sms problem

Thread: sms problem

bambino is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    onyx9700
    Liked
    0 times

sms problem

hi i just changed my BB bold to bold2 and i was wondering if i can use the same format of sms like in the 9000 bold ? now its like in bbm mode?

MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    Hello bambino
    Correct me if I'm wrong. So are you talking about the "Conversation Style" setting for SMS text?
    If so, that feature is enabled in the Options screen.
    You will get the choice of Bubbles or Stripes.
    Good luck :fing02:
    Posted via mobile device

BlackberryBlake is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    OG Bold & 9700
    OS
    latest (shrunken)
    Liked
    2 times
    bambino, it sounds like you're talking about threaded sms. All OS 5 builds have threaded sms. There's no option to go back. Most ppl love the threaded sms, so just out of curiosity, what don't you like about it?
    We pull batteries, swap bezels, break contracts, and stay up all night. We change OSes like we change underwear. If our phones could make us fly, we still wouldn't be satisfied. We're cut from a different cloth. A better breed. We are BlackBerry.

dbone15 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    PIN
    Bwahahaha!
    Device
    Tour 9630 & Sto
    OS
    Always Changing
    Liked
    1 times
    Blake is right. There is no option to go back to non-threaded SMS. The only was is to use a 4.7 OS and that does not exist for the 9700.

bambino is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    onyx9700
    Liked
    0 times
    ahh.... thanks for the heads up guys! i guess i am just too used to my old bold... lol :1244:

BlackberryBlake is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    OG Bold & 9700
    OS
    latest (shrunken)
    Liked
    2 times
    No prob. And I don't know if this is ur issue but u can still delete individual messages within an sms thread. Just highlight the line and hit menu, detete.
    We pull batteries, swap bezels, break contracts, and stay up all night. We change OSes like we change underwear. If our phones could make us fly, we still wouldn't be satisfied. We're cut from a different cloth. A better breed. We are BlackBerry.

Wireless is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    T-Mobile BlackBerry 9700
    OS
    .330 -> .442 -> .536 -> .545 -> .586 -> .593 -> .656 -> .680 -> .743 -> .770 -> .862 -> .938 -> .979
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackberryBlake View Post
    bambino, it sounds like you're talking about threaded sms. All OS 5 builds have threaded sms. There's no option to go back. Most ppl love the threaded sms, so just out of curiosity, what don't you like about it?
    Threaded sms is a downer for many of us. SMS was designed for "short message service," not to replace IM apps. If an individual wants extended chats, that was always the design of IM apps. Because Apple (and a few others) bastardized sms and turned it into threaded sms, RIM followed in their 5.0 releases. It is a source of great irritation for many.

The problem is that if one uses sms as it was designed to be used (stock and news alerts and quick text messages), then the threaded sms makes a gobbily-gook mess out of your sms inbox.

The horse is out of the barn now and there is little likelihood that RIM is going to "undesign" this feature. What many of us have asked for and are praying for is the OPTION to turn threaded sms off. How feature rich and fair is that? To give people the ability to use and control their sms inbox to their best design and not force them to live with something they don't like.

RIM if you are listening, please give us the ability to turn off threaded sms in the 6.0 OS.
    --

BBOS ... the adult's choice for BlackBerry chat!

SJSU159120 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow SJSU159120 On Twitter
    Device
    Blackberry Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireless View Post
    The problem is that if one uses sms as it was designed to be used (stock and news alerts and quick text messages), then the threaded sms makes a gobbily-gook mess out of your sms inbox.

I find it to be the exact opposite. I have a few news updates and twitter updates that get sent via SMS and I find threaded to be so much better because all the messages are contained within one thread as opposed to having to parse my inbox for them. As far as IM applications, not every person has a smart phone and not every smart phone owner has the same IM applications. For example, I like Google Talk but some of my friends use AIM and some use Yahoo and others use none of those. I would have to constantly have all those applications installed and constantly running on my phone to have instant message conversations as you suggest. Just my two cents though

Wireless is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    T-Mobile BlackBerry 9700
    OS
    .330 -> .442 -> .536 -> .545 -> .586 -> .593 -> .656 -> .680 -> .743 -> .770 -> .862 -> .938 -> .979
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SJSU159120 View Post
    I find it to be the exact opposite. Just my two cents though
    My fellow alumnus, I would submit to you that it's fine for you to enjoy using your BB any way you wish. I would hope that we would agree that it's not my job to get in the middle of your enjoyment of your BlackBerry nor your job to get in the middle of my enjoyment of mine.

The distaste of many of us who are not happy with threaded sms is well documented in various tech chatrooms around the Net. If you like using threaded sms, cool. But please respect my opinion and keep in mind that there is little to be gained in trying to convince those of us who don't like threaded sms that there is something wrong with our evaluation/opinions.

I think threaded sms sucks. I do not want it. I do not want to use it. And I want RIM to give me the ability to turn it off. Not asking you to give up anything ... just want RIM to let me opt out of threaded sms.

I would hope and think that we can agree that adding functionality to RIM's devices is a good thing and those of us who are asking RIM to give us the ability to turn this off should be heard and should be respected.

Go Spartans.
    --

BBOS ... the adult's choice for BlackBerry chat!