Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Device
    Bold 9700
    Hi,

My windows installer only has a blackberry device software updater - rather than the simple device software indicated in the tutorial. Get the feeling this is due to the fact that I have updated the software to version 6 recently, rather than the 4.7 indicated in the tutorial. Grin
    Starting to wish that I had left the software alone before starting this
    chat later
    loupou22

PIN
    2AC197
    Device
    Zed10, PlayBook
    OS
    Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    The only reason you are using BlackBerry Desktop Manager is to backup your berry, the version won't matter, however you will need to install a version of the 9700 OS, for this I would recommend an official version, not a leaked one. Use any official OS from the 9700 official OS thread.

Device
    Bold 9700
    Thanks for the heads up, just a quick question, does it matter which carriers version of the OS I use? Only I have no real need for a specific phone companies OS, from what I can guess at any rate. Is there no OS issued just by RIM? Rather than installing one from a phone company? Is each OS different, should I stick to a UK one? Or are the operating systems from each phone company just the same?
    sorry for the hassle, but I want to play now, you have given me the bug to start messing around and now I fear nothing muh ha ha!
    sorry, couldn't resist
    loupou22

PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    No, it doesn't matter what carrier, just so long as you remove the vendor file prior to loading.
    Posted via mobile device

Device
    Bold 9700
    Okay, so I did the first bits and downloaded the first OS on the list in your downloads section and did the install and then deleted the vendor file and loaded, by right click run as admin, the apploader and it found the device and went through the first bit - but then it came to a screen that says:

The system applications that are currently installed on the device are newer than those available with this version of Blackberry Desktop Software !!!

Errr ?

Then there are two select points 1) Leave the system applications on the device unchanged and 2) Replace the device's applications with the older version provided by the blackberry desktop software.

So - err - what should I do? I am guessing in all my attempts to update that I have put newer software on there that it is detecting, but I am also guessing that if I don't just put the older software on, then I am really not changing anything and so probably not solving the potential problem.

What say the forum?

cheers
    loupou22

PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Try loading the older version. From reading this thread, I would also opt to NO backup. You'll have to reload contacts and everything but it may be worth your while.

By the way...the options you listed above are normal so no worries.
    Posted via mobile device

Device
    Bold 9700
    Ah well it didn't work at all

looks like I have an expensive brick here - I guess that's what I get for not super gluing the back onto the phone to prevent my wife getting hold of it!

Anyway, I decided to see if it was just an 02 thing and so got a T-mobile pay and go sim, put it in, and once again it recognises the phone and network fine; but once again there is no calls in or out and when I registered the phone number with T-mobile, they send you a pin to make it work, but no SMS text messages either

This is really odd, and I must say it has me perplexed, the phone is clearly working or surely it wouldn't recognise the sim and the network without any trouble (by the way, my face is looking perplexed)

Just one thing I noticed, I think that the comment made earlier about it being an IT pushed problem may be something to be investigated - only when I try to set up the email all the usual things say that there are two methods 1) enterprise (work) or 2) a private emal setup, but when I go to setup the email it only has: I want to use a work email account with a blackberry enterprise server

when I originally set this BB up I made a gmail account, but this is now not an option - so an IT pushed issue may be close to the button

what say the forum
    loupou22

PIN
    2AC197
    Device
    Zed10, PlayBook
    OS
    Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Alright, we are going to nuke your file system. I am going to turn this into a how-to, but for now its gonna be down and dirty.

Grab the program BlackBerry Master Control Program from here.

Make sure BlackBerry Desktop manager is not running for all steps.

Install BBMCP and get ready to lobotomize your berry.

First, open MCP and click the following button.

On the next screen, enter the word "BrickBerry", without quotes, case sensitive. The attention icon will change to a green check mark.

For the next step, you will click the icon labled "1" in the next pic, the screen should change to the pic with the numbers on it.

Click the Confirm check box marked "2".
    Select the Complete Wipe radio button, "3".
    Click the Handheld Wipe button, "4".
    Grab a cup of tea or a beer, this will take a few moments.

Berry nuked? It should have a white screen that has the number 507 somewhere. Yes? Now to reinstall the OS.

Do not open BBDM. Instead, uninstall all operating systems for the lobotomized berry. Find a current official OS and install it after you banish all other OSs from your system.

Now that the new OS is installed, find the vendor.xml file on your computer and delete it. On a vista machine it will be in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.

While in this folder double click on Loader.exe. This will install the new OS. Follow the directions and your berry will be back up in no time. Ok, maybe an hour. Probably less.
    Do not restore your berry. This will reinstall the IT policy we just nuked. Instead, use the sync option to get back your address book, tasks, memos, and calender.
    Last edited by BBSuperAbuser; 08-30-2010 at 12:13 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12