Sell me guys to an addict level...and sell me good!

Thread: Sell me guys to an addict level...and sell me good!

th1nm1nt is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    21E56B8C
    Device
    T-Mobile branded Bold 9700
    OS
    v 5.0.0.586
    Liked
    0 times

Sell me guys to an addict level...and sell me good!

First of all, thank you all for always being so kind when addressing all my questions. Of all the forums I have belonged to (BB or WM), this forum doesn't jump to the quick "use the search link" statements I am accustomed to.

I was an advanced user of my WM devices in the past, always upgrading the OS' and working off of hybrids. I loved doing that, but my priorities changed, forcing me off of the beloved internet. When needing to get my work e-mail, I converted from WM to an unlocked 9530. That Storm was so amazing, I used it stock, and it converted me to a device I talked down on for many years. I wish my 9530 was still alive, it was the perfect device for me.

Now I sit on the 9700, and it is about to push me out of the BB ownership. Problems started immediately with 5.0.0.330. I had an issue with my SMS tags would read the sender's format as +1719xxxxxxx only, and didn't recognize the 300+ contacts' format of (719) xxx-xxxx. Big headache since I rely on custom 4.4 tones for my children. This forum tested ideas, and guided me to a long, but successful fix. Then, three weeks ago my Berry started detecting my device in a different timezone. I allow the phone to recognize due to travel, yet while not traveling, I was recognized as being in AZ, and it pushed my appointments off by an hour, both existing and new. I have dropped the ball a few times since the device was in and out of AZ, and memorizing the time these meetings were was impossible.

To finish my long-winded question (you all are acting as my therapist right now, and saving me from a "Falling Down" moment), I have upgraded to the 5.0.0.586 OS after getting an email from T-Mobile. Haven't had the issue of timezones yet, but see the SMS issue hasn't been resolved. Also notice the Owner Info doesn't show when using the top left hard key (lock) as before. A search of the forum recommended setting up a password, which I did. The only time it would pop up is after a reboot (which doesn't help if an I-Phone user finds it) and now after pressing this hard key.

FINALLY THE QUESTION: I have seen the other OS' on this site, such as 5.0.0.6xx and 5.0.0.9xx. I want this Bold to run just like my Storm (the way RIM designed it to). My usage is mainly Core apps; calendar, contacts, and email. I also use the Browser, Google Maps, BBM, and Facebook frequently (and after downloading this new BBOS Mobile, add this to the list). A lot of what I read in the form of feedback from Leaked or Hybrids are used in a more social manner than myself. Are these leaks more RELIABLE for Core usage than what T-Mobile has to offer? If so, outside of testing each (tine I don't have now), how would I know which would offer the best Core reliability, even if it impacts performance? If I have another issue with my calendar reminders, I will be rejoining the WM group, or even consider going to the I-Phone. I have too much at stake to not get the basics to work properly. I also want to make sure I can get this damn thing back if I lose it.

Thank you all in advance, and I will end my rant here.
    Posted via mobile device

sunkast Guest
    Hybrids are a very subjective and personal choice. Every hybrid user has their favorite hybrid builder or hybrid version. And not all hybrids work the same. You can find yourself trading off pros and cons. I would say check some out and ask around for recommendations. It's pretty hard to permanently brick a BlackBerry.

dbone15 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    Bwahahaha!
    Device
    Tour 9630 & Sto
    OS
    Always Changing
    Liked
    1 times
    I am no longer a 9700 user, but I had great results with 5.0.0.692 straight up no hybrid. Give it a whirl.

Madasafish is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow Madasafish On Twitter
    PIN
    suck it...
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    BB10
    Carrier
    Liked
    3 times
    My wife is using a leaked OS for the bold (well it was leaked when she got it) It has now been released and she is so impressed with the battery life she refuses me to upgrade it again.
    I am on nights at the moment but will get what version it is and let you know.
    I would say try it.
    She is a user much like yourself but with Twitter and a theme on the go. It should be right up your street (less the pink theme that is LMAO!).

I will return

PIN
    21E56B8C
    Device
    OS
    v 5.0.0.586
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkast View Post
    ...It's pretty hard to permanently brick a BlackBerry.
    That makes me feel much better after almost bricking one of my WM devices, which became useless for about two weeks until someone was able to duplicate the issue.
    Posted via mobile device

PIN
    21E56B8C
    Device
    OS
    v 5.0.0.586
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you all for your input. I have hesitated upgrading because of my lack of knowledge of the RIM system, where I was able to fumble around WM due to its link with Windows Operating Systems. Madasafish, I would love to hear the version your wife ran, you have peaked my curiousity on where I may start.

Thanks again everyone!!!
    Posted via mobile device

PIN
    suck it...
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    BB10
    Carrier
    Liked
    3 times
    OK, just got it for you.

She is using 5.0.0.593 (which you can get here BlackberryOS Download Center - RIM BlackBerry operating Software download center) and loves it.

Just follow the guide on and you can't go wrong. Available here http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/b...es-videos.html

PM me if you want, I am on here most days.

PIN
    21E56B8C
    Device
    OS
    v 5.0.0.586
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you...think I will take this big step over the weekend and report back.
    Posted via mobile device

Wireless is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    T-Mobile BlackBerry 9700
    OS
    .330 -> .442 -> .536 -> .545 -> .586 -> .593 -> .656 -> .680 -> .743 -> .770 -> .862 -> .938 -> .979
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Madasafish View Post
    OK, just got it for you.

She is using 5.0.0.593 (which you can get here BlackberryOS Download Center - RIM BlackBerry operating Software download center) and loves it.
    Please be aware that this .593 OS has a bug which restricts the playing of Visual Voicemail over the speaker on the phone. .593 was a well received OS but I could not tolerate the lack of speaker support for Voicemail which I consider essential for daily work. IMHO, .656 and .680 are equally as good as .593 and do not restrict voicemail speaker support.

I've only been on .680 for about 40 hours but so far .680 has a good battery management profile.

Lastly with regard to the "use search and look it up" comment in the original post, this is a popular tactic on that "other site" where children run loose trying to rack up big post counts so they can feel they are important on that "other site." Personally, while it's true that that other site does have some good content contributions, it is also absolutely full of some of the most immature members on the Net. I pray this site always retains its "more adult" tone.
    Last edited by Wireless; 05-27-2010 at 12:38 PM.
    --

BBOS ... the adult's choice for BlackBerry chat!

PIN
    suck it...
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    BB10
    Carrier
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks Wireless, I didnt know that because my wife doesnt use that feature.

paspals is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    2 times
    i see ur prob, as i aswell am an WM user- but i'm a BB user also for the past 2-3 years..
    Concedering the probs u have, my thoughts r that ur device didn't respond well to the new OS- for reasons unknown... I would suggest some of the previous versions, and my belive is that the .423 buld was a much stable OS, good baterry, lock button worked for locking only(1 of ur probs mentioned above)..

Terrigno is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow Terrigno On Twitter
    Device
    Bold
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireless View Post
    Please be aware that this .593 OS has a bug which restricts the playing of Visual Voicemail over the speaker on the phone. .593 was a well received OS but I could not tolerate the lack of speaker support for Voicemail which I consider essential for daily work. IMHO, .656 and .680 are equally as good as .593 and do not restrict voicemail speaker support.

I've only been on .680 for about 40 hours but so far .680 has a good battery management profile.

Lastly with regard to the "use search and look it up" comment in the original post, this is a popular tactic on that "other site" where children run loose trying to rack up big post counts so they can feel they are important on that "other site." Personally, while it's true that that other site does have some good content contributions, it is also absolutely full of some of the most immature members on the Net. I pray this site always retains its "more adult" tone.
    I must agree with this statement. I just switched from having Verizon to AT&T. Tour to Bold 9700. Upgraded to 680 and MAN. The Battery is a world difference with AT&T then Verizon I will say that!

PIN
    21E56B8C
    Device
    OS
    v 5.0.0.586
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireless View Post
    ... that other site does have some good content contributions, it is also absolutely full of some of the most immature members on the Net. I pray this site always retains its "more adult" tone.
    I agree 100%, but if anything, it's more that this site is different. Again, after years of WM, I have dealt with WM Forums with the same maturity as the other site. I am greatful that everyone here has tried to lend a hand instead of trying to slam in their reply. I have gotten my BlackBerry to acceptable, after realizing my default VM changed. I went a week with my VMs going elsewhere, and have no idea where to retrieve them. I am hoping this device (along with the support of this forum) turns around in my mind. It has about 2 more weeks to stop dropping the ball before I leave for an IPhone. You guys have helped save it from hitting my wall. Just hoping to make it perform like my beloved Storm before its too late.

Thanks again everyone...your thoughtful advice has truly helped.
    Posted via mobile device

Wireless is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    T-Mobile BlackBerry 9700
    OS
    .330 -> .442 -> .536 -> .545 -> .586 -> .593 -> .656 -> .680 -> .743 -> .770 -> .862 -> .938 -> .979
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by th1nm1nt View Post
    I agree 100%, but if anything, it's more that this site is different. Again, after years of WM, I have dealt with WM Forums with the same maturity as the other site.

It has about 2 more weeks to stop dropping the ball before I leave for an IPhone. You guys have helped save it from hitting my wall. Just hoping to make it perform like my beloved Storm before its too late.
    Who/what is a "WM Forum?" (Windoze Mobile?) I was referring to childrenberry.com (some call it crackberry).

I'd keep an open mind about that iPhone. I recently bought a MacBook Pro and have gone into a total love affair with this laptop. It has changed much of my earlier perspectives of Apple and Apple's products. I watched Steve Jobs' WWDC keynote and was very impressed with the 4G iPhone. I'm a pretty die-hard T-Mobile guy so I'm not going to at&t to get an iPhone but if T-Mobile ever gets the new 4G iPhone, I'd be a buyer.

I still love my 9700 but the iPhone would probably play better with my MacBook so I'm keeping an open mind. If you check out the iPhone's sales growth, it's got to be scary up there in Ontario where RIM is. Apple is fast approaching a point in time where they well could overtake RIM's sales of the BlackBerry and become the dominant smart phone. I'd say unless Ontario does something revolutionary, it's only a matter of time before the iPhone takes over.

So perhaps it's not a terrible idea to check into that iPhone if your BB is giving you that much heartache.
    Last edited by Wireless; 06-12-2010 at 08:38 PM.
    --

BBOS ... the adult's choice for BlackBerry chat!

BBSuperAbuser is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow BBSuperAbuser On Twitter Add BBSuperAbuser on Facebook Visit BBSuperAbuser's Youtube Channel
    PIN
    2AC197
    Device
    Zed10, PlayBook
    OS
    Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Liked
    79 times
    I have been running .743 for the last few days and have seen no bugs yet. Battery life is virtually the same if not a little better than .680.

alifx is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie Follow alifx On Twitter
    PIN
    Device
    bb9700
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Looks like i am in same boat lol i see ur prob, as i aswell am an WM user- but i'm a BB user also for the past 2-3 years..
    Concedering the probs u have, my thoughts r that ur device didn't respond well to the new OS- for reasons unknown...

Hodges is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    312939D8
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by alifx View Post
    Looks like i am in same boat lol i see ur prob, as i aswell am an WM user- but i'm a BB user also for the past 2-3 years..
    Concedering the probs u have, my thoughts r that ur device didn't respond well to the new OS- for reasons unknown...
    Welcome to you will love it here. Thanks for pitching in on the forums. If you are having any issues please doesn't hesitate to ask. We are always here to help.