50188b34
    Device
    playbook
    OS
    Liked
    1 times

Dual-SIM "SIM NOT ALLOWED" message

Hi
    I am a new member, had a playbook for 12months & recently bought a 9900 Bold unlocked, factory refurb off ebay.
    (9900 OS v7.1.0.428 From SmarTone HK)
    My work wont let me add BIS to my vodafone account so i bought a dual-sim adapter (Magicsim 28th ed) & a giffgaff sim.
    I installed the MAGICSIM with the two sims inside with my Vodafone as sim 2 & GiffGaff as Sim 1.
    when the 9900 boots up the default is sim 1 which shows up ok (but not yet activated) signal strength ok.
    the 9900 asks me to signin my BB account, which i do. now normal operation.
    next i switch to sim 2 using STK sim icon this then goes to vodafone sim 2. all still ok.
    when i switch back to sim 1 i get sim not allowed message.
    the sim is seen by the phone as i can go into settings & see sim 1's serial No.
    the only way to get back to sim 2 is pull the battery.

i have also tried the 007 mode where you dial the sim, which works as above until i get to sim not allowed message. the 007 method requires a network to be present.

pleases could anyone advise me as i believe it is possible a security settings issue with the 9900 stopping me switching.
    Last edited by stokesie; 05-30-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Updated

stokesie is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie Follow stokesie On Twitter
    PIN
    50188b34
    Device
    playbook
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Update:-
    when phone set to 2G mode then no issues switching from sim1 to sim2
    boot phone in 2G/3G mode giffgaff good on 3G, but if i switch to vodafone then back to giffgaff, sim not allowed.
    vodafone has no issues.

feel like i'm talkin to myself

csussen is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    40 times
    First of all welcome to BBOS stokesie. The issue you are having should be checked with Magicsim support. This isn't an issue in the scope of a Blackberry failure/defect and above all using dual sim in a device made for single sim isn't something someone would consider doing. If you want to do it I guess you will have to life with the fact you will eventually come into problems. Just like the issue you are having...
    --------->The pursuit of happiness leads to the road of success and fulfillment <---------

PIN
    50188b34
    Device
    playbook
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for your reply
    glad to see otheres can see my post as i was getting a bit worried after 250 views & no replies
    I just posted here to see if any other members specifically with 9900's had same issue due to the sim not allowed message, in-case it was a security settings issue.
    since my last post i am 95% sure its the magicsim causing the problem.
    also it might help other's.
    csussen likes this.

grimreaper is offline BlackBerryOS Champion
    PIN
    ask me
    Device
    9900+9380+Alpha
    OS
    7.1.0.714 [Leak]
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Liked
    498 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stokesie View Post
    Thanks for your reply
    glad to see otheres can see my post as i was getting a bit worried after 250 views & no replies
    I just posted here to see if any other members specifically with 9900's had same issue due to the sim not allowed message, in-case it was a security settings issue.
    since my last post i am 95% sure its the magicsim causing the problem.
    also it might help other's.
    I am very familiar with MagicSIM as I use that to back-up, edit, or update my BlackBerry contacts on my BlackBerry Bold 9900, or to backup other people's SIM card for those who wish to move from other platform to the BlackBerry device.

So, let me get this right, you use 2 SIM cards.

The first SIM card is not activated yet, and the other is registered to Vodafone.

When you swap back to the first SIM card, the device shows a "not allowed message".

In order to remove the SIM card out of the Bold 9900, you have to remove the battery, which will fix the issue, but only temporary.

The solution could be 1 of 2 things here, the settings on MagicSIM is not properly configured (please note: you can damage the SIM card if not handled carefully using MagicSIM software, and/or hardware).

The other is the condition of the SIM card, some cards may need to be replaced due to an older SIM card.

Replacing SIM card is another solution.

Thank you.

PIN
    50188b34
    Device
    playbook
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi there
    Just to clarify. Magicsim is a dual-sim adaptor that takes 2 cut down sim cards.
    Both my sim cards are active.
    The vodafone sim that has no issues is about 8 years old.
    The giffgaff sim card is the one i have issues with which is a few days old.
    If phone left in 2G mode, there are no issues switching back and forth.
    In 3G mode or auto I have to power up phone with giffgaff sim already selected. When I switch to vodafone, ok, switch back and I get sim not allowed.
    Have to then pull batt or put in 2G mode to get giffgaff active.
    One more thing to ad about giffgaff is that when in 2G mode network shows as O2 - UK, in auto or 3G network shows as giffgaff.
    Cheers for reading

spinrekkids is offline Forum Moderator Follow spinrekkids On Twitter Add spinrekkids on Facebook
    PIN
    N/A
    Device
    iPhone5S/9900
    OS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stokesie View Post
    Hi there
    Just to clarify. Magicsim is a dual-sim adaptor that takes 2 cut down sim cards.
    Both my sim cards are active.
    The vodafone sim that has no issues is about 8 years old.
    The giffgaff sim card is the one i have issues with which is a few days old.
    If phone left in 2G mode, there are no issues switching back and forth.
    In 3G mode or auto I have to power up phone with giffgaff sim already selected. When I switch to vodafone, ok, switch back and I get sim not allowed.
    Have to then pull batt or put in 2G mode to get giffgaff active.
    One more thing to ad about giffgaff is that when in 2G mode network shows as O2 - UK, in auto or 3G network shows as giffgaff.
    Cheers for reading
    Well giffgaff does run on O2 network so it doesn't surprise me that it says that on device. What is shocking me is that in 3G or auto network mode you get sim not allowed message when switching to giffgaff from Vodafone. Have you contacted MagicSIM about this issue?

Click the button in the bottom right of a post to say thanks!

ignites is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow ignites On Twitter
    Device
    9900, PB
    OS
    7.1.0.746 & 2.1.0
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Liked
    43 times
    it may just be me, but i know my older sim cards look different than the newer ones (the chip size is different even though the card size is the same). It may be that 8 yr old sim card does not support 3G
    ghostryder likes this.