PIN
    21a16592
    Device
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Key Differences between 9700 and 9780

First and Foremost, I just wanted to make sure I'm on the same page as everyone else on the key differences between the Bold 9700, and Bold 9780

• Slightly different finish on sides (9780 has a darker chrome look)
    • OS 6 comes Standard on 9780
    • 9780 has 512MB onboard as opposed to 9700's 256, mostly to cope with the increased requirements of OS6
    • 9780 has a 5MP camera, 9700 has a 3.2MP camera
    • 9780 supports HSPDA 7.2mbits, 9700 only supports 3.6mbits
    • 9700 is 0.1mm thicker. This is trivial at best.
    • 9780 supports HSUPA 2.0mbits, 9700 does not support HSUPA
    • Battery life on the 9780 is improved slightly, although the battery is the same (1500mAh)
    • 9780 has lower SAR values than the 9700.

If you have anything more, or if any of this is wrong, post here, and I'll do my best to correct it.
    Last edited by IceMage; 11-23-2010 at 05:18 PM.

Joe Jerde is offline Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1505 times
    I believe the key buttons are slightly different in design.

Click the button in the bottom right of a post to say thanks!
    Downloads Center | Rules and Guidelines l BlackBerry 10 Zone

MotoMike is offline Registered Member
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    thinner better faster stronger!

IceMage is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow IceMage On Twitter
    PIN
    21a16592
    Device
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Jerde View Post
    I believe the key buttons are slightly different in design.
    I got my hands on one to see if this is the case or not, and I didn't see any distinguishable differences from my old 9700, and the new 9780, except that the keys on the 9780 didn't have nearly as much wear as my old trusty 9700.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoMike View Post
    thinner better faster stronger!
    Thinner? No. Better? Barely. Faster? Not exactly. The processor in the 9780 is exactly the same 624mhz processor that can be found in the 9700. The key difference in speed is due to the combination of OS6, and the 512MB ram. Both have the same 256MB ROM. OS6 isn't really much faster to me, but it "seems" faster as everything is more "fluid" in motion. I've ran OS6 on the 9700, and it feels just as fast as OS6 on the 9780. Both phones are perfectly capable of handling it. Stronger? No.
    Last edited by IceMage; 12-01-2010 at 01:15 PM.

PIN
    21a16592
    Device
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Some reports are surfacing that the Blackberry 9780 has a brighter screen and backlight. Initial investigation suggests that this has less to do with the model, and more to do with both Age, and production location. It appears that the plants in Mexico, and Canada are using two different kinds of LED backlights for both the 9700 and 9780. Depending on where your Blackberry was manufactured, the LED backlighting may differ slightly.

Joe Jerde is offline Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1505 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IceMage View Post
    I got my hands on one to see if this is the case or not, and I didn't see any distinguishable differences from my old 9700, and the new 9780, except that the keys on the 9780 didn't have nearly as much wear as my old trusty 9700.

Thinner? No. Better? Barely. Faster? Not exactly. The processor in the 9780 is exactly the same 624mhz processor that can be found in the 9700. The key difference in speed is due to the combination of OS6, and the 512MB ram. Both have the same 256MB ROM. OS6 isn't really much faster to me, but it "seems" faster as everything is more "fluid" in motion. I've ran OS6 on the 9700, and it feels just as fast as OS6 on the 9780. Both phones are perfectly capable of handling it. Stronger? No.

So apart from that, the camera has gone from a 3mp to a 5mp.

Click the button in the bottom right of a post to say thanks!
    Downloads Center | Rules and Guidelines l BlackBerry 10 Zone

Hi Tek is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow Hi Tek On Twitter
    PIN
    23A13EB4
    Device
    Bold 9780
    OS
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IceMage View Post

Umm ... the processor in the 9780 is the same processor used in the Blackberry Torch .. If it was the same as the one int he 9700 then why does the 9700 not run OS 6 as natural and fluent as the 9780? I'v been doing a lot of research I just did an upgrade and my 9780 is being shipped (can't f_ckin wait ZOMG :laugh2 I don't see how you can even compare the performance of a OS not ment for a berry to an OS specially made for another berry (9780) .. I'll leave my thoughts when it ships either way for anyone wondering in the future.

PIN
    21a16592
    Device
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi Tek View Post
    ... If it was the same as the one int he 9700 then why does the 9700 not run OS 6 as natural and fluent as the 9780?...
    It's likely due to the fact that the 9700 has a much more limited amount of available RAM than the 9780. The other place where you'll notice that there is less memory is when you try to load larger web pages. Some pages simply won't load on the 9700, where they would on the 9780 because of the extra memory available.

Hi Tek is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow Hi Tek On Twitter
    PIN
    23A13EB4
    Device
    Bold 9780
    OS
    Liked
    3 times
    I cannot express how much I love this phone lol. It's exactly what I expected it to be from using OS6 on 9700. But to have it running so smoothly still feels like i'm new to the phone/OS.

Ill write my personal review at some point over the weekend.

the only thing i'm not to happy about is BuddyGuard & BerryBuzz not working to to the keys not validating because I switched devices..

Sami Addam is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow Sami Addam On Twitter
    PIN
    Device
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    True u guys But still to come ...

but OS5 is better

vincentvictor Guest
    Both phones are almost similar in their external and internal hardware feature and in choice of colour except for few upgrades in 9780 such as additional 256MB RAM & 5.0 MP camera.

Camera
    Bold 9780: 5.0MP, 2x digital zoom, autofocus with flash and video recording at resolution 176 x 144 pixels (QCIF), 352 x 480 pixels.
    Bold 9700: 3.2MP, 2x digital zoom, autofocus with flash and video recording
    Memory
    Bold 9800: 512MB RAM + 2GB media card (included), expandable with microSD cards
    Bold 9700: 256MB RAM + 2GB media card (included), expandable with microSD cards
    9780 has additional 256MB memory, makes no big difference
    GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
    Both have in built GPS and Wi-Fi 802.11b/g and support Bluetooth v2.1
    Colour
    Both come in Black or White

Matrix Leader Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sami Addam View Post
    True u guys But still to come ...

but OS5 is better
    OS 5 was better. Now OS 6 has matured and is actually more stable and has good battery life..

Added to that, the nice gui it has, the lovely webkit browser, universal search, I would never imagine going back to OS 5

sabisgeek is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Device
    OS
    Carrier
    Du
    Liked
    91 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Matrix Leader View Post
    OS 5 was better. Now OS 6 has matured and is actually more stable and has good battery life..

Added to that, the nice gui it has, the lovely webkit browser, universal search, I would never imagine going back to OS 5
    Yet, some people are stuck with it, like me and some other people on the forum....

Matrix Leader Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sabisgeek View Post
    Yet, some people are stuck with it, like me and some other people on the forum....
    May I ask why you say you are stuck with it?

If it is because you have a 256 MB device, then I'm sure you know you can shrink the OS to get lots of free memory.

OS 6 comes with 6 introductory videos to show its features which are hidden , and you cannot delete them. I was able to see them using Filescout, but wasn't able to delete them.

So thanks to BB Boss and BBH Tool (Latest versions) you have the ability to shrink the videos, and that means the built in hidden videos which are useless and nooone can even see them again. You know like the start up video you see the first time you install OS 6. Shrinking the videos alone frees up 23 MB!! You can also shrink the ringtones and actually copy them to the media card too, I have them all in an mp3 format should you wish to do that lemme know.

I'd be more than happy to help you iron out the reasons which are preventing you from upgrading.. If it was something else, then I dont know...

PS: Feel free to add me on BBM, my pin is: 23789559

Device
    OS
    Carrier
    Du
    Liked
    91 times
    May I ask why you say you are stuck with it?

If it is because you have a 256 MB device, then I'm sure you know you can shrink the OS to get lots of free memory.

OS 6 comes with 6 introductory videos to show its features which are hidden , and you cannot delete them. I was able to see them using Filescout, but wasn't able to delete them.

So thanks to BB Boss and BBH Tool (Latest versions) you have the ability to shrink the videos, and that means the built in hidden videos which are useless and nooone can even see them again. You know like the start up video you see the first time you install OS 6. Shrinking the videos alone frees up 23 MB!! You can also shrink the ringtones and actually copy them to the media card too, I have them all in an mp3 format should you wish to do that lemme know.

I'd be more than happy to help you iron out the reasons which are preventing you from upgrading.. If it was something else, then I dont know...

PS: Feel free to add me on BBM, my pin is: 23789559
    Thanks
    I know all this, don't worry, I'm not new to the world of BlackBerry (see the moderator sign? )
    I'm stuck with it because I have the old curve, 8520. I posted in this thread because moderators are supposed to check every thread in case of something bad, and when I saw your post, I couldn't resist posting

Thanks for all the help, but I'm 150% sure I won't be getting OS6 on my curvey.
    Ps: I would add you on BBM, if I had BBM
    Last edited by sabisgeek; 06-18-2011 at 06:18 AM.

Matrix Leader Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sabisgeek View Post
    Thanks
    I know all this, don't worry, I'm not new to the world of BlackBerry (see the moderator sign? )
    I'm stuck with it because I have the old curve, 8520. I posted in this thread because moderators are supposed to check every thread in case of something bad, and when I saw your post, I couldn't resist posting

Thanks for all the help, but I'm 150% sure I won't be getting OS6 on my curvey.
    Ps: I would add you on BBM, if I had BBM
    Ah ok, the Curve 8520 was the first BB I got 2 years back, that's when I fell in love with the BB World, I was a total n00b back then..
    That said, to me, one of the most reasons I stick to BB is BBM, but hey, whatever floats your boat

Device
    OS
    Carrier
    Du
    Liked
    91 times
    Ah ok, the Curve 8520 was the first BB I got 2 years back, that's when I fell in love with the BB World, I was a total n00b back then..
    That said, to me, one of the most reasons I stick to BB is BBM, but hey, whatever floats your boat
    That's why I'm thinking of either getting BBM or an iPhone
    Same here, when I started with my BlackBerry I didn't know anything about it...then I found BBOS!

Matrix Leader Guest
    If I were you, the 9900 would be a mind blowing upgrade soon

Bigger screen, bigger keypad, lots of onboard device memory, OS 7, HD recording, 5 MP camera!

Device
    OS
    Carrier
    Du
    Liked
    91 times
    If I were you, the 9900 would be a mind blowing upgrade soon

Bigger screen, bigger keypad, lots of onboard device memory, OS 7, HD recording, 5 MP camera!
    It's either that, the Curve Touch, or the iPhone. Not sure which one yet