biggsd is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Bold 9700
    OS
    Liked
    2 times

9900 - Not sure I like it

(Stands-by for flaming...)
    Had a look at one in the Carphone Warehouse and compared it to my 9700. Although thinner, its got wider and IMO less comfortable to hold. Also the screen size doesn't seem to have benefitted from the increased footprint of the unit, nor are the keys any easier to hit so the extra size doesn't seem to have that many upsides on first acquaintance.

I only hope the 99xx series isn't my only route to v7 'cos I'll be a bit stuck as to my next upgrade when the time comes.

Does anyone else feel the same or am I just being picky?
    ice2921 and Joe Jerde like this.

Tersammy is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Z10
    Liked
    34 times
    Unfortunately, I haven't had the honor of playing with a new 9900 yet. I really can't wait though. I'm hoping
    I won't feel the way you do. I've waited so long. It would definitely be a disappointment if I didn't like it. Maybe you need some time with it. I remember when I upgraded to my first full keyboard from a Pearl. I loved that Pearl sooooo much that it was difficult to enjoy the larger BB. I was soon won over though after spending several days with it. Probably wouldn't like the Pearl anymore as silly as that sounds

Wolf_Dreams is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie Follow Wolf_Dreams On Twitter
    Device
    OS
    9700/6.0.0.461
    Liked
    1 times
    The Torch 9800 was a pain to get used to, as I had the 9700 and 9780 before it. But, with time, I began to really love it. Still love the physical keyboard. The integration of a touch-screen took a while before I stopped cursing it (and began using it :P) and I learned to used the lock button to prevent pocket-dialing and inadvertent message deletion, etc...

Any current users of the Bold 9700 9780 that had a Bold 9000 previously, really wished they had the old 9000 form-factor. I believe many new 9900 owners will really enjoy the bigger real-estate (and the blinding speed) of the new Bold

Thank god its not a huge adjustment (like switching to Android or others) the keyboard shortcuts, etc, will still be there.

Ditto on the Pearl sentiments :P
    Joe Jerde likes this.

ice2921 is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow ice2921 On Twitter
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Liked
    751 times
    Quote Originally Posted by biggsd View Post
    Had a look at one in the Carphone Warehouse and compared it to my 9700. Although thinner, its got wider and IMO less comfortable to hold. Also the screen size doesn't seem to have benefitted from the increased footprint of the unit, nor are the keys any easier to hit so the extra size doesn't seem to have that many upsides on first acquaintance.

I only hope the 99xx series isn't my only route to v7 'cos I'll be a bit stuck as to my next upgrade when the time comes.

Welcome to BBOS. Everyone here is definitively entitled to their opinion so there will be no flaming here. I think you brought up some pretty valid points regarding the size differences. The 9900 is a little bloated compared to the 9700, and after a while of using it could become cumbersome.

AgentBlackBerry is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow AgentBlackBerry On Twitter Add AgentBlackBerry on Facebook Add AgentBlackBerry on Google+
    PIN
    2ADD0724
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Liked
    478 times
    SAY NO TO FLAMING! That being said, I completely disagree lol... I remember when the Bold 9000, the device the 9900 was modeled after, came out, it was such a change from previous BlackBerry devices that some people, even yours truly, considered it to be the best BlackBerry back then. It might be that that has had an influence in how we feel about the device but most likely not. I personally love the big keyboard and was SO happy they brought it back.

Others though don't like the big keyboard though and this is why RIM is better than Apple. BlackBerry gives you choices. If you don't like the Bold 99xx series but what OS 7, guess what? You can get the Bold 9790, which will be coming out later and get the best of both worlds. If not, you can also pick up a BlackBerry Curve 9350, 9360, or 9370 instead.

Either way, BlackBerry = #winning
    clubbstudios likes this.
    Click the Like link in the bottom right of a post to say thanks!
    Resource Center ~ Rules and Guidelines ~ Download Center

Device
    Bold 9700
    OS
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks for the replies folks. I'm a few months off being able to upgrade my handset , but by the time I do it looks like I'm going to be spoilt for choice . I'm a fairly recent convert (using a BB for just over 12 months), but I can't see myself going to another make anytime soon; I just love my 9700 (just wish it was a bit quicker).

Roll on upgrade time!

lacroixn is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    27FFB707
    Device
    OS
    Carrier
    TMO
    Liked
    4 times
    I love it
    Joe Jerde likes this.
    **** happens just chill :aargh4:

Joe Jerde is offline Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1502 times
    I know a lot of users with larger hands like the larger keyboards. I for one am one of those users. I had a hard time using the keyboard on my 9650.

Click the button in the bottom right of a post to say thanks!
    Downloads Center | Rules and Guidelines l BlackBerry 10 Zone

Device
    Bold 9700
    OS
    Liked
    2 times
    Forgive my noobie-ness, but what's the difference between the 9900 and 9930?

Joe Jerde is offline Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1502 times
    Forgive my noobie-ness, but what's the difference between the 9900 and 9930?
    One is CDMA which can run on networks such as Verizon, one is GSM.

AgentBlackBerry is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow AgentBlackBerry On Twitter Add AgentBlackBerry on Facebook Add AgentBlackBerry on Google+
    PIN
    2ADD0724
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Liked
    478 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jerde View Post
    One is CDMA which can run on networks such as Verizon, one is GSM.
    Didn't say which one was which Joe

The 9900 is a GSM device (think AT&T and T-Mobile and the rest of the world pretty much) and the 9930 is a CDMA device (Sprint and Verizon)
    clubbstudios and Joe Jerde like this.
    Click the Like link in the bottom right of a post to say thanks!
    Resource Center ~ Rules and Guidelines ~ Download Center

Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1502 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentBlackBerry View Post
    Didn't say which one was which Joe

The 9900 is a GSM device (think AT&T and T-Mobile and the rest of the world pretty much) and the 9930 is a CDMA device (Sprint and Verizon)
    Thanks sir!

Device
    Bold 9700
    OS
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks guys!

clubbstudios is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie Follow clubbstudios On Twitter
    PIN
    28AFEFE7
    Device
    9900 Bold
    OS
    7.1.0.xxx
    Carrier
    AT&T [Unlocked]
    Liked
    4 times

Thumbs up

biggsd, thanks for the topic!

In times of anger, the keyboard alone kept me loyal to RIM; it's the only thing that's never failed me on a Blackberry device. I cannot use any other device because the BBs have me jaded.

I absolutely loved my original Bold 9000's wide & flat keyboard. I had used a Curve and then a Pearl, so the joy of a full keyboard without annoying gaps between the letters, to me, was phenomenal.

I touch-type on my Blackberry (meaning the same thing as on a computer, that I do not look at the keys because I no longer need to), and my WPM [Words Per Minute, a common typing speed benchmark] decreased significantly when I purchased a 9700 with its condensed keyboard.

My current 9800 doesn't even have a bona fide keyboard, but rather a softer mold insert into the bottom slide.
    It is even smaller than the 9700 keyboard! It feels like texting on an old Motorola Razr (I only went through 6 of those...:no

Anyway, I guess my point is to give it time*, and try to compare your usage.

You are SO lucky that you even have a carrier that offers you a 9900! AT&T is too busy removing NFC from my future device, or something... :crazy:

*Each device took me about a full month (two for the Torch) to adjust... I love my 9800 Torch that so many here in the USA detest!! I hated mine for 5 weeks and now I won't even sell it when I move on... If that can happen with a Torch, imagine what you can get out of a 9900!
    Joe Jerde likes this.
    makes my life peanut-butter-jelly-time :banana:

oceanghost is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    Device
    bold 9900
    OS
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Liked
    12 times

Having had mine for a few hours

it's so much better then the bold 9700. The touch screen you can pinch zoom when on the web like Apple's iphone makes it quicker to read the pages.
    The metal ring around the outside makes the phone feel solid.
    The key board is the best for typing as the 9700 was not too good.
    Don't want or need a super big screen, that's what will save you battery life.
    The speed of the processor really shows over the 9700.
    The phone is thin and wide, this makes it easier to hold and remove from the holster with better control then the 9700.
    Oh yeah, the on board 6gig memory blows me away, plus my 16gig removal card, plenty of storage now.

If not for this phone,(9900).... after looking at the 9780 awhile back, I was thinking about a Android.
    Rim really did it right, I think the 9780 was a band aid for the 9700 when they saw how well os6 ran. My 9700 with the latest leaked software ran great and I didn't feel a need for a 9780. This 9900 is a whole nother animal!...oceanghost
    Joe Jerde likes this.

Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1502 times
    Great points, ClubStudios and OceanGhost!

dkashikar is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Liked
    1 times
    have been using the 9900 for a couple of weeks. Got it almost as soon as it released. Typing is a joy. I had got used to my 9700 but once i used 9900, my fingers just flew and they loved the softer touch.
    Touchscreen is a boon, though it takes time to shift from using the trackpad to using the screen. In some cases the trackpad is actually faster. Its also a pleasure to browse - brilliant colors. and i guess the small screen helps to conserve battery - which is the one big grouse I have. The battery gets drained really fast as I use it - especially on 3g usage.
    Processor speed and memory really shows. I can happily install many apps without bothering about eating up memory.
    However today I just ran into a JVM 517 error and I am just not able to get it out. Am looking at installing some other vendor os. Let me see if i can get it back else it is just bricked. As i browsed the net, i found that 517 usually is a hardware error and no point in reinstalling the os. I guess the launch was a little premature. Maybe its a good idea to wait for RIM to iron out the kinks.
    Joe Jerde likes this.

ghostryder is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow ghostryder On Twitter
    Device
    Torch 9800
    OS
    Carrier
    AT&T Death Star
    Liked
    225 times
    Try this first:

1. If not already installed, download BlackBerry Device Software from here, http://www.blackberryos.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=94 and BlackBerry Desktop Manager from here for the MAC, http://us.blackberry.com/apps-softwa...esktop_mac.jsp or for the PC here, http://us.blackberry.com/apps-softwa...desktop_pc.jsp.

2. Install BlackBerry Desktop Manager and then install the BlackBerry Device Software.

3. Use Application Loader to reload the software on the BlackBerry device.

If that doesn't work, you may have to take it into your carrier for repair, per the following.

KB19442-Hardware related JVM error codes gives details on what the error code is and how to handle it.
    Last edited by ghostryder; 09-06-2011 at 11:49 PM.
    Joe Jerde likes this.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1502 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dkashikar View Post
    have been using the 9900 for a couple of weeks. Got it almost as soon as it released. Typing is a joy. I had got used to my 9700 but once i used 9900, my fingers just flew and they loved the softer touch.
    Touchscreen is a boon, though it takes time to shift from using the trackpad to using the screen. In some cases the trackpad is actually faster. Its also a pleasure to browse - brilliant colors. and i guess the small screen helps to conserve battery - which is the one big grouse I have. The battery gets drained really fast as I use it - especially on 3g usage.
    Processor speed and memory really shows. I can happily install many apps without bothering about eating up memory.
    However today I just ran into a JVM 517 error and I am just not able to get it out. Am looking at installing some other vendor os. Let me see if i can get it back else it is just bricked. As i browsed the net, i found that 517 usually is a hardware error and no point in reinstalling the os. I guess the launch was a little premature. Maybe its a good idea to wait for RIM to iron out the kinks.
    I've heard of WiFi related hardware issues, but nothing with a 517 error yet.

Blackberry Unlocking is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    Blackberry
    Liked
    13 times

Well, i really like the bold 9900, but some people are missing their 9780... maybe it's worth to wait a while for the 9790 Blackberry.
    herbert yu likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast