How to make OS6 on the 9700 faster?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make OS6 on the 9700 faster?

swimmer_ryry is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Bold 9700
    OS
    os6
    Liked
    2 times

Thumbs down How to make OS6 on the 9700 faster?

I have installed the newest version of OS6 for my BB 9700. But it is still so slow. I barely have any apps just to keep the memory up. Is there some way of increasing the memory? Would it help if i got a bigger SD card?

Please help! Or else its back to OS5 for me!

ice2921 is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow ice2921 On Twitter
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Liked
    752 times
    Have you tried our tutorial?We have a great tutorial for upgrading your OS here:

http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/b...es-videos.html

Backup your phone and try again maybe something went wrong the first time. I know its happened to me a few times.

Youssef is offline Forum Moderator Follow Youssef On Twitter Add Youssef on Facebook Add Youssef on Google+ Add Youssef on Linkedin
    Device
    Z10-1
    OS
    Carrier
    Etisalat
    Liked
    97 times
    Which build have you installed ? & Have you shrunk it ?

Joe Jerde is offline Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1502 times
    You can always try a few battery pulls in succession, before you try other options. Sometimes this jolts the OS enough to get things working smoother.

Click the button in the bottom right of a post to say thanks!
    Downloads Center | Rules and Guidelines l BlackBerry 10 Zone

swimmer_ryry is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Bold 9700
    OS
    os6
    Liked
    2 times
    I have the .534 build from this site. shrunk??? how the heck do u do that? sounds promising!!

ice2921 is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow ice2921 On Twitter
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Liked
    752 times
    Have you been able to try some of the solutions suggested yet?

Youssef is offline Forum Moderator Follow Youssef On Twitter Add Youssef on Facebook Add Youssef on Google+ Add Youssef on Linkedin
    Device
    Z10-1
    OS
    Carrier
    Etisalat
    Liked
    97 times
    - v534 is one of the best versions so far.
    - Shrinking OS : The OS can be shrunk by deleting unwanted apps and files such as : languages packs , apps that belong to specific carriers..etc which will make your OS much faster and have a plenty of free memory.
    You can use BB Boss tool to shrink any OS , Download it here
    - Here are the steps for shrinking OS :
    1)After installing BB Boss , run it.
    2)Select what options&files you want to remove.(I Suggest removing languages that aren't used & Carrier themes (keep one theme) + What you feel that you aren't using)
    3)Click Modify on Disk.
    Now you shrunk the OS and you can see the difference before and after shrinking at the bottom of BB Boss windows.
    * I Hope this would help you.
    Last edited by Youssef; 04-24-2011 at 01:24 PM.
    Joe Jerde and jaysdaiz like this.

Joe Jerde is offline Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1502 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganayni94 View Post
    - v534 is one of the best versions so far.
    - Shrinking OS : The OS can be shrunk by deleting unwanted apps and files such as : languages packs , apps that belong to specific carriers..etc which will make your OS much faster and have a plenty of free memory.
    You can use BB Boss tool to shrink any OS , Download it here
    - Here are the steps for shrinking OS :
    1)After installing BB Boss , run it.
    2)Select what options&files you want to remove.(I Suggest removing languages that aren't used & Carrier themes + What you feel that you aren't using)
    3)Click Modify on Disk.
    Now you shrunk the OS and you can see the difference before and after shrinking at the bottom of BB Boss windows.
    * I Hope this would help you.
    One thing to add, make sure that you don't remove the default theme of your phone, if there are multiple to choose from, leave at least one.
    Youssef likes this.

Device
    Z10-1
    OS
    Carrier
    Etisalat
    Liked
    97 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jerde View Post
    One thing to add, make sure that you don't remove the default theme of your phone, if there are multiple to choose from, leave at least one.
    Thanks Joe I forgot that but we complete eachothers

alanjolin is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    236b7e39
    Device
    Bold 9780
    OS
    6. 534. beta
    Carrier
    vodafone UK
    Liked
    41 times
    I've shrunk modifyed Operating systems for mostly geeky reasons, manually and latley using BBSAK. Recently I treid BB Boss and yes it does work, if you shrink your OS I recommend downloading ringtones to your media card this will free up space. I shrunk 534 on my 9780 to 137MB that's over 50MB extra you may find though that the speed of your device doesn't increase by any noticable amount. A good way to speed up your browser is to disable javascript. That makes a difference and your device hardly uses it, when you need it just reselect it

If you want a lighter strppper try this. Google maxmem its a free little app that removes the unwanted stuff in your operating system, and does free up memory follow the instructions and reboot when you have completed all its selections (it will ask everytime you complete a section) then 3 battery pulls to settle it down and your done! Also maxmem will not touch any default themes etc you will gain typically 15/20MB and it won't do any real changes that can effect your devices performance.

Alan
    Last edited by alanjolin; 04-25-2011 at 01:56 PM.
    Joe Jerde and Youssef like this.

Device
    Z10-1
    OS
    Carrier
    Etisalat
    Liked
    97 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjolin View Post
    I've shrunk modifyed Operating systems for mostly geeky reasons, manually and latley using BBSAK. Recently I treid BB Boss and yes it does work, if you shrink your OS I recommend downloading ringtones to your media card this will free up space. I shrunk 534 on my 9780 to 137MB that's over 50MB extra you may find though that the speed of your device doesn't increase by any noticable amount. A good way to speed up your browser is to disable javascript. That makes a difference and your device hardly uses it, when you need it just reselect it

If you want a lighter strppper try this. Google maxmem its a free little app that removes the unwanted stuff in your operating system, and does free up memory follow the instructions and reboot when you have completed all its selections (it will ask everytime you complete a section) then 3 battery pulls to settle it down and your done! Also maxmem will not touch any default themes etc you will gain typically 15/20MB and it won't do any real changes that can effect your devices performance.

Alan
    Really I Appreciate your reply ! I myself I'll Try Google Maxmem
    Last edited by Youssef; 04-25-2011 at 05:03 PM.

PIN
    236b7e39
    Device
    Bold 9780
    OS
    6. 534. beta
    Carrier
    vodafone UK
    Liked
    41 times
    In that case google berrycodermaxmem then download maxmem OTA directly to your device. Select the app, give it trusted status if it asks, then select each option in turn. When each option is finished, it will ask if you wish to reboot now or later, select later. Do this each time until you finish selecting the options, then give 3 battery pulls. When you do the battery pull, let your device boot up fully each time then battery pull again. When you have done that it should be all settled in, and you'll find an increase in application memory.

Alan
    Youssef and spyke like this.

bornsuspect is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    PIN
    23ad08f
    Device
    blackberry bold 9700
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Hope all is well on your guyz end, i need a little tutorial on how to shrink the os, please assist, as mentioned above i barely have apps, abt 2 songs on my 2gb sd card, everytime i go online it gives me an error "not enough memory" or something of that said. please assist.

Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1502 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsuspect View Post
    Hope all is well on your guyz end, i need a little tutorial on how to shrink the os, please assist, as mentioned above i barely have apps, abt 2 songs on my 2gb sd card, everytime i go online it gives me an error "not enough memory" or something of that said. please assist.
    When you say 'go online' do you mean when you reboot your device?

PIN
    236b7e39
    Device
    Bold 9780
    OS
    6. 534. beta
    Carrier
    vodafone UK
    Liked
    41 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsuspect View Post
    The amount of data stored on your SD card, would not affect your device going online. Could you check clarify these points.

How much Application memory have you got Free.

Clear up any old/read Emails texts, and although its a basic thing clean up your browser memory, including pushed content and cookies.

Ensure any photos/music etc are indeed stored on your SD card.

The 9700 can run OS6, but OS6 has more data used to run it than OS5, so problems like this can occur. Ideally you would benefit from a simple app maxmem which you download directly with your devices Browser. Follow the instructions and you should free up around 15/20MB extra memory. The instructions can be found on viarious posts in this forum. Finally, first thing I would do after cleaning up old emails, memory is give your device a Battery pull.
    That can give you back some memory, and it will restart the devices OS clean.

Alan
    Are you running facebook or similiar applications
    Joe Jerde likes this.

deyadama is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow deyadama On Twitter Add deyadama on Google+
    Carrier
    Samsung
    Liked
    21 times
    I want to say something about it to lighten your operating system is to install only what you really need, so help you lighten the OS, another is, if you update your BB choose when you are going to drop, as the friend, just put the language you're using, and what applications you do not see is useful not ticked. You'll see that it improves a lot. Greetings
    Youssef and Joe Jerde like this.

csussen is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    40 times
    Also always install the official released OS if performance is a key value to you.
    --------->The pursuit of happiness leads to the road of success and fulfillment <---------

tda
    tda is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    10 times

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by csussen View Post
    Also always install the official released OS if performance is a key value to you.
    .. the cods of a leak and official are the same and that is a fact... the only difference is the UMTS file and perhaps the vendor.xml... to boost performance is to have more free space hence shrink the OS as much as possible.. besides the other things that should be thrown away, delete the backgrounds, video, music and ringtone (move it to the Media Card).. that's pretty much how i still have 115 MB with more than18 apps, over 200 BBM contacts, 600++ contacts and around 250-300 messages on 6.0.0.576 (9700)...
    Joe Jerde likes this.

Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1502 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tda View Post
    .. the cods of a leak and official are the same and that is a fact... the only difference is the UMTS file and perhaps the vendor.xml... to boost performance is to have more free space hence shrink the OS as much as possible.. besides the other things that should be thrown away, delete the backgrounds, video, music and ringtone (move it to the Media Card).. that's pretty much how i still have 115 MB with more than18 apps, over 200 BBM contacts, 600++ contacts and around 250-300 messages on 6.0.0.576 (9700)...
    Like a well oiled machine.
    tda likes this.

tda
    tda is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jerde View Post
    Like a well oiled machine.
    .. well oiled machine... nice expression !! my 9700 had been through lots of rough times.. lol.. experiments.. i'm far from is called an expert but at least i get to know the limitations of the 9700.. one thing for sure, if we don't experiment, we would never know the answers to the 'how to' of the device... no pain no gain they say... lol..
    Joe Jerde likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast