Bold 9900 - Insert SIM Card / SOS issue (SIM cards don't work / no mobile network access)
sorry to bother you, I'm a new user of BlackBerry and I wanted to start with the last model (BB Bold 9900), I picked a bargain on eBay with declared 'continuous rebooting' but with a simple software update (BB OS 7.1) and a new original battery seems that it works ok! I can in fact switch it on and off and configure without apparent problems and WiFi seems working great...
The only problem so far is that... besides the phone has been sold as *unlocked* (though it has a Rogers brand logo at the bottom of the keyboard) I cannot use my simcards (an italian and a thai one). The phone keeps saying: "Insert SIM Card' and the 'SOS' marking close to the antenna on the top-right corner of the screen.
I know I should have a data plan to enable all the BB related services (email push, BBM, Facebook, etc.) but for simple calling or SMS (making and receiving) a SIM card should be enough... or not?
This is what I found out:
1) I checked forums and websites and while accessing the advanced device configuration and typing MEPD, this is what I get:
On top of that screen I can read: 'SIM Card: No Valid SIM Card'
2) If I open Options -> Networks and Connections -> Mobile Network on the right side at the line starting with 'Mobile Network:' there's the name of the carrier (that seems the phone is really capable of accessing the GSM network, and in particular the carrier of the specific SIM card I'm inserting in it).
3) the 'BlackBerry Device Analyzer' after running the Cellular Network Connection Issues ends with this results:Antenna Ready: PassedVoice Ready: FailedData Ready: FailedBlackberry Ready: Not RunAnd after pushing 'Next' this is the final resolution: 'The SIM Card is invalid or not inserted. Please check your SIM Card';
4) The telephone looks like new and there are no signs of wear outside and inside. The four golden contacts of the SIM card displacement look brilliant and clean. The insertion of the SIM card seems smooth though steady with SIM card contacts facing down and according installation specifications;
5) in the end I checked the IMEI (at a well know australian web site) and it seems that is not blacklisted (though this verification may be inaccurate or at least not completely up-to-date).
That's it... I also tried reinstalling the software another time but this situation hasn't changed.
By the way, do anyone know what is the difference between 'Disabled' and 'Inactive' in the SIM status windows (after the MEPD typing)?
Sorry for such a long message but I'm pretty sure this gives everybody as much information as possible as to avoid possible further suggestions and repeated retries...
Thank you all for your kind attention, support and understanding... please let me know if someone knows about a similar behaviour and may suggest what can I do further (before trying another device unlock, if even possible, or repair :(),
Bold 9900 'Insert SIM Card' / SOS
Hello,I don't think so... because one is the SIM card that works currently with my old handset (that I'm trying to substitute with the BB) and the other is an old, but working one, even if from another country (that is working here in roaming mode). As far as you know, might there be a missing registration of the SIM card by the local carrier? I got to know that as for voice or SMS a working SIM card should be enough... but maybe this isnot true and I need also a registration of the phone at the local carrier before I can use it (bothfor basic communication and for BB data services)?!? Thank you for kind support and reply. Please let me know... :)
Re: Bold 9900 - Insert SIM Card / SOS issue (SIM cards don't work / no mobile network access)
Actually not. That is, my thai SIM card (from AIS, that works flawlessly in a Nokia handset) does not contain any BlackBerry service on it.
Originally Posted by TwistMyMind
Secondly, the BB handset has not been registered yet with AIS (that is still didn't go to an AIS dealer to register PIN or whatever).
Do I need this 'registration' first to let the BB just connect with the AIS GSM network?!?
Thank you very much, regards,