PIN
    217C6DC3
    Device
    Bold 9700
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

so ummm lack of UMA????

No UMA!!! i'm upset but love the phone. Is/will there be a way to enable this ever?

i spent hours on the phone with rogers today getting a credit because i told them they sold it to me as a talk spot compatible phone. btw i did get it so if your looking for a little cred i'm sure you can get it too!

death1246 is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    Blackberry Curve 8900
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    Only the t-mobile version of the blackberry has UMA.

Rogers and AT&T only has WiFi for Browsing.

Which is why t-mobile kicks ass sorry

sherb is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    PIN
    217C6DC3
    Device
    Bold 9700
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

The phones are capable so they should get it going. I hope in the first software update.

crisgq is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Liked
    0 times
    uma does work for rogers & at&t u just have to drop from 3g to 2g and it works

chrapojr is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    Liked
    0 times
    UMA has nothing to do with 2G or 3G. You can completely turn off the mobile network and it will function. AT&T does not do UMA. I have no idea about Rogers.

PIN
    217C6DC3
    Device
    Bold 9700
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by crisgq
    uma does work for rogers & at&t u just have to drop from 3g to 2g and it works
    When I tried this I couldn't make it work. I'll give Rogers a call and reactivate my talkspot and try again though. Does anyone have a detailed guide on this I feel like it can't be that simple because I couldn't get it to switch to Uma. Perhaps its my router?

Device
    Blackberry Curve 8900
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    I think only t-mobile does UMA

also if anything go to options and select mobile network if you have the optionchange it from mobile network preferred to wifi preferred and see if that works

if it doesnt then t-mobile is only one that does UMA

PIN
    217C6DC3
    Device
    Bold 9700
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    it has now been confirmed that rogers just have to push out a file to make it work. we're all waiting for that day but who knows if it will ever come. in the mean time their are rumors of ppl working on injecting that file themselves. however i have not heard about anyone doing it successfully.

Recieved an exerpt from the 9700 training at rogers today from my friend in BB tech support there.

" UMA - Limited support for Wi-Fi UMA exclusive to Rogers/Linksys router branded and Rogers ISP. " (rogers training 9700 slides)

This is by far the most conflicting info i have seen with this phone. it just seems like i hear different things from every person i talk to. well i am going to try to go get one of there routers tomorrow and test it out.

i'll let you all know when it fails to work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well it didn't happen the next day like i promised but i did go buy that 8 year old router from rogers. suprise suprise it still wouldn't work. the issues surrounding uma on the 9700 have nothing to do with the device but more to do with training.

if they didn't want it to have uma they never should have said it did. and if they wanted to keep customers happy they should have trained their staff to say it doesn't have uma rather than make me hunt around the city looking for a dealer with a a router i had when i was 14.
    Last edited by sherb; 11-20-2009 at 10:39 AM.

mcbain113 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Liked
    0 times
    If uma works on t-mobile, does anyone know if it will work if you put the t-mobile OS on the rogers 9700?

sunkast Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbain113 View Post
    If uma works on t-mobile, does anyone know if it will work if you put the t-mobile OS on the rogers 9700?
    I don't think it will. I think this is something controlled by service books and not necessarily the OS.

Bla1ze is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    All Of Em!
    Liked
    0 times
    Kinda funny cause if you actually look at the devices certificates through the escreens, the Rogers 9700 actually has them all loaded which indicates capability but removal upon Rogers request. Why else would the certs be loaded but not used?

Device
    All Of Em!
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkast View Post
    I don't think it will. I think this is something controlled by service books and not necessarily the OS.

Sunkast is correct, no matter what OS u load...you are bound by the enabled certificates on the devices, if you do not have Rogers certs enabled you will get nodda from it.

Device
    Blackberry Curve 8900
    OS
    Liked
    1 times
    I like your question.

To do this all you have to really do is edit the blackberry.alx file and remove the vendor ID on the UMA string.

Device
    All Of Em!
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by death1246 View Post
    I like your question.

To do this all you have to really do is edit the blackberry.alx file and remove the vendor ID on the UMA string.
    This is incorrect and will not work. The certificates need to be enabled on carriers end and while they are on the device, they are NOT enabled for the device on the Rogers side.

Aside from that, the only files loaded in the BlackBerry.alx files is specifically for error messages related to T-Mobile UMA. The only way to get it to work would be to have a RIM vendor ID and full on access to the engineering screens to enable the certs.

As you can see, they are there...just not enabled.

mcbain113 is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Liked
    0 times
    I appreciate everyone's responses as I certainly don't fully understand how UMA works. With that in mind, I'll ask one more question and forgive me if it's stupid...

I've got an 8900 from Rogers that works just fine with UMA. Is there any way I can transfer the working files or working certificates to the 9700.

The 9700 is almost the perfect device but it's frustrating that UMA is not supported...

jnepsa is offline BlackBerryOS Wizard
    PIN
    ch me then
    Device
    9550 Storm 2
    OS
    Liked
    5 times
    I appreciate everyone's responses as I certainly don't fully understand how UMA works. With that in mind, I'll ask one more question and forgive me if it's stupid...

I've got an 8900 from Rogers that works just fine with UMA. Is there any way I can transfer the working files or working certificates to the 9700.

The 9700 is almost the perfect device but it's frustrating that UMA is not supported...
    no because the network will recognize the 9700 as the 9700 and shut it back down. it may work for a min but I doubt that

vgershfiel is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    Device
    bold
    Liked
    0 times
    what is uma?

breiti is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow breiti On Twitter
    PIN
    please ask
    Device
    OS
    always the latest
    Liked
    0 times
    see eg wiki:
    Unlicensed Mobile Access or UMA, is the commercial name of the 3GPP Generic Access Network, or GAN standard. GAN is a telecommunication system that extends mobile voice, data and IP Multimedia Subsystem/Session Initiation Protocol (IMS/SIP) applications over IP access networks.
    The most common application of GAN is in a dual-mode handset service where subscribers can seamlessly roam and handover between wireless LANs and wide area networks using a GSM/Wi-Fi dual-mode mobile phone. GAN enables the convergence of mobile, fixed and Internet telephony, sometimes called Fixed Mobile Convergence.
    The local network may be based on private unlicensed spectrum technologies like 802.11, while the wide network is alternatively GSM/GPRS or UMTS mobile services. On the cellular network, the mobile handset communicates over the air with a base station, through a base station controller, to servers in the core network of the carrier.
    Under the GAN system, when the handset detects a wireless LAN, it establishes a secure IP connection through a gateway to a server called a GAN Controller (GANC) on the carrier's network. The GANC presents to the mobile core network as a standard cellular base station. The handset communicates with the GANC over the secure connection using existing GSM/UMTS protocols. Thus, when a mobile moves from a GSM to an 802.11 network, it appears to the core network as if it is simply on a different base station.