Since wy wife stuck her sim in my phone I have been unable to make or receive calls

Thread: Since wy wife stuck her sim in my phone I have been unable to make or receive calls

Loupou22 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Bold 9700
    Liked
    0 times

Since wy wife stuck her sim in my phone I have been unable to make or receive calls

Hi,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, but I have a problem that I require help with and my friend suggested your web site. Oh and after reading the title of my question it now appears as though I am stuck in an early carry on movie

The problem is that I have a Blackberry Bold 9700 (and before anyone says that doesn't sound like a problem, I've heard that one already that has developed a mind of its own & I cannot correct it.

My blackberry only has an 02 pay as you go sim in it, with data tagged onto the pay as you go basics, but it has worked fine for ages now and I like it that way - never had to connect it to my computer (although now I have tried to update OS and Desktop Software to no avail).

All went wrong when my partner, who also has a blackberry bold 9700, was to be without her phone for a few days and chose to steal mine and stick her sim in my phone!!! (this was not a good idea, as she has a work blackberry with IT settings etc... - but who can stop a woman when they have made up their mind!) When I got the phone back and stuck my sim back into it, it found 02 fine and says it is on it, the top right has 3G and a signal and the top centre has 02-UK and my Wi-Fi name next to it also. But no matter what I do, I cannot make or receive calls I have done the HRT and tried to register now and it says it has sent it, but nothing happens.

02, of course, do not have anything to say, but then that is not unexpected as the phone is mine, not theirs and I am not on contract, so I cannot blame them.

So - after that long winded explanation - can anyone offer any advice for getting my BB Bold 9700 back into my grubby mits in working order?

Any help appreciated

regards

loupou22

Please move if in wrong forum - thankyou (newbie)

Hodges is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    312939D8
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    4 times
    First off welcome to BBOS!!! You will love the atmosphere here.. Your friend brought you to the right place . In any event, I have a couple of suggestions I would like for you too try. One dial ##000000 and press send.. You will get the activation menu. Make sure the mobile directory number is in fact yours. If it is not change it and your device should reboot after the save.. If that isn't it.. Go to options > mobile network > and make sure the network technology is GSM (I believe O2 is gsm).. Give those a shot and let us know what happens.. I can help you update your software as well if that is something you would like to do after you get your device working again..
    Posted via mobile device

BBSuperAbuser is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow BBSuperAbuser On Twitter Add BBSuperAbuser on Facebook Visit BBSuperAbuser's Youtube Channel
    PIN
    2AC197
    Device
    Zed10, PlayBook
    OS
    Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Liked
    79 times
    Hodges, if it was used with a sim that is tied to a BES, could an IT policy be to blame?

Device
    Bold 9700
    Liked
    0 times

Hi - thanks for the reply

Hi, thanks for the reply, it's been sending me a bit nuts, as I swapped out the sim to another phone and it works fine. Needless to say the atmosphere in our house is a little grim at the moment

Anyway, I assume you mean go to the call screen and key in ##000000 and then press the green dial/send button - is that right, or key it in from the front screen? I did it from the call screen and it just said call failed. But as a noob I am no doubt doing it wrong

Give me a load of computer bits and I can build you a pc, give me a phone and I can make it look like a pretty paper weight for you it seems :duh:

I went to the other options screen you described and it has the following for UK network.

Data Services: ON
    While Roaming: PROMPT
    Mobile Network: 02 UK
    Network Selection Mode: AUTOMATIC
    Network Mode: 3G & 2G

That is all that is listed in that screen

It's a shame, as the phone cost me quite some money to get and I had really come to love it - which is a surprise with me when it comes to phones, as I normally hate the things.

Any help, even if it doesn't work, as I have come to think that my wife has killed it, is appreciated.

regards

loupou22

BBSuperAbuser is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow BBSuperAbuser On Twitter Add BBSuperAbuser on Facebook Visit BBSuperAbuser's Youtube Channel
    PIN
    2AC197
    Device
    Zed10, PlayBook
    OS
    Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Liked
    79 times
    I believe you may need to remove the IT policy if we cannot get it reactivated for O2. Since your wife used it with her work sim, an IT policy may have been pushed to your device.

To remove the IT policy follow these directions with the specified modifications:

The Basic instructions can be found here: http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/b...es-videos.html

For the first post, Backing Up Your Devices Main Information Using Desktop Manager, you are going to back up your data in a slightly different way.

• Step 3. In Desktop manager choose advanced instead of backup. Backup everything except Policy.

In the wipe device section you are going to choose Factory reset in BBSAK instead of wipe device.

Follow the rest of the instructions exactly to recover your Berry.

ShimmyShine is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow ShimmyShine On Twitter
    PIN
    Just ask!
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by adperdue View Post
    I believe you may need to remove the IT policy if we cannot get it reactivated for O2. Since your wife used it with her work sim, an IT policy may have been pushed to your device.

To remove the IT policy follow these directions with the specified modifications:

The Basic instructions can be found here: http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/b...es-videos.html

For the first post, Backing Up Your Devices Main Information Using Desktop Manager, you are going to back up your data in a slightly different way.

• Step 3. In Desktop manager choose advanced instead of backup. Backup everything except Policy.

In the wipe device section you are going to choose Factory reset in BBSAK instead of wipe device.

Follow the rest of the instructions exactly to recover your Berry.
    Head on adperdue, that's exactly what I was going to suggest as well. Lol

Good luck!
    "Shimmy, I love it when you talk nerdy to me!" - Natemz

Device
    Bold 9700
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all

Okay, I will try that now, but would you adam & eve it I have blackberry desktop manager V6 now on my desktop - sorry, I was trying everything to get it working, so even upgraded all I could get my hands on. But I think I have found the same advanced screen for backup from the drop down menus. Although according to that list there is 0 policies installed - but I am going to do it anyway, cause I am eager to try all I can
    thanks again all, help is appreciated

Device
    Bold 9700
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi all,

Backed up the main, but the BBSAK link in the guide just goes to an error file not found page! After a short search around all I could find was BBSAK version 1.7, so I assume, rightly I hope, that this is okay to use. If not, well, what the hell, it's an expensive brick at the moment, so not sure I care at this moment in time

chat later

loupou22

Device
    Bold 9700
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

My windows installer only has a blackberry device software updater - rather than the simple device software indicated in the tutorial. Get the feeling this is due to the fact that I have updated the software to version 6 recently, rather than the 4.7 indicated in the tutorial. Grin
    Starting to wish that I had left the software alone before starting this
    chat later
    loupou22

PIN
    2AC197
    Device
    Zed10, PlayBook
    OS
    Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Liked
    79 times
    The only reason you are using BlackBerry Desktop Manager is to backup your berry, the version won't matter, however you will need to install a version of the 9700 OS, for this I would recommend an official version, not a leaked one. Use any official OS from the 9700 official OS thread.

Device
    Bold 9700
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the heads up, just a quick question, does it matter which carriers version of the OS I use? Only I have no real need for a specific phone companies OS, from what I can guess at any rate. Is there no OS issued just by RIM? Rather than installing one from a phone company? Is each OS different, should I stick to a UK one? Or are the operating systems from each phone company just the same?
    sorry for the hassle, but I want to play now, you have given me the bug to start messing around and now I fear nothing muh ha ha!
    sorry, couldn't resist
    loupou22

joshjamie is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow joshjamie On Twitter
    PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    No, it doesn't matter what carrier, just so long as you remove the vendor file prior to loading.
    Posted via mobile device

Device
    Bold 9700
    Liked
    0 times
    Okay, so I did the first bits and downloaded the first OS on the list in your downloads section and did the install and then deleted the vendor file and loaded, by right click run as admin, the apploader and it found the device and went through the first bit - but then it came to a screen that says:

The system applications that are currently installed on the device are newer than those available with this version of Blackberry Desktop Software !!!

Errr ?

Then there are two select points 1) Leave the system applications on the device unchanged and 2) Replace the device's applications with the older version provided by the blackberry desktop software.

So - err - what should I do? I am guessing in all my attempts to update that I have put newer software on there that it is detecting, but I am also guessing that if I don't just put the older software on, then I am really not changing anything and so probably not solving the potential problem.

What say the forum?

cheers
    loupou22

joshjamie is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow joshjamie On Twitter
    PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    Try loading the older version. From reading this thread, I would also opt to NO backup. You'll have to reload contacts and everything but it may be worth your while.

By the way...the options you listed above are normal so no worries.
    Posted via mobile device

Device
    Bold 9700
    Liked
    0 times
    Ah well it didn't work at all

looks like I have an expensive brick here - I guess that's what I get for not super gluing the back onto the phone to prevent my wife getting hold of it!

Anyway, I decided to see if it was just an 02 thing and so got a T-mobile pay and go sim, put it in, and once again it recognises the phone and network fine; but once again there is no calls in or out and when I registered the phone number with T-mobile, they send you a pin to make it work, but no SMS text messages either

This is really odd, and I must say it has me perplexed, the phone is clearly working or surely it wouldn't recognise the sim and the network without any trouble (by the way, my face is looking perplexed)

Just one thing I noticed, I think that the comment made earlier about it being an IT pushed problem may be something to be investigated - only when I try to set up the email all the usual things say that there are two methods 1) enterprise (work) or 2) a private emal setup, but when I go to setup the email it only has: I want to use a work email account with a blackberry enterprise server

when I originally set this BB up I made a gmail account, but this is now not an option - so an IT pushed issue may be close to the button

what say the forum
    loupou22

PIN
    2AC197
    Device
    Zed10, PlayBook
    OS
    Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Liked
    79 times
    Alright, we are going to nuke your file system. I am going to turn this into a how-to, but for now its gonna be down and dirty.

Grab the program BlackBerry Master Control Program from here.

Make sure BlackBerry Desktop manager is not running for all steps.

Install BBMCP and get ready to lobotomize your berry.

First, open MCP and click the following button.

On the next screen, enter the word "BrickBerry", without quotes, case sensitive. The attention icon will change to a green check mark.

For the next step, you will click the icon labled "1" in the next pic, the screen should change to the pic with the numbers on it.

Click the Confirm check box marked "2".
    Select the Complete Wipe radio button, "3".
    Click the Handheld Wipe button, "4".
    Grab a cup of tea or a beer, this will take a few moments.

Berry nuked? It should have a white screen that has the number 507 somewhere. Yes? Now to reinstall the OS.

Do not open BBDM. Instead, uninstall all operating systems for the lobotomized berry. Find a current official OS and install it after you banish all other OSs from your system.

Now that the new OS is installed, find the vendor.xml file on your computer and delete it. On a vista machine it will be in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.

While in this folder double click on Loader.exe. This will install the new OS. Follow the directions and your berry will be back up in no time. Ok, maybe an hour. Probably less.
    Do not restore your berry. This will reinstall the IT policy we just nuked. Instead, use the sync option to get back your address book, tasks, memos, and calender.
    Last edited by BBSuperAbuser; 08-30-2010 at 01:13 AM.