216c3c35
    Device
    Blackberry 9700
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Unable to connect using BB9700 WiFi

Hi!

I'm roaming in Vietnam. I've turned off Data Services via the Mobile Network. I have connected to the local WIFI provider.

However, I can see from the MANAGE CONNECTIONS screen, I can see there is a "TICK" mark next to the Mobile Network. However, there is a "-" mark next to the WIFI connection. Is there something wrong there?

I went to the Browser, but was not able to connect "Unable to connect to the Internet". The browser is set to HOTSPOT BROWSER already.

Any ideas why I can't surf? Thanks!

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WillingTan View Post
    Hi!

I'm roaming in Vietnam. I've turned off Data Services via the Mobile Network. I have connected to the local WIFI provider.

However, I can see from the MANAGE CONNECTIONS screen, I can see there is a "TICK" mark next to the Mobile Network. However, there is a "-" mark next to the WIFI connection. Is there something wrong there?

I went to the Browser, but was not able to connect "Unable to connect to the Internet". The browser is set to HOTSPOT BROWSER already.

Any ideas why I can't surf? Thanks!
    have you made sure you didnt need a password or anything for the wifi connection?

sunkast Guest
    I am almost 100% certain that you need to have data services enabled, even to use wifi. That's how it works on my 8320.

TemperamentalMan is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow TemperamentalMan On Twitter
    PIN
    's and nee
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkast View Post
    I am almost 100% certain that you need to have data services enabled, even to use wifi. That's how it works on my 8320.
    And I'm pretty sure of that too Sun
    Posted via mobile device

yourfriendwayned is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow yourfriendwayned On Twitter
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    my thoughts are you can use wifi without data services - you just need the right service books for your phone... I can turn off all data through Verizon and turn wifi on and it works... I would suggest having the carrier send you the right service books (which they might have to turn on data for a moment..) some carriers might opt out of that idea
    Visit www.WJDDesigns.com (Mobile Friendly) for All things Berry,Tech Blogs, and my Recent Theme News!
    Thanks to everyone who has purchased WJD Designs Premium themes YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

kchow24 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    PIN
    215D38AB
    Device
    Bold 9700 onyx
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes, you are right, you have to turn on data for a moment to let the carrier send you the right service books.