Unlocked T-Mobile Unable to get on 3G Network in Other Areas?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unlocked T-Mobile Unable to get on 3G Network in Other Areas?

arek28 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    2COOLPIN
    Device
    Q10
    OS
    Newest
    Liked
    5 times

Exclamation Unlocked T-Mobile Unable to get on 3G Network in Other Areas?

I just received info from a couple friends that their T-Mobile Onyx can't get on 3G networks in other areas despite having it unlocked... anybody can confirm this?

There was also some rumor going around that the Rogers Onyx can only use 3G network in Canada? And T-Mobile Onyx can only use 3G network in the US?

I'm getting my Rogers Bold to use in Indonesia.... can anybody confirm whether I can get on the 3G network if the device is unlocked? mfg:

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by arek28 View Post
    I just received info from a couple friends that their T-Mobile Onyx can't get on 3G networks in other areas despite having it unlocked... anybody can confirm this?

There was also some rumor going around that the Rogers Onyx can only use 3G network in Canada? And T-Mobile Onyx can only use 3G network in the US?

I'm getting my Rogers Bold to use in Indonesia.... can anybody confirm whether I can get on the 3G network if the device is unlocked? mfg:
    even if unlocked you will still only get the edge for connection and not 3G in the us.

PIN
    2COOLPIN
    Device
    Q10
    OS
    Newest
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    even if unlocked you will still only get the edge for connection and not 3G in the us.
    Yes.. I heard the T-Mobile devices are hardwired in a way that they can only use 3G on US networks..

ealvnv is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow ealvnv On Twitter
    PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    8 times
    It all depends on 3g frequencies, the one used in US by tmo is 2100 mhz while the one used for att is 1900 mhz making both incompatible, so if I were you I would go ahead and check the full specifications at bb site about what 3g frequencies does the 9700 support and verify if you carrier is in the range of 3/ or EDGE...
    Posted via mobile device

PIN
    2COOLPIN
    Device
    Q10
    OS
    Newest
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    It all depends on 3g frequencies, the one used in US by tmo is 2100 mhz while the one used for att is 1900 mhz making both incompatible, so if I were you I would go ahead and check the full specifications at bb site about what 3g frequencies does the 9700 support and verify if you carrier is in the range of 3/ or EDGE...
    Posted via mobile device
    Size: 2.4 x 4.2 x 0.6 inches Weight: 4.3 ounces Included battery: 1500 mAh Lion Talk time: up to 6 hours Standby time: up to 15 days Band (frequency): 850 MHz;900 MHz;1800 MHz;1900 MHz;UMTS: Band IV (1700/2100)
    The above spec is stated on the T-Mobile site, so I assume that the device should also support 1800/1900 MHz?

A friend of mine using the T-Mobile 9700 said that there is no option to switch between 2G/3G, it is automatic by default, would an OS update fix this?

Bla1ze is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    All Of Em!
    Liked
    0 times
    Point blank...

T-Mobile 9700 will NOT have 3G on any other US network aside from T-Mobile, it will be a EDGE only device.

(Also applies to Canadian networks as well as none have fully launched AWS)

disturkis4u is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    bold
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Actually tmo uses 1700 and is the only carrier in the US to that, which is why it won't work with at&t 3g. Most european countries use 2100 for 3g which is why it can still use 3g abroad if there's 2100

306buddyluv is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast Follow 306buddyluv On Twitter
    Device
    9700/9530
    OS
    5.0.0.421/5.0.0.419
    Liked
    0 times
    @arek28

Despite what you hear from your buds, Blaze is 110% correct. The same goes with the Bold 9000 and the Storms. Their 3G are network specific, meaning their 3G will only work on the network the device was release too.

And the same goes for all other 3G smartphones in the market; except for one phone. I don't recall its name. But it was design to work on all non CDMA 3G network. US, and Europe.
    SHAKE N BAKE

PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bla1ze View Post
    Point blank...

T-Mobile 9700 will NOT have 3G on any other US network aside from T-Mobile, it will be a EDGE only device.

(Also applies to Canadian networks as well as none have fully launched AWS)
    Quote Originally Posted by 306buddyluv View Post
    @arek28

Despite what you hear from your buds, Blaze is 110% correct. The same goes with the Bold 9000 and the Storms. Their 3G are network specific, meaning their 3G will only work on the network the device was release too.

And the same goes for all other 3G smartphones in the market; except for one phone. I don't recall its name. But it was design to work on all non CDMA 3G network. US, and Europe.
    These 2 are 100% right.. now if you want it to work 3g overseas dont by the xx30 or xx50 version of that phone..

BBphreak is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow BBphreak On Twitter
    PIN
    GED your IP ;)
    Device
    9700/9000
    OS
    >>.421/.411
    Liked
    0 times

Arrow

Posted via mobile device

T-Mobile uses 1700mhz for 3G and AT&T uses 1900mhz for 3G....along with Rogers. Sooo the moral of the story is if you have AT&T wait for them to release the 9700 or get one from Rogers....I'd wait 4 days...

BBphreak is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired Follow BBphreak On Twitter
    PIN
    GED your IP ;)
    Device
    9700/9000
    OS
    >>.421/.411
    Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by disturkis4u View Post
    Actually tmo uses 1700 and is the only carrier in the US to that, which is why it won't work with at&t 3g. Most european countries use 2100 for 3g which is why it can still use 3g abroad if there's 2100

+1 disturkis

PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    8 times
    Ok my bad, on the frequency bands, posting that early in the am is not good idea, but ditto to bbphreak and disturkis.
    Posted via mobile device

PIN
    2COOLPIN
    Device
    Q10
    OS
    Newest
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 306buddyluv View Post
    @arek28

Hey Buddy.. I'd have to disagree with what you said, cause i'm using a Rogers bold on an Indonesian carrier....

Quote Originally Posted by disturkis4u View Post
    I think what disturkis4u said makes more sense, as long as the local provider supports the frequencies the device is configured to have, the 3G should work...

Here in Indonesia most of the BBs are overseas branded (CSL, AT&T, Rogers, T-Mobile, TIM, etc) as they are sold as BM units (black market, ie. not sold via providers).... so far most phones can use the 2G/3G networks in Indonesia...

A couple of my friends are getting the T-Mobile 9700 today... I will personally check whether the 3G will work on the Indonesian cell networks..

PIN
    2COOLPIN
    Device
    Q10
    OS
    Newest
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jnepsa View Post
    These 2 are 100% right.. now if you want it to work 3g overseas dont by the xx30 or xx50 version of that phone..
    A friend of mine is using the Verizon Wireless 9630 (Tour), the 3G works here in Indonesia...

PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    Right because its out of th country which is what we said you were talking bout getting edge with T-Mobile within the US.. and other american carriers. VZW handsets are supposed to work with the overseas gsm frequencies just not on the US ones like tmobile.
    Posted via mobile device
    Last edited by jnepsa; 11-19-2009 at 07:05 AM.

death1246 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    Blackberry Curve 8900
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    • 3G (HSDPA) compatible
    • UMTS: 2100/1900/850/800 MHz (Bands 1,2,5/6), 2100/1700/900 MHz (Bands 1,4,8)
    • GSM: 1900/1800/900/850 MHz
    • Quad-band support: GSM 850; GSM

those are the speecs for the 9700 on wireless networks meaning it should work if the phone is unlocked anywhere with 3G or EDGE Coverage.

3G on the Bold all depends on coverage of 3G

1700 band is t-mobile and 1900 is AT&T so it has to work on 3G for both no doubt.

PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    8 times
    To verify that I'll try an att sim on my tmobile 9700
    Posted via mobile device

death1246 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    Blackberry Curve 8900
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    To verify that I'll try an att sim on my tmobile 9700
    Posted via mobile device
    thats all you have to do let us know the results because the band information i got it from the blackberry website and ity even says it on the t-mobile website

Band (frequency): 850 MHz;900 MHz;1800 MHz;1900 MHz;UMTS: Band IV (1700/2100)

Unsupported Browser

PIN
    2COOLPIN
    Device
    Q10
    OS
    Newest
    Liked
    5 times
    Most Indonesian cellphone providers utilizes the 2100 MHz band for UMTS... which is why the T-Mobile 9700 (Band IV 1700/2100) will be able to get on the 3G network...

bbboldy is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie Follow bbboldy On Twitter
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Guys, I'm using 9700 Tmobile unlock and I'm in indonesian,My 3G work verry good,because all of indonesian provider use 2100mhz for 3G..thx
    Posted via mobile device

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast