Thread: Attachment service

zmika is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Bold 9700
    Liked
    0 times

Attachment service

hello,

I need some help please, i got my new BB Bold 9700 and i cant open attachments received on my mail address such as PDF.
    I even cant find Attachment Service under applications and I dont know where to get it from.

Thank you

sunkast Guest
    Did you get this new from a carrier? Which carrier?

bbcrackman is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master
    PIN
    yes
    Device
    9000/9530/9630/
    OS
    5.0.0.3xx
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zmika View Post
    hello,

I need some help please, i got my new BB Bold 9700 and i cant open attachments received on my mail address such as PDF.
    I even cant find Attachment Service under applications and I dont know where to get it from.

Thank you

The 5.0 OS no longer has a seperate Attachment Service it is included in the SFI file. I would try going to Options/Applications/Core/Highlight the Phone app, do not click/BB Button/Edit Permissions and allow on all

Device
    Bold 9700
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey bbcrackman,

I tried what u told me, but till now my bb dosnt open PDF attachments received by mail. Please I would appreciate if you can help.

ealvnv is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow ealvnv On Twitter
    PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    9 times
    i can open those attachments on mine, what os are you using?
    BlackBerry by Choice!

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Also instead of clicking on the attachment have you tried hitting the menu key then open attachment?

breiti is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow breiti On Twitter
    PIN
    please ask
    Device
    OS
    always the latest
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey bbcrackman,

I tried what u told me, but till now my bb dosnt open PDF attachments received by mail. Please I would appreciate if you can help.

It is said that the pdf has to be adobe format - could this be the issue?
    Other users had success in saving the PDF and renaming it.

Device
    Bold 9700
    Liked
    0 times

attachment can open

Thanks guys for helping.
    I'm trying to open an attachment I received by mail, its a PDF, when I press open attachment it says (the attachment type cannot be viewed on your device) but what's weird that my friend has the same bb I have and the attachment open normal on his bb. I tried changing the permission in the application service, but still didn't work.

PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks guys for helping.
    I'm trying to open an attachment I received by mail, its a PDF, when I press open attachment it says (the attachment type cannot be viewed on your device) but what's weird that my friend has the same bb I have and the attachment open normal on his bb. I tried changing the permission in the application service, but still didn't work.
    Ok I would highly suggest that you try wiping and reloading the software, or OS. Are you and him running the same OS?

Device
    Bold 9700
    Liked
    0 times

sorry i mean (attachment cant open)

Thanks guys for helping.

Device
    Bold 9700
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'm a new user of bb, I'm not sure about the OS thing, the version of my bb is 5.0.0.321 its a bold 9700. So what do u think should I do?

Thank you so much

PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'm a new user of bb, I'm not sure about the OS thing, the version of my bb is 5.0.0.321 its a bold 9700. So what do u think should I do?

Thank you so much
    Find out what version he has first then we can see if he has a version that works maybe he or we can help you get on to that version

breiti is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow breiti On Twitter
    PIN
    please ask
    Device
    OS
    always the latest
    Liked
    0 times
    ...or to call your service provider, in other cases I have heard that they should be able to send you an updated service book fixing that issue

PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    9 times
    Do me a favor, go to options, applications, once in there hit the menu key and select modules, take a look and see if you find a module named net_rim_bb_attachment.
    Posted via mobile device

BBphreak is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow BBphreak On Twitter
    PIN
    GED your IP ;)
    Device
    9700/9000
    OS
    >>.421/.411
    Liked
    0 times
    First off...do you have docs to go installed?

toytooii is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    .419/.692 Hybrid by Lyricidal (Shrunk)
    Liked
    0 times
    Another thing to check...
    Is there a file winfile.dat showing? If so, this attachment may have been sent via Outlook in a Rich Text formatted email. BB is not compatible with attachments sent in this format (a known issue between Outlook and BB). If this is the case, have the desired file resent as an attachment to an email formatted in plain text and you should be able to open it. This may or may not be your problem but worth a try.
    Here's a post I made many months back. You might find it helpful. Hope you figure it all out.
    Blackberrys can only open .pdf documents created with Adobe distiller tools.
    Depending on the scanning software being used, it's possible that a non-Adobe format .pdf file is being created. If you are able to open attached .pdf files from other sources, this may indeed be the issue.

Some have found success by uninstalling and then reinstalling Blackberry Attachment Service and being sure they resend Service Books.

If you are seeing a winmail.dat file, it is from sender emailing you from Outlook in a RTF formatted email.
    winmail.dat is a creation of Outlook and a few other MS programs.
    Try attaching the same document (your problematic pdf file) to a Plain Text formatted email and see if you get it as .pdf attachment. This is a known Outlook/BB issue. If you're using Outlook, more info can be found here: What is the Winmail.dat file? | HowTo-Outlook
    Last edited by toytooii; 12-16-2009 at 11:58 AM.

BBphreak is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow BBphreak On Twitter
    PIN
    GED your IP ;)
    Device
    9700/9000
    OS
    >>.421/.411
    Liked
    0 times
    Also upgrade your OS to 5.0.0.421

Device
    Bold 9700
    Liked
    0 times
    Dear all thank you all for your help but still no good news, about the pdf file if sent from an outlook it dosnt open on bb, it wasn't send from outlook it was sent from a normal email, and for the net_rim_bb_application under option application, yes it is available, but when clicking on it in module properties it says description unavailable, dos this have to do with it?
    And I really didn't get what dos reset your OS means? Sorry all still a beginner in BB

PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    9 times
    Dear all thank you all for your help but still no good news, about the pdf file if sent from an outlook it dosnt open on bb, it wasn't send from outlook it was sent from a normal email, and for the net_rim_bb_application under option application, yes it is available, but when clicking on it in module properties it says description unavailable, dos this have to do with it?
    And I really didn't get what dos reset your OS means? Sorry all still a beginner in BB
    No reason to be sorry at all, we all were there at first.
    Ok we need to figure this out, let me do a research on the issue, to see if I find something, u said your friend can open the file, is there a way to check with him if he uses a pdf reader or has documents to Go on his phone, if you find that info that will help a lot. Post back with answers please.
    Posted via mobile device