Device
    Q10
    OS
    Carrier
    LIME
    Liked
    0 times

Making the 9900 4G capable?

Hi guys, I recently got my 9900, my carrier is LIME (previously known as Cable & Wireless). I bought a phone from a small time phone dealer because the price was better and couldn't afford a contract at this time. The original carrier for the phone is Sutel, which is based in Costa Rica. A friend of mine who works here at LIME was doing some updates to the 9900's they were bringing in to sell to make them capable with our 4G network. He was saying that because the phone is from a different carrier he wouldn't be able to do the same for me. I am just trying to see if he is mistaken? Anyone have any insight on this?

grimreaper is offline BlackBerryOS Champion
    PIN
    ask me
    Device
    9900+9380+Alpha
    OS
    7.1.0.714 [Leak]
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Liked
    497 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sh0tta View Post
    Hi guys, I recently got my 9900, my carrier is LIME (previously known as Cable & Wireless). I bought a phone from a small time phone dealer because the price was better and couldn't afford a contract at this time. The original carrier for the phone is Sutel, which is based in Costa Rica. A friend of mine who works here at LIME was doing some updates to the 9900's they were bringing in to sell to make them capable with our 4G network. He was saying that because the phone is from a different carrier he wouldn't be able to do the same for me. I am just trying to see if he is mistaken? Anyone have any insight on this?
    If your BlackBerry Bold 9900 is unlocked, you can choose any carrier you wish, assuming the carrier provides the technology available in such country.

The original carrier, Sutel, which I looked up, is based in Latin America/South America, under ICE.

Also, BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Site, for the BB Bold 9900, does not even have an OS device software for this device on their site.

Device software for ICE

So basically, you can choose any other carrier's OS device software, which I can provide for you.

Official BlackBerry 9930/9900 Bold downloads - BBOS

Latest Official Partner Communications Bold 9900 OS7.0.0.590 - BBOS

Enjoy
    Last edited by grimreaper; 12-27-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: updated info

sh0tta is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    2AFC3E55
    Device
    Q10
    OS
    Carrier
    LIME
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you, but not sure you're understanding what I mean, I am on the LIME network already, I just only pick up 3G. My friend was saying it has something to do with the different bands between the carriers?

or maybe you do understand and are saying that by changing the OS I will be able to pick up the 4G?

PIN
    ask me
    Device
    9900+9380+Alpha
    OS
    7.1.0.714 [Leak]
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Liked
    497 times
    Thank you, but not sure you're understanding what I mean, I am on the LIME network already, I just only pick up 3G. My friend was saying it has something to do with the different bands between the carriers?

or maybe you do understand and are saying that by changing the OS I will be able to pick up the 4G?
    The BlackBerry Bold 9900 is capable of 4G network's, and your current carrier, LIME Network, does provide 4G wireless network also, I only provided those links to show you that you can update to a better OS Official build which would benefit you, and your phone.

I'm sorry if I was not understanding you.

PIN
    2AFC3E55
    Device
    Q10
    OS
    Carrier
    LIME
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks, going to upgrade today.

Still if anyone knows how to get my phone to pick up the 4G network, please let me know.
    We can make it!!!

PIN
    2AFC3E55
    Device
    Q10
    OS
    Carrier
    LIME
    Liked
    0 times
    ahh okay, soo I am getting some feed back from a friend who just walked into my house...lol. He is saying that the reason for not picking up the 4G is because my phone does not come with the LIME vendor ID. Saying also that if you were to alter the installer to include LIME's vendor ID it would work. Similar to how it was done to include various themes from different providers. Not sure if anyone understands how to do that, but I sure as hell don't. If anyone can help explain how to do this, let me know. I would love to be able to pick up 4G.
    We can make it!!!

PIN
    ask me
    Device
    9900+9380+Alpha
    OS
    7.1.0.714 [Leak]
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Liked
    497 times
    From what I read on LIME website, the 4G wireless network technology definitely exists in your area which was Official as of August 2011, so yes, you can receive 4G wireless network signal from your carrier, LIME, which can be seen from this link,
    Source LIME Cayman Islands

Also, the Official build from your carrier is OS7.0.0.585, which is currently a lower build than what I have posted above for you (OS7.0.0.590)

I hope this clarifies any further questions you have regarding the BlackBerry Bold 9900, and 4G wireless network from LIME.

Thank you

PIN
    ask me
    Device
    9900+9380+Alpha
    OS
    7.1.0.714 [Leak]
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Liked
    497 times
    ahh okay, soo I am getting some feed back from a friend who just walked into my house...lol. He is saying that the reason for not picking up the 4G is because my phone does not come with the LIME vendor ID. Saying also that if you were to alter the installer to include LIME's vendor ID it would work. Similar to how it was done to include various themes from different providers. Not sure if anyone understands how to do that, but I sure as hell don't. If anyone can help explain how to do this, let me know. I would love to be able to pick up 4G.
    Follow this link on how to update the phone's OS here:

Official: OS 7.0.0.590 for BlackBerry Bold 9900 via Partner Communications

In case a small remote possibility that your BlackBerry Bold 9900 is not unlocked, please follow this link:

How to unlock BlackBerry Bold 9930/9900

Thank you again
    Last edited by grimreaper; 12-27-2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: updating info

jerry12 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    32FE4F87
    Device
    Bold 9930
    OS
    V7.0.0.374 / 1739
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Liked
    7 times
    The 9900/9930 will Not run on a true 4G LTE network it doesn't have 4G built radio biult into it.

PIN
    ask me
    Device
    9900+9380+Alpha
    OS
    7.1.0.714 [Leak]
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Liked
    497 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry12 View Post
    The 9900/9930 will Not run on a true 4G LTE network it doesn't have 4G built radio biult into it.
    The BlackBerry Bold 9900 works with these carrier networks: UMTS, GSM, GPRS, EDGE, HSDPA, & HSUPA, which means it works with 2G,3G, and 4G (H+) wireless networks.

Users of HSPA+ should not be confused with LTE, which uses a new air interface.

AgentBlackBerry is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow AgentBlackBerry On Twitter Add AgentBlackBerry on Facebook Add AgentBlackBerry on Google+
    PIN
    2ADD0724
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Liked
    478 times
    Also though, and this may be the biggest problem, if your phone is from a carrier that uses a different frequency bands than the one you are currently on you may not be able to get 4G at all.

Example, an unlocked T-Mobile USA 9900 cannot get 3G or 4G while on AT&T's network due to differences in radio frequency bands. The most you can get is 2G. This is most likely why your friend said your phone could not run of that carrier's 4G network. Even if both networks are GSM this distinction can still occur.

Also, the vendor ID has nothing to do with the actual device's radio files which is what controls the signal so while it can be motified for certain things, the radio is not one of them.
    ghostryder and grimreaper like this.
    Click the Like link in the bottom right of a post to say thanks!
    Resource Center ~ Rules and Guidelines ~ Download Center

Comos Joseph is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie Follow Comos Joseph On Twitter
    Device
    Liked
    0 times

what if u live in trinidad my wireless network is digicel 4g can the 9930 work cause it make no sence i buy it an i can't get it to work here, what should i do