Setup > Email settings > Your device had a problem connecting to the server
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setup > Email settings > Your device had a problem connecting to the server

rcocchiararo is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow rcocchiararo On Twitter
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Setup > Email settings > Your device had a problem connecting to the server

So, i had a 9000, which started giving me the error from the title, after i debranded it. (it was from a local carrier).

Now i have a 9700, from ATT, unlocked, and using it in Personal Argentina, with BIS.

The same

i wouldnt care, except that its not posible to enable contact sync from google without it !

no big deal, right now, i dont use that... but calendar sync will be comming, and who knows WHAT more, and i wont be able to use them !

i have a friend with an att 9700 also, that also had a 9000, and the exact same thing happened to him.

Another friend with a branded personal Argentina 9000 can use the email setup app with no problems.

I googled arround, and tried:

1) making super sure that i had the correct time set (auto, manual, etc)
    2)doing a 5 minutes battery pool, removing SIM, booting, another 5 minutes bat pull, try again
    3) resending service books
    4) re registering into the network
    5) setting the APN (which costs money to use)
    6) wifi

so far, no go.

Any ideas ?

My friend has STOCK 5.0.0.442, and he had .405 and .423 before, never shrinked, never worked.
    I have .442 with some stuff taken out.

EVERYTHING else works fine, i can browse, get mails, access my bis page with the browser or on PC.

only this fails.

This is from the log on my 9700, i deleted all of it, run the mail setup app, and copied this.

#BlackBerry Event Log (cpt)
    #HwID: 0x4001507
    #DPIN: 0x21838aed
    #PVer: 5.1.0.121
    #AVer: 5.0.0.442
    ¿ System - JVM:INFOp=21838aed,a='5.0.0.442',o='5.1.0.121',h=4 001507 - 3/2 20:38:14
    ¿ UI - GS-D 9f403fc7 - 3/2 20:38:12
    ¿ UI - GS+Q2 9f403fc7net.rim.device.apps.internal.ribbon.ui.App licationSwitcher - 3/2 20:38:10
    S net.rim.gme - TEns 395855499 - 3/2 20:38:09
    ¿ net.rim.fd - FDOn 0 - 3/2 20:38:09
    ¿ net_rim_bis_client - HTTP: IOException: Failed to transmit, time: 18, user: false - 3/2 20:38:09
    ¿ net.rim.ippp - TXst 0 - 3/2 20:38:09
    S net.rim.gme - TEns 395855498 - 3/2 20:38:09
    ¿ net.rim.ippp - TXst 1186 - 3/2 20:38:09
    ¿ net.rim.fd - FDOf - 3/2 20:38:09
    ¿ UI - GS-D d4061290 - 3/2 20:38:08
    ¿ UI - GS+Q2 d4061290net.rim.device.apps.internal.ribbon.ui.App licationSwitcher - 3/2 20:38:07
    Last edited by rcocchiararo; 02-03-2010 at 06:40 PM.

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    New info:

my friend's 9000 that is Personal Argentina branded, with os 5.0.0.411, can use the mail setup app.

another friend, with a 8520, which came with os 4.*, and was updated to 5.0 before even using it, and that phone IS personal branded, has the same problem as us.

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    im soooo

aloneee

MePascal is offline BlackBerryOS Champion Follow MePascal On Twitter
    Device
    None
    OS
    Virtuous 3.26.605.1*
    Liked
    1 times
    It seems like the issue you are having could be due to the fact that you had your device debranded seeing as you have a friend that has a registered device to the carrier you have specified.

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    but only the 9000 was debranded (like one of my friends), both 9700 are att branded, the 9550 is verizon branded, and my friends wife 8520 is personal branded (personal is the carrier we all have )

ealvnv is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow ealvnv On Twitter
    PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    9 times
    That sounds like a apn setting problem, which btw has no extra cost if you have an unlimited data plan or a plan with some gb or mb limitations. Have you tried using the email setup via the setup wizard?
    Posted via mobile device

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    here in my country, the bb plans give you free internet only when using BIS (EDGE/3G), you have to pay (or credit is taken) if you use the carrier apn (edge/3g)

now, if i set the apn, the problem persist.

the wizzard ends in the same problem.

pd: yesterday my carrier decided that i was using their apn, even when it is unset, and took 11 bucks from my credit... is it posible ? can an app decide to use socket/tcp, and use the APN even if its not set ? or is my carrier ... being "argentinian" ? :P

breiti is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow breiti On Twitter
    PIN
    please ask
    Device
    OS
    always the latest
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rcocchiararo View Post
    here in my country, the bb plans give you free internet only when using BIS (EDGE/3G), you have to pay (or credit is taken) if you use the carrier apn (edge/3g)

now, if i set the apn, the problem persist.

the wizzard ends in the same problem.

pd: yesterday my carrier decided that i was using their apn, even when it is unset, and took 11 bucks from my credit... is it posible ? can an app decide to use socket/tcp, and use the APN even if its not set ? or is my carrier ... being "argentinian" ? :P
    If is uses an app preset apn, then I would say, yes, could be! I guess, you all have deleted every vendor xml on your PCs you could find. And you have tried to send service books from the internet via the PC (from your providers site). What is happening if you go to options/mobile net/diagnose/execute...

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    well, right now i only have BIS if i have wifi, my credit gets refilled tomorow, and my carriers stunt left me with no credit (y had 26 bucks, gave my gf 15, and then i lost the other 11 like i said).

The apps i used where:
    opera mini 5 beta (its set to http, if i set it to socket it fails to work)
    beejive (it was auto set to socket, bis transport, like when i had my 9000, on my 9550 beejive said it should use http and bis transport. I used beejive to send my gf 5 mesages)
    ubertwitter (set to bis, fails otherwise)
    im+ (opened it to confi an account, it decided it should use TCP, like on my 9000, my 9550 said it should use HTTP, i sent no mesages with this one)
    tweetgenius (im not sure if i used it in the timeframe my carrier says i used their APN, but it auto configured on tcp)

i wanted to use google mobile app, but until i activated wifi, it failed to start.

any of those apps may have the personal argentina APN preset to them ? :P

my phone is att branded, i, and all the other people, removed any vendor.xml files.

i dont know how the diagnostics test would run normally, but it completes leaving many unknown or abort messages now that i have internet only on wifi (my plan turns bis over the carrier network if i have no credit)

PIN
    please ask
    Device
    OS
    always the latest
    Liked
    0 times

i dont know how the diagnostics test would run normally, but it completes leaving many unknown or abort messages now that i have internet only on wifi (my plan turns bis over the carrier network if i have no credit)
    It should come up with no errors at all (hopefully) and in addition force a resend service books and a re-registering of HRT - maybe you could try it again, when your BIS is really reactivated tomorrow!

PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    9 times
    I think you ate confusing me.
    I want you to clarify me the following questions so I can. Figure it out and have it fixed for you.

You have a data plan in a contract plan?
    You have a data plan in a prepaid plan?
    Is it unlimited data? Or has sort of limit?

And to clarify something for you apn = tcp/ip
    So if you have anything set to tcp/ip your using carrier servers to connect to the internet.

When you set to BIS you are connecting to the internet using blackberry servers.

So if you don't have a data plan with your carrier BIS won't work but apn tcp/it should work but you will be charged in a per kb usage way. To me it sounds like if you have no data plan activated with your carrier and that is why it is not working, you might want to check with them to make sure your data plan has been activated or find out if it is deactivated
    Posted via mobile device

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Well, this WILL add more confusion :P

Our CARRIER: Personal Argentina

out of the 3 persons with the same problem:

me: "normal phone plan with X credit per month" + BBPRO (bbpro is what my carrier calls the BIS plan)

if i have no credit, i can only use BIS through wifi, if i have credit, i can use the unlimited BIS through my phone conection. If the APN is set in the TCP/IP options, trafic over it reduces my credit. Unlocked ATT 9700 (but had this problem with the 9000 when i debranded it, and had it also on my 9550)

friend: BBPRO150 (150 minutes, 150 sms, unlimited BIS internet, minutes/sms exeding the limit have extra cost, and setting our carrier APN in tcp/ip results in HUGE bills, since all trafic thrugh it, gets charged). Unlocked ATT 9700

Friends Wife: BBPRO99 (100 minutes, 100 sms, unlimited BIS internet, some more stuff, and 100mb through the carriers APN, extras gets charged like in the BBPRO150 plan. Personal Argentina BRANDED 8520, that they updated to 5.0 (not released by our carrier) the moment they bought it.

Now, none of us has ANY other problem, other than the application for setting up emails, refuses to work. (using it directly or through the setup wizzard).

We have mail, internet, etc,

we configure our mail using our pcs and the carrier BIS page, or our blackberries browser and the BIS page.

BUT, GMAIL contact (and future calendar) sync, requires us to OPEN the mail setup app to finish the security activation of the feature, and we cant do that :P

My problem with my carrier was super weird, had never happened before, but i chose to ask about it here also :P (the one where, with no apn set in TCP/IP, yesterday, they say that i used their internet for 40 minutes).

We all tried many battery pulls, re registering in HRT, resending service books, and everything else i mention on the first post.

So, it would be:

data: unlimited (using BIS)
    apn = setting the carrier apn in TCP/IP, which causes extra cost or credit reduction when used

I thought that BIS = using blackberry internet, but now my friend says that programs that apart from the BIS transport option, mention the options between HTTP or socket/tcp, need to also be set to HTTP, or it will use the APN (if set). beejive, for example, mentions transport AND connection.

And as i said, the meil setup application wont work, using BIS, wifi, setting the APN, etc.

PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    9 times
    Well my friend is my understanding that by "Unlimited data" we mean unlimited, BIS and APN, so either your carrier is having some weird issues o you have not an unlimited data plan.

For example, T-Mobile offers web2go which is plan different then bb plan, u can use the net via the wap browser if you are paying for but not via bb browser since you are not paying for a bb plan, also there are some blackberry plans that do not include email but web or vice versa, so probably check with them.

Out of curiosity, when you go to options, advanced options, tcp/ip, are you sure you have your carrier settings there.?
    Posted via mobile device

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    i know its HARD to understand our stupid realaty :P

but in my poor sad country, there are no "unlimited carrier internet plans" for "normal phones".

the iphone has unlimited internet plans, that, until personal (3rd carrier with the iphone got it), requierd 200++ argentinian pesos, for unlimited internet. (now personal has a plan with unlimited internet for it, for 140).

Other phones can only buy stupid data packs.

Now, blackberries have special plans, that offer unlimited internet, but with super BIG ****** (asterixes), that inform us that, if we happen to use the carriers APN (lower case edge/3g), we will get charged/credit reduced.

As long as we have EDGE/3G, and our apps dont use the carrier internet, its is "unlimited"

we cant use tether apps, for example, because the carriers block the ports they use, and if we set the APN, we... die :P

now, we USUALLY leave the TCP/IP options UNSET, because its NOT needed for BIS internet, and, if we set our carrier APN there, we... are in trouble :P

i just configured the APN there while testing the MAIL SETUP APPLICATION, which is the one and only thing all the people i mention in the first post, cant use.

After creating this thread, i had that episode where SOMEHOW, my carrier decided that i used "their internet", something i can't begin to understand, because i have the APN NOT configured now (as i said, i only configured it a few days ago for some testing).

In Argentina there is only 1 kind of BB plan, unlimited BIS internet + mails.

there are no cheaper/less features plans. And there are NO cool things as... unlimited internet plans, except for special phones

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    did the info about HOWwwwwwwww sucky our plans and carriers are, scare everyone off ? :P

PIN
    please ask
    Device
    OS
    always the latest
    Liked
    0 times
    did the info about HOWwwwwwwww sucky our plans and carriers are, scare everyone off ? :P
    Noooo ...it is more the complexity of your problem - I guess we need more time to think (but you and your problem are not forgotten!)

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    ha !

:P

the "brains" behind my carrier left me with bis only through WIFI for unknown reasons, i called and they said i will be back online today at noon, or close to it...

i went to one of their comercial offices today very early, only to find them with NO SYSTEM, so, they sent me home...

i hate them :P

MikeWalt24 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    237B111D
    Device
    Torch 9800
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Any news?

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    still stuck with this, but now i hav a bigger problem

http://www.blackberryos.com/forums/g...cept-wifi.html

Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    finally got my carrier to re-enable data on my account...

now this problem is back to be "the" problem :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast