Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Device
    Torch 9800
    OS
    Quote Originally Posted by Neolantis View Post
    I tried to search for schematics the other day, but there are only a handful out there.
    Process of elimination is probably the best bet...
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, will keep you guys updated.

Has anyone changed their housing on a 9700?

I experienced the same effect when I changed my housing to one bought on eBay. As I took off all the pieces that the new housing didn't have, I noticed there is a small connector at the bottom, much like the speaker and buttons type, that connect once the board is in place. It didn't look like much, but I believe the antenna is in the bottom rounded piece of the back (or middle, depends how you think of it) housing.

I think that the cases bought that are not OEM lack the antenna there, and just have plastic where the metal would be.

I'd refer to a picture if I could find one as to where the piece is. I'm not going to take apart my phone to take a picture of it :P.

I found a page that has some pictures.

CUSTOMIZE YOUR BLACKBERRY HOUSING, KL MALAYSIA: 9700 MIDDLE-PLATE/CHASSIS EXPERIMENTAL!!

If you notice the two strips of connector on the bottom of the original housing, that get transferred to the new housing (looking on the inside of the housing from what would be the top). I didn't see how to remove this on the original housing, but this guy seems to have done it.

The housing I purchased had come with the metal plate, camera and flash plastic (or less likely glass) cover and charging points on the inside, but nothing else.

Device
    Torch 9800
    OS
    Quote Originally Posted by starcraper View Post
    I found a page that has some pictures.

CUSTOMIZE YOUR BLACKBERRY HOUSING, KL MALAYSIA: 9700 MIDDLE-PLATE/CHASSIS EXPERIMENTAL!!

If you notice the two strips of connector on the bottom of the original housing, that get transferred to the new housing (looking on the inside of the housing from what would be the top). I didn't see how to remove this on the original housing, but this guy seems to have done it.

The housing I purchased had come with the metal plate, camera and flash plastic (or less likely glass) cover and charging points on the inside, but nothing else.
    I'm only replacing the Bezel, top cover, bottom cover and battery door, I'm using the original midplate, something is causing my signal lost when I install the housing.
    Posted via mobile device

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .419/.692 Hybrid by Lyricidal (Shrunk)
    Just tossing in my two cents here.
    Are the parts you're describing here, painted? MANY paints are metallic based and this might be your problem (just another guess of a potential source of your problem). At the frequencies these devices operate, many paints could cause a problem...for the phone, the bluetooth and the GPS. For example, those of us with aftermarket GPS devices installed in our cars with external antennas are warned to NOT paint the antenna mounted on the vehicle. The reason is the metal based paints which many (most) mistankingly use for this purpose.
    Hope you figure this one out and please let us know the answer.

Edit: See Post #23 for more info!!!!
    Last edited by toytooii; 05-18-2010 at 01:35 PM.

PIN
    Bwahahaha!
    Device
    Tour 9630 & Sto
    OS
    Always Changing
    Quote Originally Posted by toytooii View Post
    Just tossing in my two cents here.
    Who painted your housing??? MANY paints are metallic based and this might be your problem (just another guess of a potential source of your problem). At the frequencies these devices operate, many paints could cause a problem...for the phone, the bluetooth and the GPS. For example, those of us with aftermarket GPS devices installed in our cars with external antennas are warned to NOT paint the antenna mounted on the vehicle. The reason is the metal based paints which many (most) mistankingly use for this purpose.
    Hope you figure this one out and please let us know the answer.

Pretty sure you hit the nail right on the head.

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .419/.692 Hybrid by Lyricidal (Shrunk)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops2269 View Post
    Does anybody know where the antenna is located on the 9700?
    According to the FCC acceptance submission, the antenna is located in the back bottom center area...I'm guessing it's actually "printed" right onto the circuit board but it's not clear from the pictures I've seen.
    Try this link (doesn't seem to always work though)... https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...#39;L6ARCN70UW (see the RF Exposure Report for the 9700). The location of the antenna is staed as above. Unfortuantely, it isn't specifically identified on any of the pictures in the FCC submission
    Last edited by toytooii; 05-18-2010 at 07:26 PM.

Device
    Torch 9800
    OS
    Quote Originally Posted by toytooii View Post
    According to the FCC acceptance submission, the antenna is located in the back bottom center area...I'm guessing it's actually "printed" right onto the circuit board but it's not clear from the pictures I've seen.
    Try this link (doesn't seem to always work though)... https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/f...ive_or_pdf=pdf (the RF Exposure Report for the 9700). The location of the antenna is staed as above. Unfortuantely, it isn't specifically identified on any of the pictures in the FCC submission
    Thanks for the info, I just tried the link you provided, but it doesn't work.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast