x.x.x.xxx
    Liked
    0 times

Onyx Hands On Review

Attention!!
    The OS it's running right now has some problems with not wanting to load
    when there is a SIM card inserted.

First Thoughts

Wow! Those were my first thoughts. The moment I saw this phone in my hand, it felt amazing. Its not too big, not too small. It's the perfect size for all your people who want the Bolds power, but the 8900s and 9630s size. The devices design is super slick and clean. It flows together very well.

Design

The design and style of this device is just truly amazing. Research In Motion knocked it out of the park on this device. It flows together really nice, there's some areas where I would have did it different, but I'll leave my thoughts for that specific area. Anyway, even under the battery cover it's simple and clean. You just pop the battery out, you just have the SIM card slot there, and then the micro SDcard slot is right above the battery for easy access.

Keypad

It is and isn't the best. It's basically smaller version of the Bold keyboard, but with a
    glossy finish. It feels like it's a little cramped together, and when your typing, it feels like your making a lot of mistakes by pressing multiple keys, but your really not. If you have big hands or fingers, this might be a keyboard you won't like to type on all the time. It also almost dead even with the trackball and four main buttons at the bottom of the screen, which doesn't feel the best.

Trackball

Rolls very smooth, but the problem with it is that it's very small and it's so deep into the device. When you scroll up your thumb is basically rubbing against the screen as well. Which I think is very annoying. My honest opinion I believe that a trackpad will create better scolling ability, which there has been reports that a trackpad may be in the final product.

Screen

The display on this device is very very nice and crisp. Especially since the device itself is not that big. It has to be one of the best BlackBerry displays out on the crispness and clearness aspect. The colors just pop out, the default background on the Onyx is so clean and crisp it's amazing.

BlackBerry Messenger

The BlackBerry Messenger on this device is different than the others. It's a little strange at first glance in my honest opinion. The layout itself is still like the usual BlackBerry Messenger. Just a little different. There's a new feature as well, you will be available to take a contact and conversation and simply send an icon to the home screen. This is a good idea for people who have multiple contacts and multiple conversations, you can simply pick and choose which one you would like to see on the home screen.

OS

In this OS(V0.9), to me it's pretty snappy(for being built on April Fools Day), yet there are some weak points. For example as I stated in the beginning it won't reboot fully when a SIM card is inserted, same thing when it is connect via computer USB. It'll go in to it's rebooting moods. The camera is also has a lag after a picture is taken. Other than that I think the OS is a fine OS, if you don't want to be able to do anything. There have been reports on what OS this device is actually running, it will either be 5.0.1.X, which I think will eventually be moved up to a 5.1.X.X build.

Final Thoughts

The Onyx is gonna be the new Bold when it comes out. The speed of this device is pretty fast. The boot up was below 30 seconds I believe. I heard reports of a faster boot up, but it could just be this individual OS build. The form factor and the design of this device, is just unbelievable. I think if you get your hands on this device you wouldn't want to set it down. Another thing I tried to cover, but was unsuccessful is the device memory. I'm not sure if it's just because it's so early or what, but it didn't have it listed. After boot up I got about 143MBs file free, which I think is pretty good.

PS: Will update with more pictures later.
    Last edited by Bryan; 06-12-2009 at 10:31 PM.

Stiefler is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard Follow Stiefler On Twitter
    Device
    Moto Droid/HTC Eris
    OS
    2.0.1/2.1
    Liked
    3 times
    Nice review Ausch, cant wait to see some more pictures! :fing02:

Bryan is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein Follow Bryan On Twitter
    Liked
    7 times
    Nice review Ausch although I was a little disappointed I didn't have one to follow along with

ausch is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    PIN
    Just Ask
    Device
    9XXX
    OS
    x.x.x.xxx
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Nice review Ausch although I was a little disappointed I didn't have one to follow along with
    Aha, I apologize. But I was a little dissapointed cause I couldn't put my SIM in and do test calls or anything. But I guess that what we get for having a build that was made on April Fools Day (seriously it was).

Quote Originally Posted by Stiefler07 View Post
    Nice review Ausch, cant wait to see some more pictures! :fing02:
    Uploading as we speak!