Thread: iPhone to 9700....some questions

awtryau89 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    NA
    Device
    Liked
    0 times

iPhone to 9700....some questions

I posted this over at the other site and did not get much play. Here goes over here. You guys were always much more helpful back in my hybrid days with the old Storm.

Okay, I am probably the complete opposite of many with this question. First here is the background. In 2009 my company discontinued blackberries and went with iPhones and EAS devices to cut cost. I used a berry for 5 years up to that point. I have had this iPhone now for about 10 months and I do like most of it's features. Ultimately I find I was more productive with the berry and the physical qwerty. So here is my question:

Should I get a berry (9700) again? I'm thinking most would say yes but there are caveats. First, I have to stay on the iPhone data plan. My company owns my number and bill so I could not change it. This means I would have to run something like Notifysync for my email. From reading about it, Notifysync seems to be a great solution. Also since I would not have a berry plan, I would lose BBM. No big deal really as no one at work uses it either. Finally, I wonder if all my apps would work? I am guessing most would through normal data as ling as I configured them that way.

So I hope you can see my dilema. Originally I was looking at other qwerty devices but none are as solid as a berry. Let me know what you think. If I missed anything above let me know. If you have any experiences that can offer pros or cons let me know. TIA.

Orio is offline BlackBerryOS Fanatic
    PIN
    ch hitter.
    Device
    storm2 9550 VZW
    Liked
    1 times
    Good question...I personally do not know the answer, sorry.

I will post a help request to see if anyone on Staff may be of help.

Hang in there...and keep an eye on your thread.

Last edited by Orio; 05-04-2010 at 10:08 PM.

sunkast Guest
    Personally, I don't think a BlackBerry is worth it without a BlackBerry data plan.

R1cE is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow R1cE On Twitter
    Device
    Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.699 Willboy's
    Liked
    1 times
    I use a blackberry with a dumb-phone data plan and most of my apps work. You wont be able to use the RIM made apps like Twitter for Blackberry, AIM for Blackberry, facebook (1.7), etc. But for all those apps there are 3rd party solutions that work over any data plan. I use Shangmail for my push email and I have never heard of notifysync. I hope this answers your question!
    Follow me on twitter: @riseofr1ce

Brett Wyman is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Device
    Tour
    OS
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkast View Post
    Personally, I don't think a BlackBerry is worth it without a BlackBerry data plan.
    That is exactly what I was going to say.

awtryau89 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    NA
    Device
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, even though this may not be a perfect solution, I am going to try this. I have verified that almost everything I need will work. I will use a 3rd party browser like Opera, a 3rd Part Exchange email like Notifysync and most all other apps will work via WAP or regular data. The only hang up will be Facebook and I have a Socialscope beta for that. After many searches and thorough research, I am finding there are many using a berry this way. I am hopefully getting the berry tomorrow. After I work on it a while, I will let you guys know what I find. It may not be helpful to most but maybe it will help someone down the road.

Wireless is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    T-Mobile BlackBerry 9700
    OS
    .330 -> .442 -> .536 -> .545 -> .586 -> .593 -> .656 -> .680 -> .743 -> .770 -> .862 -> .938 -> .979
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post
    First here is the background. In 2009 my company discontinued blackberries and went with iPhones and EAS devices to cut cost. I used a berry for 5 years up to that point. I have had this iPhone now for about 10 months and I do like most of it's features. Ultimately I find I was more productive with the berry and the physical qwerty.
    I've played around with the iPhone and found it lacking for my taste. With that said, if the iPhone is your company standard now, I'm not sure I'd buck the tide and go against company policy. Don't get me wrong, I'd buy a BB anyday over an iPhone but I'm not a big fan of gimicking up a device to work on a network or a plan that it isn't designed for. Moreover, I'd definitely not be a fan of using a BB without a BB data plan.

Based on the information you've shared with us, I'd stick with the iPhone.
    --

BBOS ... the adult's choice for BlackBerry chat!