BlackberryBlake is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    OG Bold & 9700
    OS
    latest (shrunken)
    Liked
    2 times

app error 523 advice?

Hey everyone, I've become frustrated as hell with this app error. This is the 4th day i've been using the 9700 and i've had a lotta intermittent app error 523's. I've wiped and loaded .405 twice and .423 twice with fresh installs of all apps and this error keeps coming back. It, is intermittent and happens even if no apps are running per say. Only things running would be bbm, youmail, home, browser, call log, & messages. I don't mess with 3rd party themes. Just precision att, and zen. The only thing i did notice is that Mobile Network was on auto & 2g. I only use 2g so i just switched to manual. i guess time will tell. Any other thoughts?

Edit: noticed, once i turned mobile network to manual, it selected att after bat pull and option is gone. Maybe that was it?
    Last edited by BlackberryBlake; 01-07-2010 at 10:50 AM.

We pull batteries, swap bezels, break contracts, and stay up all night. We change OSes like we change underwear. If our phones could make us fly, we still wouldn't be satisfied. We're cut from a different cloth. A better breed. We are BlackBerry.

breiti is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow breiti On Twitter
    PIN
    please ask
    Device
    OS
    always the latest
    Liked
    0 times
    Not really after all you've tried already...to me it sounds that this error is really unspecific, could be related to a theme, an app, a microSD card, a wrong battery...has it gone better since your last change?

Device
    OG Bold & 9700
    OS
    latest (shrunken)
    Liked
    2 times
    Welp, it happened with both the precision and zen themes, I've done fresh installs of each app individually ota after each wipe (not using any apps with known compatibility issues or anything random), also happened with 2 micro sd cards and 3 different batteries. Half of the time it would error out with no apps running and the phone just sitting. Odd thing is, there hasn't been a single hiccup since I changed that mobile network option. I'll repost with an update later tonite. Very strange but I hope that was it. I've seen a lot of reports on the web of ppl having the same issue intermittently, but I don't think anyone with the issue has gone thru the lengths I have to isolate it lol. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    We pull batteries, swap bezels, break contracts, and stay up all night. We change OSes like we change underwear. If our phones could make us fly, we still wouldn't be satisfied. We're cut from a different cloth. A better breed. We are BlackBerry.

breiti is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow breiti On Twitter
    PIN
    please ask
    Device
    OS
    always the latest
    Liked
    0 times
    Count on my fingers being crossed as well :-)

Device
    OG Bold & 9700
    OS
    latest (shrunken)
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by breiti View Post
    Count on my fingers being crossed as well :-)
    Thanks! still good so far!

Shrink-a-os should have deleted my precision att theme but didn't fully succeed. The theme was still on my BB. When I went into the java folder in the os on my pc, I saw the theme was only about 1 tenth the size it should be (so soa deleted part of the actual theme/corrupted/shrunk it?). Deleted the corrupt theme with bbsak and thought I was good to go but 12 hrs later, threw the error again and twice since. Anyone have any thoughts?

Update: Wiped and reloaded for the last time. First app i went to DL was app world and it kicked the error. Deleted and pulled. Keeping it off. I tink I'm finally good to go lol.

Final Conclusion: App World, or weatherbug which I downloaded from there was def the culperate. WB doesn't show as running in background but does update like a widget. Downloaded weatherbug ota and keeping app world off. 20 hrs and still going strong!
    Last edited by BlackberryBlake; 01-11-2010 at 06:03 PM.

Device
    OG Bold & 9700
    OS
    latest (shrunken)
    Liked
    2 times

Here we go again!

Long story short, dropped the 9700 & was still working fine but all scratched up so returned it and got a new one. Tried a few things and wipes but APP ERROR 523 keeps popping up! Not battery, not sd card. Now fresh os install, bone stock, no apps, themes etc. None. No restore either. Go do dL BBM ota and it threw the error. Is it more likely its BBM or the hardware?
    Last edited by BlackberryBlake; 01-20-2010 at 06:33 PM.

ealvnv is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow ealvnv On Twitter
    PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    9 times
    this error commonly happens when you install not compatible software for your device, can be fixed by doing a hard reset aka batt pull, reloading the os....also may happen due to an IT policy on BES users, reading your post you said you were trying to install bbm ota, was that from the official bbm download page? or from the non blackberry dl site for bbm?
    BlackBerry by Choice!

Device
    OG Bold & 9700
    OS
    latest (shrunken)
    Liked
    2 times
    3 wipes and 3 fresh installs. Not on BES. BBM from blackberry.com/messenger

I just went to a different store and made them give me a new one. Came w/ .296. About to wipe and load .423 and see what happens. I figured might as well rule the device out. I use this for business and it screwed up my whole day today.

Also on the one i returned, the error log was a disaster and wasn't consistent. It would also reboot on start-up and re-boot when I turned on wifi randomly (after hard resets) Even without restoring anything.
    Last edited by BlackberryBlake; 01-20-2010 at 08:09 PM.

PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    9 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackberryBlake View Post
    3 wipes and 3 fresh installs. Not on BES. BBM from blackberry.com/messenger

I just went to a different store and made them give me a new one. Came w/ .296. About to wipe and load .423 and see what happens. I figured might as well rule the device out. I use this for business and it screwed up my whole day today.

Also on the one i returned, the error log was a disaster and wasn't consistent. It would also reboot on start-up and re-boot when I turned on wifi randomly (after hard resets) Even without restoring anything.
    are you installing straight or shrunk it?
    BlackBerry by Choice!

Device
    OG Bold & 9700
    OS
    latest (shrunken)
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    are you installing straight or shrunk it?
    Shrunk. I tried installing straight one time and ended up with the same result on the last 9700.

And the plot thickens. Loaded .442 this morning. Loaded apps, and app error 523, 5 times in one hr. Deleted BBM and BB was fine all day. After work, re-DLed and app error again and again. Deleted BBM and also tried dLing from app world > same result. What is it about bbm that it isn't cooperating? And is it the luck of the draw with downloads?

There is no Blackberry Messenger .alx included with .442 but cod's are present. Just tried deleting bbm and loading all cod's w/ bbsak but bbm doesn't show up as an app. Re-dLed BBM ota and after, tried loading cod's from bbsak to overwrite original files. No way to tell if they were overwritten or if this is a fix. Too soon to tell.

Update: App error 523. What I did find out is BBSAK will not overwrite cod's. You can remove files, restart and replace them, except the resource cod for BBM will not load with bbsak or crackutil. I had to re-dL bbm ota. I then removed and replaced the api file with the file from .442. BBM did start up so I will have to see if this stops the error. My guess is it won't.

Update 2: Didn't work. Downgraded to bbm 5.0.0.54 to see if that works.
    Last edited by BlackberryBlake; 01-23-2010 at 07:15 AM.

Device
    OG Bold & 9700
    OS
    latest (shrunken)
    Liked
    2 times
    Bump! Can anyone come up w/ a logical explanation as to why bbm is causing this problem? Its still happening w/ .54. As a side note, it errors out much more when I'm walking around or driving. When I had it off, I drove around all day w/ no errors.
    Last edited by BlackberryBlake; 01-23-2010 at 01:07 PM.

PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    9 times
    OS 5.0.0.442 comes with bbm .57 preinstalled, souds like if you have a corrupted files causing this, a probably fix is in your phone going to options, security options and wipe the handled including data and third party apps, then using bbsak wipe the device till u get the 507 error, reload software including bbm, then when restoring your data from back up make an advance restore with just the essentially data you need, ie address book, probably it is in your back up where the corrupdted data is and is causing conflicts with bbm.

Hope that helps...
    Posted via mobile device

Device
    OG Bold & 9700
    OS
    latest (shrunken)
    Liked
    2 times
    I've tried plenty of times but without loading bbm directly back onto the os. I'll try it with loading bbm and see what happens.

Device
    OG Bold & 9700
    OS
    latest (shrunken)
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    OS 5.0.0.442 comes with bbm .57 preinstalled, souds like if you have a corrupted files causing this, a probably fix is in your phone going to options, security options and wipe the handled including data and third party apps, then using bbsak wipe the device till u get the 507 error, reload software including bbm, then when restoring your data from back up make an advance restore with just the essentially data you need, ie address book, probably it is in your back up where the corrupdted data is and is causing conflicts with bbm.

Hope that helps...
    Posted via mobile device
    What i haven't done is a security wipe before bbsak. Hopefully between that and loading bbm on directly it fixes this. Thanks for your input.

PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    9 times
    NP, and sorry for the late responses but life sometimes interferes with my bbos duties lol
    Posted via mobile device

Device
    OG Bold & 9700
    OS
    latest (shrunken)
    Liked
    2 times
    No prob. I think the security wipe did the trick. I guess its true BBSAK really does only do a low level wipe.

Device
    OG Bold & 9700
    OS
    latest (shrunken)
    Liked
    2 times
    Bump. App error 523. F*%#!

Bugly is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow Bugly On Twitter
    PIN
    307959E6
    Device
    Antique 9530
    OS
    Whatever works today
    Liked
    0 times
    After all this futzing around and going through the paces of security wipes and other methods, you might actually have a hardware issue at this point. If software won't fix it, and new batteries and sd cards can't do it either, the only thing I can think of is hardware.
    I've had issues like this on my pc in the past and it was bad RAM.
    Have you ever wondered why things intended to make our lives simpler keep getting more complicated to use?

Device
    OG Bold & 9700
    OS
    latest (shrunken)
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugly View Post
    After all this futzing around and going through the paces of security wipes and other methods, you might actually have a hardware issue at this point. If software won't fix it, and new batteries and sd cards can't do it either, the only thing I can think of is hardware.
    I've had issues like this on my pc in the past and it was bad RAM.
    This is the second 9700 with this problem. I got them at 2 different stores 4 days apart. I know that doesn't mean much but you would think there would be some type of recall on a large group of imei's if there were a bunch of bad ones out there. I dunno.

Bugly is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow Bugly On Twitter
    PIN
    307959E6
    Device
    Antique 9530
    OS
    Whatever works today
    Liked
    0 times
    That is correct, it does change the playing field a bit. I forget (or I'm too lazy to check) did you try downgrading the OS to see if the problem was still there?
    Have you ever wondered why things intended to make our lives simpler keep getting more complicated to use?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast