Recognizing Contacts - Possible Newb Question
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Recognizing Contacts - Possible Newb Question

  1. #1
    th1nm1nt is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mile High State
    PIN
    21E56B8C
    Device
    T-Mobile branded Bold 9700
    OS
    v 5.0.0.586
    Posts
    27
    Liked
    0 times

    Recognizing Contacts - Possible Newb Question

    I have become addicted to BlackBerry after moving from Windows Mobile last summer, and have enjoyed every minute. After my unlocked 9530 died on me, I decided to leave 8 years of touch screening for the new T-Mobile Bold 9700 (finally went 3G, hard keyboard, and roller pad). However, after transferring my information from one BlackBerry to another, I've noticed an issue that is likely a simple setting, but with only 13 months under my belt (and never any issues), I lack the knowledge of the RIM devices.

    I did get all contacts successfully loaded onto my phone, allowing me to send and recieve calls with full recognition. However, when recieving an SMS, the sender information is reflected as "+1719XXXXXXX". Now the number is in fact in my contact list, however in the format run from my Storm (and in Outlook) which is "(719) XXX-XXXX". Therefore, I get only the number on the sender's line (with no names), and my custom message alerts are obviously impacted as well.

    Is this a simple input setting (such as an option with Windows Mobile) or a simple fix? Or do I need to modify all of my contacts to the format of "+1719XXXXXXX" (which will not allow me to send the text since the format exceeds 10 digits)?

    Lost, and looking for a successful fix, even if I have to change all 368 contacts.

    Thanks in advance!!!


    Th1nm1nt...The World's Greatest!
    Currently: BlackBerry Bold 9700 on T-Mobile US Network
    Previously: BlackBerry Storm 9530, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Wing, HTC MDA, and HP H6315


  2. #2
    ShimmyShine's Avatar
    ShimmyShine is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow ShimmyShine On Twitter
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gowen, Michigan
    PIN
    Just ask!
    Device
    9800
    OS
    6.0.0.337
    Posts
    242
    Liked
    1 times
    No. The way you have it input is fine. No need to go through them all.

    I'm going to boot up my 9700 simulator to look for a setting, but can you tell me what OS your running? If it is still this: "v4.7.0.148 v6 Hybird" then I suggest upgrading Since that OS is very out of date as of today (5.0 is available). If after updating, you still have the problem then we'll look into it.
    "Shimmy, I love it when you talk nerdy to me!" - Natemz

  3. #3
    th1nm1nt is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mile High State
    PIN
    21E56B8C
    Device
    T-Mobile branded Bold 9700
    OS
    v 5.0.0.586
    Posts
    27
    Liked
    0 times
    Sorry, only 3 days into the Bold. The v 4.7 was from my Storm. I'm running the T-Mobile branded v 5.0.0.330.

    Thanks
    Th1nm1nt...The World's Greatest!
    Currently: BlackBerry Bold 9700 on T-Mobile US Network
    Previously: BlackBerry Storm 9530, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Wing, HTC MDA, and HP H6315

  4. #4
    ShimmyShine's Avatar
    ShimmyShine is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow ShimmyShine On Twitter
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gowen, Michigan
    PIN
    Just ask!
    Device
    9800
    OS
    6.0.0.337
    Posts
    242
    Liked
    1 times
    Okay cool - that helps enough to make it up to date :P

    I would look for an option somewhere that sets it. I'll look into it more for you, but for now an option/OS wipe(upgrade) might be a good idea.
    "Shimmy, I love it when you talk nerdy to me!" - Natemz

  5. #5
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Liked
    5 times
    I actually think I remember reading something a while back on this that if the number is stored different than what it comes up as a SMS then it will not display the contact. If you get SMS and it says +1xxxxxxxxxx then you would need to add that to all contacts and it should auto edit the number to make it sendable by sms.

  6. #6
    ShimmyShine's Avatar
    ShimmyShine is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow ShimmyShine On Twitter
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gowen, Michigan
    PIN
    Just ask!
    Device
    9800
    OS
    6.0.0.337
    Posts
    242
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    I actually think I remember reading something a while back on this that if the number is stored different than what it comes up as a SMS then it will not display the contact. If you get SMS and it says +1xxxxxxxxxx then you would need to add that to all contacts and it should auto edit the number to make it sendable by sms.
    Well, I do stand corrected then. Sorry for my misinformation :P
    "Shimmy, I love it when you talk nerdy to me!" - Natemz

  7. #7
    th1nm1nt is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mile High State
    PIN
    21E56B8C
    Device
    T-Mobile branded Bold 9700
    OS
    v 5.0.0.586
    Posts
    27
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    I actually think I remember reading something a while back on this that if the number is stored different than what it comes up as a SMS then it will not display the contact. If you get SMS and it says +1xxxxxxxxxx then you would need to add that to all contacts and it should auto edit the number to make it sendable by sms.
    Is this common? I had no issues going from Windows Mobile to the Storm. It was so smooth, which helped drive my love for the BlackBerry. Is there a way to remove contacts from the device without deleting them through the Sync, and restoring them? Just to see if its a fluke of some sort?
    Th1nm1nt...The World's Greatest!
    Currently: BlackBerry Bold 9700 on T-Mobile US Network
    Previously: BlackBerry Storm 9530, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Wing, HTC MDA, and HP H6315

  8. #8
    Tevansny's Avatar
    Tevansny is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Western,NY
    PIN
    someone us
    Device
    9550
    OS
    5.0.0.1015
    Posts
    377
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by th1nm1nt View Post
    Is this common? I had no issues going from Windows Mobile to the Storm. It was so smooth, which helped drive my love for the BlackBerry. Is there a way to remove contacts from the device without deleting them through the Sync, and restoring them? Just to see if its a fluke of some sort?
    This seems to be a common issue with some of the new operating systems. If you add the "1" in front of the affected contacts in your contacts list it should repair the problem.

  9. #9
    dbone15's Avatar
    dbone15 is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NYC
    PIN
    Bwahahaha!
    Device
    Tour 9630 & Sto
    OS
    Always Changing
    Posts
    161
    Liked
    1 times
    I think this may be a bug in one of the 5.0 OS's. I dont have the issue on 593. I sugget giving it a shot.

  10. #10
    jnepsa's Avatar
    jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    ohio
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    5.0.0.428
    Posts
    4,387
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ShimmyShine View Post
    Well, I do stand corrected then. Sorry for my misinformation :P
    No worries figured i would let you know before you pulled your hair out


    Quote Originally Posted by th1nm1nt View Post
    Is this common? I had no issues going from Windows Mobile to the Storm. It was so smooth, which helped drive my love for the BlackBerry. Is there a way to remove contacts from the device without deleting them through the Sync, and restoring them? Just to see if its a fluke of some sort?
    Quote Originally Posted by tevansny View Post
    This seems to be a common issue with some of the new operating systems. If you add the "1" in front of the affected contacts in your contacts list it should repair the problem.
    And tevansny hit the nail on the head.. and it also seems that i remember this only happening on the 9700.. i could be wrong about this, so i dont know if it has something to do with the GSM versions or radio files or not but it could.

  11. #11
    th1nm1nt is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mile High State
    PIN
    21E56B8C
    Device
    T-Mobile branded Bold 9700
    OS
    v 5.0.0.586
    Posts
    27
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you all for your input. Yes, this appears to be a very rare issue, but a sizable issue in my needs of my BlackBerry. I did take everyone's advice, and came up with the following work-around. I left everyone's Mobile number as the (719) XXX-XXXX, and manually entered in the Other category the different format of the number +1719XXXXXXX. Therefore, everyone has two numbers in my contact list for their one cell phone. The real pain is realizing any new additions needs to have their number input twice following these steps in order to have full communication recognized by the unit.

    I'm very disappointed this is the only fix, and after coming off the Storm (which converted me from WM6), this new Bold may be the reason I leave RIM for good.

    Thanks everyone for your quick, informative replies. You all have always been a great contribution to me understanding RIM.
    Th1nm1nt...The World's Greatest!
    Currently: BlackBerry Bold 9700 on T-Mobile US Network
    Previously: BlackBerry Storm 9530, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Wing, HTC MDA, and HP H6315

  12. #12
    Madasafish's Avatar
    Madasafish is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow Madasafish On Twitter
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    UK
    PIN
    suck it...
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    BB10
    Carrier
    3
    Posts
    335
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by th1nm1nt View Post
    Thank you all for your input. Yes, this appears to be a very rare issue, but a sizable issue in my needs of my BlackBerry. I did take everyone's advice, and came up with the following work-around. I left everyone's Mobile number as the (719) XXX-XXXX, and manually entered in the Other category the different format of the number +1719XXXXXXX. Therefore, everyone has two numbers in my contact list for their one cell phone. The real pain is realizing any new additions needs to have their number input twice following these steps in order to have full communication recognized by the unit.

    I'm very disappointed this is the only fix, and after coming off the Storm (which converted me from WM6), this new Bold may be the reason I leave RIM for good.

    Thanks everyone for your quick, informative replies. You all have always been a great contribution to me understanding RIM.
    If you need to change details in contact lists an easy way is to save a back up, open and modify that backup then restore it to your device.
    This link has a free editor to do just that.
    You need to backup the contact list and restore it yourself but for the future and anyone else who is looking, use ABC Amber editor (no I have no personal link/gain from it)

    Free download ABC Amber BlackBerry Editor, edit contacts in IPD files

  13. #13
    ealvnv's Avatar
    ealvnv is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow ealvnv On Twitter
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Saturn
    PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Posts
    2,405
    Liked
    9 times
    In your phone go to options, SMS text, where it say show names set to yes, default is no, save and you're all set

    ??âl???®?
    ? Beta Tester ?
    Posted via mobile device

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •