Thread: Advice: Downgrading from OS6 to OS5

macnuel is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    OS
    OS 7
    Liked
    0 times

Advice: Downgrading from OS6 to OS5

I use a Blackberry 9700. Since October last year, I have upgraded to using OS6 after much contemplation and all.

For a couple of months, it worked fine but since December, I've been experiencing nothing short of a battery drain at the expense of the device's performance. Recently, the device has been "dragging" and that made me conclude that I might need to downgrade afterall.

The challenge now is that, I don't want to use OS5. I don't like theme customizations as they also affect device performance at times. So help me, is it possible for me to downgrade to a lower OS6 software and not have these challenges? If not, would you advice point blank that I downgrade to OS5?

I currently use .668

Harmeling68 is offline Forum Moderator Follow Harmeling68 On Twitter Add Harmeling68 on Facebook Add Harmeling68 on Google+ Add Harmeling68 on Linkedin
    PIN
    3343247B
    Device
    Black Q10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    142 times
    I would advise simply reloading the os. There could be other factors that create your described issue and a good os reinstall might be just what you need. Maybe even a good os wipe and then a reinstall if you are comfortable with that. Remember too: check your apps ( especially ones that you have recently installed), check and adjust the refresh settings on installed apps, adjust screen brightness and make sure nothing is running in the background (like your browser).

Please post back with what you find!

One more thing: Check your battery itself! I recently had an issue, took out my battery and it was swollen and not working properly. I got a new one and the difference was amazing!
    BB then, now, forever!

macnuel is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    OS
    OS 7
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks Harmeling.
    Since I posted, I actually have done a downgrade to OS5 .862 and it seemed to have just worsened the whole issue. Before now, the battery drains but doesn't shut down on 1%, that's when it was on OS6 .668. But now that I've downgraded, it drains then shuts down almost immediately and that has resulted in not being able to use my device for a while now.

I will take to your advice and do a wipe. Then load OS6 back on to it. Presently, I'm running with a new battery. I've checked with other batteries of friend's devices but it's the same. Seems it's a problem with my device but I don't think any physical harm has come to it to warrant such problems. If any harm, probably a software harm, not certain 100% though.

I'll let you know if anything happens afterwards.

Thanks for your response.

Harmeling68 is offline Forum Moderator Follow Harmeling68 On Twitter Add Harmeling68 on Facebook Add Harmeling68 on Google+ Add Harmeling68 on Linkedin
    PIN
    3343247B
    Device
    Black Q10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    142 times
    Please keep us posted. I know it's a very frustrating problem and I'd love to see it resolved.
    BB then, now, forever!