), and that I would have to pay (which I did not want to) for support from BlackBerry.

BlackBerry told me to contact my carrier, and ask them to transfer the call to BlackBerry. Called carrier, said that they cannot transfer calls to BlackBerry as it is their policy, and told me to contact BlackBerry directly.

So much for that. I hate how they make you run around like that. Makes the customer frustrated (which it did, for me atleast).

I think BlackBerry needs to open up stores like how Apple has stores, and users can get proper support from that. They can also make money by selling accessories, or extended warranty, or pay for expired support (at a reasonable price).
    Last edited by nrnr31; 04-08-2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Added more thoughts

Device
    Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Liked
    754 times
    I can try with my VLAN using WEP. Wouldnt want to use WEP, but ill give it a shot. I still think its the BB itself lol

I was reading that the sticker where the wifi contacts are suppose to go, were not properly aligned. Took a shot at it and checked it out on my bb. Didn't find anything abnormal.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I was also informed from my carrier that BlackBerry knew about this issue, and was working on the fix, but did not give me a timeline on when it would be released. Also, a BlackBerry rep mentioned that it was an antenna issue, but I was not able to pursue any further since they had closed my ticket (carrier resolution), and that I would have to pay (which I did not want to) for support from BlackBerry.

BlackBerry told me to contact my carrier, and ask them to transfer the call to BlackBerry. Called carrier, said that they cannot transfer calls to BlackBerry as it is their policy, and told me to contact BlackBerry directly.

So much for that. I hate how they make you run around like that. Makes the customer frustrated (which it did, for me atleast).

I think BlackBerry needs to open up stores like how Apple has stores, and users can get proper support from that. They can also make money by selling accessories, or extended warranty, or pay for expired support (at a reasonable price).
    Should have nothing to do with the carrier. Its most likely the OS, try another OS. I suggested WEP to try as a test only not as a permanent solution. If its a hardware issue like they claim there would be a lot of angry people out there.

PIN
    Device
    Z30
    OS
    OS 10.2.1
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Liked
    31 times
    So I tried WEP. No dice. The only thing (which I knew from before) was that it could be software or hardware related. I think that it may be the OS since I did try multiple 9900's, but they all had the same issue. But still not sure.

And 1 more thing, which OS would be most compatable for my 9900 (carrier is Rogers). I get confused with the American carriers as some are CDMA, and some only offer 3G/H+, and not
    2G (Edge).

Thanks.

Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1502 times
    The CDMA is the 9930, so as long as you use a OS that is labeled for the 9900 you are fine.

Here is the latest OS found for the 9900 in our Downloads Center... T-MobileUSA_9900_7.1.0.912 - Downloads - BlackBerryOS.com

Diversion042 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    9900 Bold
    OS
    Carrier
    O2-UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Hello all, sorry for adding to a old thread, but did you get a resolution to this nrnr31. I have the same issue on my 9900, but only on my work WiFi. At home I use a BT hub that will work on 802.11n. It connect to that find and will stay connected. At work I have set up an old Zoom X6, and as far as I can tell the it is not set up any differently other than the Zoom will only reach 802.11g speeds. Just in case it helps (probably not) I have a Z10 that connects fine to the work WiFi. I am assuming it's os related and am trying to install 7.1.0.923 to see if that makes any difference.

PIN
    Device
    Z30
    OS
    OS 10.2.1
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Liked
    31 times
    No resolution. Tried everything. It seems it could be hardware related. I heard that if the wifi sticker is not placed correctly, it could cause this problem. I opened mine up, but did not find anything abnormal. Still have this issue. Please let me know if you resolved it by update to 7.1.0.923.

Thanks!

Device
    9900 Bold
    OS
    Carrier
    O2-UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Apologies as I have re-read my original post and there are a couple of real bloopers in the language, and I tell my kids off for that. Anyway back to the thread. Installed 7.1.0.923 (admission time, I did not make a note of the WLAN module number before the update) and upon a restart there was no difference. However I have since changed the channel on the Zoom to 11 from 6 and rebooted, not powered off, just rebooted via the web interface. I have not changed anything on the 9900 and so far I have had connection. I don't know if rebooting the Zoom to refresh the IP address and connection along with the update has worked, as I have been able to regain a connection by rebooting before but it didn't last that long. I don't tend to turn my wifi off as it saves data on my contract and so for two days the 9900 has left work connected at home and reconnected to work the following morning. I have also done a couple of battery pulls in that time after app' installation and it still connects. This of course has now put the kiss of death on it and it will drop like a stone, but it looks promising so far. We'll see what happens after the weekend, and I will let you know on Monday.

Device
    9900 Bold
    OS
    Carrier
    O2-UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Just an update to the above. Came into work this morning and connected to the work wifi. Has been fine all day. It may be premature but the 923 update may have worked with this issue.

Harmeling68 is offline Forum Moderator Follow Harmeling68 On Twitter Add Harmeling68 on Facebook Add Harmeling68 on Google+ Add Harmeling68 on Linkedin
    PIN
    3343247B
    Device
    Black Q10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    147 times
    That's great! Thanks for letting us know how it went. You are doing a great service for anybody who might experience the same issue. Have a great day!

PIN
    Device
    Z30
    OS
    OS 10.2.1
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Liked
    31 times
    Awesome!! Thanks for sharing! Also, can I ask if you noticed any features that have been removed in 7.1.0.923? I heard that you cannot use different colours for notifications now (which was built into 7.1.0.746.

Device
    9900 Bold
    OS
    Carrier
    O2-UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I can't comment on missing features as nothing seems to be missing the way I use my 9900. The notifications colours can still be selected but I have not tried them as I use BeBuzz, sorry I can't help on that. I might try stopping BeBuzz and see what happens. Also on the wifi issue just to report that the router has been physically off and on twice in the few days with mains testing happening and the 9900 is still connecting fine.

PIN
    Device
    Z30
    OS
    OS 10.2.1
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Liked
    31 times
    Hey. Thanks for the feedback. Hope it is still working fine. Let me know, and I think I will install the OS when I get some free time (especially since I am using some beta apps via the Beta Zone)

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast