Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery shock bold 9900

Jvmerro is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    OS
    Current
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah, I guess going back an OS may help in the case of the battery not remaining charged. However, perhaps you need some new phone updates to help it work more optimally. The low battery life seems like a common complaint though. It probably is from the way this type of phone is used.

Vecharo is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow Vecharo On Twitter
    Device
    Bold 9900
    OS
    OS 7.1
    Liked
    16 times
    I went from 540 to the new 7.1 leak and the battery is the same. Today I took the plunge and did not charge and got about 8 hours out of it, which to me is not acceptable. Granted I love the phone, but it's definitely not ready for primetime unless you have a spare battery (I bought 2 a couple of days after I got the phone). I upgraded from the 9800, which had it's issues compared to the 9700, but really: I think the 9700 was just in a league of it's own.

I have never heard of the battery shocking theory but will try it. As an aside what programs do you guys use to measure the ADR? I'm using meterberry as I always have but based on the small font (regardless of your system font, the meterberry font stays small) I'm guessing it's not really tuned for OS 7.
    Follow me on Twitter: @vecharo

baggiesads is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    bold 9900
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm really hoping the 7.1 RIM confirm solves our issues because I love this bold but the battery just doesn't live up to what we expect

Device
    bold 9900
    Liked
    2 times
    anyone know how much longer before the official 7.1 comes out? I'm starting to get more and more :@ having to carry my mobile charger around keeping my battery going while using it 247 like a blackberry should be able to handle
    Tweet: @baggiesss

Joe Jerde is online now Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1502 times
    Quote Originally Posted by baggiesads View Post
    anyone know how much longer before the official 7.1 comes out? I'm starting to get more and more :@ having to carry my mobile charger around keeping my battery going while using it 247 like a blackberry should be able to handle
    Should be this month for sure. Usually it's a couple weeks after we see the first leaks.

Click the button in the bottom right of a post to say thanks!
    Downloads Center | Rules and Guidelines l BlackBerry 10 Zone

Device
    bold 9900
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm thinking around 10th Dec mate really hope it is and they solve the OS issues

gdel60 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    OS
    Carrier
    Mobily
    Liked
    0 times
    I have upgraded to 7.1.0.240 and it is still poor, it is something to do with 'polling' for emails because if I turn off 'data' it is fine and will easily last the day which is clearly no good to anyone!
    It would be good if you cold lower the poll time, but I understand this is not possible?

May go back to my trusty 9700..........

grimreaper is offline BlackBerryOS Champion
    PIN
    ask me
    Device
    9900+9380+Alpha
    OS
    7.1.0.714 [Leak]
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Liked
    495 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gdel60 View Post
    I have upgraded to 7.1.0.240 and it is still poor, it is something to do with 'polling' for emails because if I turn off 'data' it is fine and will easily last the day which is clearly no good to anyone!
    It would be good if you cold lower the poll time, but I understand this is not possible?

May go back to my trusty 9700..........
    If I may correct your post, gdel60, the latest leaked OS for the BlackBerry Bold 9900 is OS 7.1.0.205

Download: 9900_7.1.0.205

It has nothing to do with "polling" for emails, the issue regarding battery life, which most of the time, user's forget to stop applications running in the background.

When I am done with an application, I turn it off, which saves battery life.

There are other factors why the battery drains as fast as it does, such as a poorly written BlackBerry app, which eats up battery life more than it should, which is very unfortunate.

I love my BlackBerry Bold 9900, and I have nothing bad to say about it....absolutely nothing.

sachmalh is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow sachmalh On Twitter
    PIN
    24CB6BCF
    Device
    Blackberry Z10
    OS
    10.1.0.2354 Hybrid
    Carrier
    Wind Mobile
    Liked
    2 times
    I would have to agree with grimreaper that this is by far the best os on 9900. I took my phone off the charger at 6am this morning and at 5:30pm I still have 70% left. This is with 80 modules and 79 processes running on average. I am impressed being the data abuser that I am (avg monthly usage 2.78gb).

Device
    OS
    Carrier
    Mobily
    Liked
    0 times
    Guys, sorry for the slip up on the OS, you are right :-)

Anyway the battery issue is not due background apps running as I have trie dthat already. However, what I have discovered today is that if you switch the phone to 2G only the battery is great, everything I mostly use still works BBM, eMail and internet.

It has saved a migration to iPhone :-)

Thanks for your help anyway.

Device
    OS
    Carrier
    Mobily
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

Are you aware of any and can you name any of the 'Poorly written apps' that you mention?

sachmalh is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow sachmalh On Twitter
    PIN
    24CB6BCF
    Device
    Blackberry Z10
    OS
    10.1.0.2354 Hybrid
    Carrier
    Wind Mobile
    Liked
    2 times
    Did you talk to ur carrier. I had the same issue. Telus told me that the first batch of batteries was faulty. Replaced my battery and now I don't have to look for my charger 3 times a day
    Joe Jerde likes this.

ovais is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    PIN
    Device
    9900 Bold
    OS
    Carrier
    Project Management
    Liked
    0 times
    I am a new user of 9900 and very disappointed with the battery life. It last for only 4-5 hours a day and that too without using anything. I always make sure that there should not be any program running behind but still it is a pain seeing it getting drained. Is it with all the models having OS 7.0 or it is some special case only with me? Is there anything to do with battery make? I used 9500 Storm earlier and was quite satisfied with the battery life but that was also a pain in the &(*&(*
    please help..!!!

Device
    bold 9900
    Liked
    2 times
    Type "9900 battery" on twitter your see we're not alone loads people are having the same problem

Orange UK said official 7.1 comes out middle Feb so I'm praying this solves the issue

Till then I'm loving my mobile chargers as 6/7 hours is maximum I'm getting from this very shocking batttery

rafiki is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    PB64, Bold 9900
    OS
    2.1 beta
    Carrier
    Vodafone ES
    Liked
    16 times
    I'm just in here looking around as I am shortly changing from my 9700 to the 9900 and the battery life problem worries me. It did remind me of the time my 9700 updated from OS 5 to 6. Suddenly battery life plunged. It was fixed, as far as I remember, by switching off Compression which was enabled by default. Could this be a reason for the low battery life in the 9900?

tracyholland is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    bold 9900
    Liked
    0 times
    I purchased a 9900 in december 11 for my 14 yr old son on a 2 yr contract. He has always had a mob as this one is terrible, its his first blackberry and i am sick and fed up of not being able to get hold of him. The reason for him having a phone is so i can get in touch 24/7 and now i can never get hold of him as his batt only lasts about 4 hours. I really need to sort out this problem, any tips would be appreciated.

PIN
    ask me
    Device
    9900+9380+Alpha
    OS
    7.1.0.714 [Leak]
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Liked
    495 times
    Quote Originally Posted by baggiesads View Post
    Type "9900 battery" on twitter your see we're not alone loads people are having the same problem

Orange UK said official 7.1 comes out middle Feb so I'm praying this solves the issue

Till then I'm loving my mobile chargers as 6/7 hours is maximum I'm getting from this very shocking batttery
    From what I see baggiesads, Orange UK latest official OS7 is OS7.0.0.590, as of today.

They haven't released 7.1 just yet, but I'm sure when they do, we'll be posting that on in the near future.

PIN
    ask me
    Device
    9900+9380+Alpha
    OS
    7.1.0.714 [Leak]
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Liked
    495 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rafiki View Post
    I'm just in here looking around as I am shortly changing from my 9700 to the 9900 and the battery life problem worries me. It did remind me of the time my 9700 updated from OS 5 to 6. Suddenly battery life plunged. It was fixed, as far as I remember, by switching off Compression which was enabled by default. Could this be a reason for the low battery life in the 9900?
    I wouldn't worry about the battery life, changing from the BlackBerry Bold 9700, to the BlackBerry Bold 9900.

Compression has nothing to do with battery life.

Having unused applications running in the background, is a reason for low battery life.

PIN
    ask me
    Device
    9900+9380+Alpha
    OS
    7.1.0.714 [Leak]
    Carrier
    Koodo
    Liked
    495 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tracyholland View Post
    I purchased a 9900 in december 11 for my 14 yr old son on a 2 yr contract. He has always had a mob as this one is terrible, its his first blackberry and i am sick and fed up of not being able to get hold of him. The reason for him having a phone is so i can get in touch 24/7 and now i can never get hold of him as his batt only lasts about 4 hours. I really need to sort out this problem, any tips would be appreciated.
    Welcome to tracyholland

They say when you purchase a brand new BlackBerry device, you should plug it in to full before using it, as the battery needs to charge properly for the first couple of times, when the battery is low, then charge it full, not half way.

If this is not done, the battery may discharge faster than necessarily, and this applies to any mobile phone.

If I may suggest reading, How To: Improve Your BlackBerry Performance Speed thanx to our own Blogger robyntheginger

It's an excellent article how to get the most out of your BlackBerry device.

Hope this helps you.
    rafiki likes this.

rafiki is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    PB64, Bold 9900
    OS
    2.1 beta
    Carrier
    Vodafone ES
    Liked
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the battery life, changing from the BlackBerry Bold 9700, to the BlackBerry Bold 9900.

Compression has nothing to do with battery life.

Having unused applications running in the background, is a reason for low battery life.
    Thanks grimreaper. It was very noticeable how battery life improved a great deal after switching off compression. When my daughter did the same with her BB Torch she got much improved battery life too. I wouldn't have thought of it but it was documented elsewhere at the time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast