Bold 9900 - Insert SIM Card / SOS issue (SIM cards don't work / no mobile network access)

Thread: Bold 9900 - Insert SIM Card / SOS issue (SIM cards don't work / no mobile network access)

iresimo is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Bold 9900
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation Bold 9900 - Insert SIM Card / SOS issue (SIM cards don't work / no mobile network access)

Hello,
    sorry to bother you, I'm a new user of BlackBerry and I wanted to start with the last model (BB Bold 9900), I picked a bargain on eBay with declared 'continuous rebooting' but with a simple software update (BB OS 7.1) and a new original battery seems that it works ok! I can in fact switch it on and off and configure without apparent problems and WiFi seems working great...
    The only problem so far is that... besides the phone has been sold as *unlocked* (though it has a Rogers brand logo at the bottom of the keyboard) I cannot use my simcards (an italian and a thai one). The phone keeps saying: "Insert SIM Card' and the 'SOS' marking close to the antenna on the top-right corner of the screen.

I know I should have a data plan to enable all the BB related services (email push, BBM, Facebook, etc.) but for simple calling or SMS (making and receiving) a SIM card should be enough... or not?

This is what I found out:

1) I checked forums and websites and while accessing the advanced device configuration and typing MEPD, this is what I get:
    SIM Disabled
    Network Inactive
    Network Subset Disabled
    Service Provider Disabled
    Corporate Disabled

On top of that screen I can read: 'SIM Card: No Valid SIM Card'

2) If I open Options -> Networks and Connections -> Mobile Network on the right side at the line starting with 'Mobile Network:' there's the name of the carrier (that seems the phone is really capable of accessing the GSM network, and in particular the carrier of the specific SIM card I'm inserting in it).
    3) the 'BlackBerry Device Analyzer' after running the Cellular Network Connection Issues ends with this results:Antenna Ready: PassedVoice Ready: FailedData Ready: FailedBlackberry Ready: Not RunAnd after pushing 'Next' this is the final resolution: 'The SIM Card is invalid or not inserted. Please check your SIM Card';
    4) The telephone looks like new and there are no signs of wear outside and inside. The four golden contacts of the SIM card displacement look brilliant and clean. The insertion of the SIM card seems smooth though steady with SIM card contacts facing down and according installation specifications;
    5) in the end I checked the IMEI (at a well know australian web site) and it seems that is not blacklisted (though this verification may be inaccurate or at least not completely up-to-date).

That's it... I also tried reinstalling the software another time but this situation hasn't changed.
    By the way, do anyone know what is the difference between 'Disabled' and 'Inactive' in the SIM status windows (after the MEPD typing)?

Sorry for such a long message but I'm pretty sure this gives everybody as much information as possible as to avoid possible further suggestions and repeated retries...
    Thank you all for your kind attention, support and understanding... please let me know if someone knows about a similar behaviour and may suggest what can I do further (before trying another device unlock, if even possible, or repair ),
    regards...
    S.
    Last edited by iresimo; 03-18-2012 at 11:04 PM.

TwistMyMind is offline Editor In Chief Follow TwistMyMind On Twitter Add TwistMyMind on Facebook Add TwistMyMind on Google+ Add TwistMyMind on Linkedin Visit TwistMyMind's Youtube Channel
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Telus
    Liked
    294 times
    Might be a defective SIM card?
    Follow me on Twitter

Click the button in the bottom right of a post to say thanks!
    Downloads Center | Rules and Guidelines l Resource Center

Device
    Bold 9900
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation Bold 9900 'Insert SIM Card' / SOS

Hello,I don't think so... because one is the SIM card that works currently with my old handset (that I'm trying to substitute with the BB) and the other is an old, but working one, even if from another country (that is working here in roaming mode). As far as you know, might there be a missing registration of the SIM card by the local carrier? I got to know that as for voice or SMS a working SIM card should be enough... but maybe this isnot true and I need also a registration of the phone at the local carrier before I can use it (bothfor basic communication and for BB data services)?!? Thank you for kind support and reply. Please let me know...

TwistMyMind is offline Editor In Chief Follow TwistMyMind On Twitter Add TwistMyMind on Facebook Add TwistMyMind on Google+ Add TwistMyMind on Linkedin Visit TwistMyMind's Youtube Channel
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Telus
    Liked
    294 times
    Have you verified with your carrier that SIM/Device are registered with carrier?

Device
    Bold 9900
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation Re: Bold 9900 - Insert SIM Card / SOS issue (SIM cards don't work / no mobile network access)

Quote Originally Posted by TwistMyMind View Post
    Have you verified with your carrier that SIM/Device are registered with carrier?
    Actually not. That is, my thai SIM card (from AIS, that works flawlessly in a Nokia handset) does not contain any BlackBerry service on it.

Secondly, the BB handset has not been registered yet with AIS (that is still didn't go to an AIS dealer to register PIN or whatever).

Do I need this 'registration' first to let the BB just connect with the AIS GSM network?!?

Thank you very much, regards,
    S.

Device
    Bold 9900
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by iresimo View Post
    Actually not. That is, my thai SIM card (from AIS, that works flawlessly in a Nokia handset) does not contain any BlackBerry service on it.

Secondly, the BB handset has not been registered yet with AIS (that is still didn't go to an AIS dealer to register PIN or whatever).

Do I need this 'registration' first to let the BB just connect with the AIS GSM network?!?

Thank you very much, regards,
    S.
    [EDIT]

I would like to add this information that might be useful in trying to investigate more on the software or on the hardware sides: the two SIM cards I'm trying to use with this phone are both PIN protected, so I should be asked to insert the PIN before use, but the phone doesn't ask for that either.

This keeps me thinking of a kind of a hardware misbehaviour since the SIM cards are not recognized as such even *before* any kind of attempt of identification/registration with the actual GSM carrier (that is in any case detected, since I can obtain a list of all the carriers that transmit around me through the network connections details in my phone).

What do you think... ?

Thanks again very much!
    S.

grimreaper is offline BlackBerryOS Champion
    PIN
    ask me
    Device
    9900+9380+Alpha
    OS
    7.1.0.714 [Leak]
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Liked
    497 times
    [EDIT]

I would like to add this information that might be useful in trying to investigate more on the software or on the hardware sides: the two SIM cards I'm trying to use with this phone are both PIN protected, so I should be asked to insert the PIN before use, but the phone doesn't ask for that either.

This keeps me thinking of a kind of a hardware misbehaviour since the SIM cards are not recognized as such even *before* any kind of attempt of identification/registration with the actual GSM carrier (that is in any case detected, since I can obtain a list of all the carriers that transmit around me through the network connections details in my phone).

What do you think... ?

Thanks again very much!
    S.
    If you're able to access Options>Device>Advanced System Settings>SIM Card

Look at the top screen says SIM Card: Security Disabled?

When you insert a SIM Card that has security enabled it's a guarantee that you will be asked to provide this code to unlock the BlackBerry Bold 9900.

Users need not to be confused between SIM locked and device locked.

Even though you mention that your SIM Card(s) are PIN protected, they are not enabled.

Also, let's say you wiped the BlackBerry Bold 9900, installed OS7.1.0.284, security disabled on both SIM cards, and you still get that message?

Either the SIM card hasn't been registered with your mobile carrier, or the SIM card is defective.

Thank you.

Device
    Bold 9900
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
    If you're able to access Options>Device>Advanced System Settings>SIM Card Look at the top screen says SIM Card: Security Disabled?
    Hi, on top of that screen I can read: SIM Card: No Valid SIM Card...
    When you insert a SIM Card that has security enabled it's a guarantee that you will be asked to provide this code to unlock the BlackBerry Bold 9900.Users need not to be confused between SIM locked and device locked. Even though you mention that your SIM Card(s) are PIN protected, they are not enabled.
    Sorry but I'm still puzzled by the difference between 'PIN protected' and 'not enabled'. Moreovera little bit before you're speaking about 'this code' and I keep wondering of what code are you tryingto explain about...I mean, the telephone connects to the GSM network and tries to allow the owner of the SIM to communicatethrough the specific network... The problem is, when does this happen? Even before the user enters his/herPIN or only after? (I'm referring to the matching between network and SIM, not to the authorizationto place calls and/or send SMSes).
    Also, let's say you wiped the BlackBerry Bold 9900, installed OS7.1.0.284, security disabled on both SIM cards, and you still get that message?Either the SIM card hasn't been registered with your mobile carrier, or the SIM card is defective.Thank you.
    I did exactly what you mention except 'disabling security' on SIM cards (which is something that Ididn't understand and would like to know more about...).About the conclusions, I may add that:1) AIS Thai SIM card works well on a Nokia phone (calls, SMS and Internet/WAP services) andPIN is enabled;2) Italian SIM card works again well with the same handset, in roaming with other thai carriers (prefersTrue instead of AIS) and PIN is activated as well.What does it mean that the 'SIM card hasn't been registered' with my mobile phone carrier? Is ita network/carrier issue or BlackBerry-specific?Thank you again very much

grimreaper is offline BlackBerryOS Champion
    PIN
    ask me
    Device
    9900+9380+Alpha
    OS
    7.1.0.714 [Leak]
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Liked
    497 times
    Hi, on top of that screen I can read: SIM Card: No Valid SIM Card...
    I find that very strange, considering it works for your other mobile device (as mentioned in post#5)

Quote Originally Posted by iresimo
    Sorry but I'm still puzzled by the difference between 'PIN protected' and 'not enabled'. Moreovera little bit before you're speaking about 'this code' and I keep wondering of what code are you tryingto explain about...I mean, the telephone connects to the GSM network and tries to allow the owner of the SIM to communicatethrough the specific network... The problem is, when does this happen? Even before the user enters his/herPIN or only after? (I'm referring to the matching between network and SIM, not to the authorizationto place calls and/or send SMSes).

I did exactly what you mention except 'disabling security' on SIM cards (which is something that Ididn't understand and would like to know more about...).About the conclusions, I may add that:1) AIS Thai SIM card works well on a Nokia phone (calls, SMS and Internet/WAP services) andPIN is enabled;2) Italian SIM card works again well with the same handset, in roaming with other thai carriers (prefersTrue instead of AIS) and PIN is activated as well.What does it mean that the 'SIM card hasn't been registered' with my mobile phone carrier? Is ita network/carrier issue or BlackBerry-specific?Thank you again very much
    I have taken a screen shot from my BlackBerry Bold 9900, which shows my SIM PIN security.

If you wish to Enable Security on your SIM card, or change the SIM PIN code, a message will pop up to enter the SIM PIN code (3 Left) to Enable security on your SIM card.
    Be very careful not to forget your SIM PIN code, as the SIM card will no longer work after 3 unsuccessful attempts, and all data on that SIM card will self destruct.

Bold 9900 - Insert SIM Card / SOS issue (SIM cards don't work / no mobile network access)-enable-sim-security.jpg Bold 9900 - Insert SIM Card / SOS issue (SIM cards don't work / no mobile network access)-enter-pin-code.jpg

I hope you will find an answer to your issues, as I can only suggest to upgrade your BlackBerry Bold 9900 to the latest official OS7.1.0.284, or contact your current mobile wireless carrier to verify the SIM card (registration) in question, or a possible issue with the device itself.

Thank you.

Device
    Bold 9900
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I find that very strange, considering it works for your other mobile device (as mentioned in post#5)

I have taken a screen shot from my BlackBerry Bold 9900, which shows my SIM PIN security.

If you wish to Enable Security on your SIM card, or change the SIM PIN code, a message will pop up to enter the SIM PIN code (3 Left) to Enable security on your SIM card.
    Be very careful not to forget your SIM PIN code, as the SIM card will no longer work after 3 unsuccessful attempts, and all data on that SIM card will self destruct.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enable SIM security.jpg 
Views:	5841 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	3088 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enter pin code.jpg 
Views:	5123 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	3089

I hope you will find an answer to your issues, as I can only suggest to upgrade your BlackBerry Bold 9900 to the latest official OS7.1.0.284, or contact your current mobile wireless carrier to verify the SIM card (registration) in question, or a possible issue with the device itself.

Thank you.
    Hi,
    thank you again in reading and keeping supporting me...

I agree with you this is getting strange... So I'm keeping thinking there might be some hardware involvement, despite
    the SIM contacts appear clean and brilliant in the proper displacement and the insertion appears smooth and the sim card
    steady...

Of course the next step is to ask support at the local carrier which I think I'll do tomorrow or at last
    the day after tomorrow...

I know that Thai technicians are very clever and usually cheap in fixing those electronic annoyances in most of the
    cases. Hope that I'll receive such a support then...

By the way the menus that you kindly attached to the post simply don't appear in my mobile (I suppose just
    because of the SIM card perceived as 'non valid' or even absent!

If you have any further directions, please get in touch! Thank you again very very much.
    S.

Bha777 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi
    have you managed to figure out the problem... and a solution??
    im struggling with the same problem

nrnr31 is offline Forum Moderator Follow nrnr31 On Twitter
    PIN
    PM me :)
    Device
    Z30
    OS
    OS 10.2.1
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Liked
    30 times
    It may be the fact that the frequencies are different in your area, compared to the actual carrier device frequencies.
    Thanks for visiting and enjoy using your BlackBerry!
    Please my post if it has helped you. Much appreciated!

Ha Lam Truong is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi,
    thank you again in reading and keeping supporting me...

I agree with you this is getting strange... So I'm keeping thinking there might be some hardware involvement, despite
    the SIM contacts appear clean and brilliant in the proper displacement and the insertion appears smooth and the sim card
    steady...

Of course the next step is to ask support at the local carrier which I think I'll do tomorrow or at last
    the day after tomorrow...

I know that Thai technicians are very clever and usually cheap in fixing those electronic annoyances in most of the
    cases. Hope that I'll receive such a support then...

By the way the menus that you kindly attached to the post simply don't appear in my mobile (I suppose just
    because of the SIM card perceived as 'non valid' or even absent!

If you have any further directions, please get in touch! Thank you again very very much.
    S.
    I have the same your problem, it's be solved?