Onyx release party sometime in October?
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Onyx release party sometime in October?

  1. #1
    alphatectz's Avatar
    alphatectz is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow alphatectz On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Queens, New York
    PIN
    doesn't hurt to ask...
    Device
    9000 (Bold)
    OS
    v4.6
    Posts
    71
    Liked
    0 times

    Onyx release party sometime in October?

    So I'm at the AT&T device service store getting my fiancée blackberry pearl replaced. The rep that was helping me told me that the onyx will be out by mid November. Hopefully he's right.
    Man I can't wait.


    apples & berrys


  2. #2
    ausch is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    East Of MI
    PIN
    Just Ask
    Device
    9XXX
    OS
    x.x.x.xxx
    Posts
    535
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

    If MP hasn't changed (don't know at the moment) that sounds like the right time frame. And if MP has changed you'll see it 1Q 2010.

  3. #3
    GJW
    GJW is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    PIN
    24009D40
    Device
    9700
    OS
    5.0.442
    Posts
    18
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry for asking a stupid question, but what's "MP"?

    Also, given the Magnum and Onyx seem to have always been linked in terms of release dates, does anyone know what carriers (I mostly care about U.S. T-Mobile) will be bringing out the Magnum? Will it really be a conventional BB form factor plus a touch screen?

  4. #4
    sunkast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GJW View Post
    Sorry for asking a stupid question, but what's "MP"?

    Also, given the Magnum and Onyx seem to have always been linked in terms of release dates, does anyone know what carriers (I mostly care about U.S. T-Mobile) will be bringing out the Magnum? Will it really be a conventional BB form factor plus a touch screen?
    I think MP stands for manufacturing process, or something of the sort.

  5. #5
    ausch is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    East Of MI
    PIN
    Just Ask
    Device
    9XXX
    OS
    x.x.x.xxx
    Posts
    535
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GJW View Post
    Sorry for asking a stupid question, but what's "MP"?

    Also, given the Magnum and Onyx seem to have always been linked in terms of release dates, does anyone know what carriers (I mostly care about U.S. T-Mobile) will be bringing out the Magnum? Will it really be a conventional BB form factor plus a touch screen?
    Mass Production.

    Onyx might be a late 2009 AT&T device or early 2010 device. While Magnum is hard to tell, but AT&T. The Magnum be like the Bold, same keyboard, size, touchscreen, and no trackball.

  6. #6
    ealvnv's Avatar
    ealvnv is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow ealvnv On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Saturn
    PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Posts
    2,405
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GJW View Post
    Sorry for asking a stupid question, but what's "MP"?

    Also, given the Magnum and Onyx seem to have always been linked in terms of release dates, does anyone know what carriers (I mostly care about U.S. T-Mobile) will be bringing out the Magnum? Will it really be a conventional BB form factor plus a touch screen?
    Magnum and Onyx are both to be for gsm carriers, supposedly att in the US and for Tmobile it will be the Driftwood which is an adapted version of the Magnum for tmobile with 3g support
    Last edited by ealvnv; 07-25-2009 at 09:34 PM.
    BlackBerry by Choice!

  7. #7
    GJW
    GJW is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    PIN
    24009D40
    Device
    9700
    OS
    5.0.442
    Posts
    18
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks...that's what I expected in terms of Magnum...although interestingly, pdadb.net lists the Magnum as having UMA - which would lead one to believe it would be available on t-mobile. But then again, who's to say that the info they have is anywhere close to 100% accurate

  8. #8
    ealvnv's Avatar
    ealvnv is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow ealvnv On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Saturn
    PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Posts
    2,405
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GJW View Post
    Thanks...that's what I expected in terms of Magnum...although interestingly, pdadb.net lists the Magnum as having UMA - which would lead one to believe it would be available on t-mobile. But then again, who's to say that the info they have is anywhere close to 100% accurate
    you never know whats gonna happen till the release date, and sorry yeah thats true driftwod is the adaptation of the magnum for tmobil, again sorry my bad...
    BlackBerry by Choice!

  9. #9
    GJW
    GJW is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    PIN
    24009D40
    Device
    9700
    OS
    5.0.442
    Posts
    18
    Liked
    0 times
    Are you sure about Driftwood being the tmo adaption of Magnum? That would mean that tmo is getting (allegedly) a qwerty keyboard with full touchscreen too? Most people have been saying the Driftwood is the Onyx adaption. But if you're correct, that's both good news and bad news...good news as I believe touch would be a better interface than either a trackball or trackpad, but bad in that I've now seen several posts indicating the magnum was abandoned (or at least re-planned) due to a hardware re-think and now the newer one (Dakota?) isn't due out even for field testing until some time 1H10.

    Here I am in NYC, the very first 3G market tmo launched over a year ago, and still no concrete prospect for a 3G BB any time soon! :-(

  10. #10
    ausch is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    East Of MI
    PIN
    Just Ask
    Device
    9XXX
    OS
    x.x.x.xxx
    Posts
    535
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GJW View Post
    Are you sure about Driftwood being the tmo adaption of Magnum? That would mean that tmo is getting (allegedly) a qwerty keyboard with full touchscreen too? Most people have been saying the Driftwood is the Onyx adaption. But if you're correct, that's both good news and bad news...good news as I believe touch would be a better interface than either a trackball or trackpad, but bad in that I've now seen several posts indicating the magnum was abandoned (or at least re-planned) due to a hardware re-think and now the newer one (Dakota?) isn't due out even for field testing until some time 1H10.

    Here I am in NYC, the very first 3G market tmo launched over a year ago, and still no concrete prospect for a 3G BB any time soon! :-(
    Yes, E is correct. The Driftwood is the TMo Magnum(Dakota). Not the Onyx. And it's a QWERTY and half touch device. (Could have changed, don't know how recent this version is) No TB or TP, physical menu keys, SurePress. And you won't see it till at least 2010.
    Last edited by ausch; 07-26-2009 at 07:37 PM.

  11. #11
    alphatectz's Avatar
    alphatectz is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow alphatectz On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Queens, New York
    PIN
    doesn't hurt to ask...
    Device
    9000 (Bold)
    OS
    v4.6
    Posts
    71
    Liked
    0 times
    Well I haven't been keeping uP with any forums but I notice that the "onxy" should be released in late 09 for AT&T and for tmo im not sure when there driftwood would be released. But since there has been talk about the magnum aka Dakota I doubt that it would be release right after the onxy. But here's a good question for you guy ls and gals on the forums. Is the "onxy" the successor o the 9000 or the curve, I've been hearing that it's the succesoor to the curve and that the Dakota will be the next 9000. I hope the onxy is the next bold. The magnum/Dakota should just ne he nex big thing.
    apples & berrys

  12. #12
    ausch is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    East Of MI
    PIN
    Just Ask
    Device
    9XXX
    OS
    x.x.x.xxx
    Posts
    535
    Liked
    0 times
    The Onyx is not the replacement to the 9000. It's simply an add on to the Bold line. Dakota I'm not too sure, but I'm pretty sure it'll be another add on, it should be the same size roughly.

  13. #13
    cheech92007 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow cheech92007 On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    PIN
    NEVER!!!
    Device
    Storm
    OS
    5.0+
    Posts
    23
    Liked
    0 times
    I really hope it comes out soon! Im so excited for it!

  14. #14
    alphatectz's Avatar
    alphatectz is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow alphatectz On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Queens, New York
    PIN
    doesn't hurt to ask...
    Device
    9000 (Bold)
    OS
    v4.6
    Posts
    71
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ausch View Post
    The Onyx is not the replacement to the 9000. It's simply an add on to the Bold line. Dakota I'm not too sure, but I'm pretty sure it'll be another add on, it should be the same size roughly.
    Well what will be the sucessor to the bold, and I like the size if the bold. It's prefect for my hands.
    apples & berrys

  15. #15
    GJW
    GJW is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    PIN
    24009D40
    Device
    9700
    OS
    5.0.442
    Posts
    18
    Liked
    0 times
    I spoke with t-mobile retentions a few days ago...they told me U.S. T-mobile is absolutely, positively getting a "bold like" 3G blackberry, currently scheduled for launch in November (but she also said beware the fact that dates are never solid until the day).

    It will have 3G, wi-fi (including UMA), bluetooth, 3.2meg camera, and DEFINITELY a touchpad. She wasn't sure about screen resolution but all indications from here and elsewhere point to 480x360. No mention of touch screen.

    Hopefully she's right...although it certainly feels like November is a long time from now :-(
    Last edited by GJW; 07-30-2009 at 07:06 PM.

  16. #16
    sunkast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GJW View Post
    I spoke with t-mobile retentions a few days ago...they told me U.S. T-mobile is absolutely, positively getting a "bold like" 3G blackberry, currently scheduled for launch in November (but she also said beware the fact that dates are never solid until the day).

    It will have 3G, wi-fi (including UMA), bluetooth, DEFINITELY touchpad. She wasn't sure about screen resolution but all indications from here and elsewhere point to 480x360. No mention of touch screen.

    Hopefully she's right...although it certainly feels like November is a long time from now :-(
    No mention of GPS? I want 3G, wifi, UMA, and GPS.

  17. #17
    GJW
    GJW is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    PIN
    24009D40
    Device
    9700
    OS
    5.0.442
    Posts
    18
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't think she gave me the exhaustive list - so let's hope that all the rumored specs are true and GPS is included!

  18. #18
    sunkast Guest
    With so many apps having GPS related features, it is really unfair to have a device that doesn't have GPS.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •