The Rhino is offline BlackBerryOS Noobie
    PIN
    3242C7F4
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up New Member, New BB User

So I just ordered a 9650 through Verizon as an upgrade...

Anyone have any opinions on "essential" apps or tweaks?

Neolantis is offline BlackBerryOS Grand Master Follow Neolantis On Twitter
    Liked
    188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rhino View Post
    So I just ordered a 9650 through Verizon as an upgrade...

Anyone have any opinions on "essential" apps or tweaks?
    Check out BlackBerry App World online. Here are some apps that I know are pretty popular.....I included some helpful links at the end.

Free Apps
    Slacker - My personal favorite

Weather Bug

Pandora

Foursquare

BlackBerry Messenger

Facebook

Player for YouTube

Twitter

UberTwitter

Google Talk

Vlingo

Pay Apps:

QuickLaunch

Weather Bug Elite

Beweather

Druglord Wars 2

Vlingo Plus

Mobile Checkbook

World Series of Poker

Forum Links that may be helpful:

BlackBerry Bold 9650 - Device Questions

9650 Operating Software - Software Questions

Official OS - 9650 - Downloads

Leaked OS - 9650 - Downloads

Resource Center - Help Section with How To Guides. Loading an OS, Wiping the device, Recovering a frozen device, etc...

Tips & Tricks

Themes

Software / Applications

Lounge - For fun or off topic stuff.

BlackBerryOS - Anouncements, Site suggestions, Contests/Giveaway.

So there is some stuff to get you started...congrats on the new phone, and don't hesitate to ask us any questions that you may have.
    Last edited by Neolantis; 10-10-2010 at 05:20 PM.
    Joe Jerde likes this.
    Click the Like button to thank me.
    Retired Administrator--I never try anything, I just do it.....Wanna try me?--

Tevansny is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted
    PIN
    someone us
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    4 times
    Welcome Rhino. You have come to the right place. Looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

PIN
    3242C7F4
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey Neo and T, thanks for the welcome.

So I got the 9650 today, and after putting in the battery and going through the setup wizard, I realized theres NOTHING on the phone... no app world, no bb browser, no bb messenger, nothing... The only browser on it is the hotspot browser...

So I installed the pc interface, checked for application updates, and it added a whole bunch of stuff... I now have bb browser and app world, etc... but theres a TON of other GARBAGE that got installed with it all... alot of Verizon stuff, alot of stupid games, etc...

So heres my question... I know you can hide stuff from the "desktop" screen (sorry I don't know all the lingo yet)... But is there a way to delete them completely? Obviously all this hidden stuff is still taking up space... The only things lister under 3rd party apps is the stuff that I've installed specifically that I want... I can't seem to find the things I want to get rid of...

joshjamie is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow joshjamie On Twitter
    PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    Hey rhino, all of the other crap is pushed content from your carrier. You can delete it by doing so through your service books but be sure of what your deleting. I really don't recommend this unless your sure of what your doing. The only problem with this is when you resent your service books for whatever reason, this crap comes back. The actual amount of space its taking up is very small as they are really just links to download the actual app.

Hope this helps
    Posted via mobile device

Liked
    188 times
    You should be able to get rid of the games through the desktop manager. The Verizon stuff gets pushed, so even if you get rid of their stuff, things like slacker, nfl, will end up coming back.

The good news is that if you highlight what you want hidden and press the BB key you can choose hide. It will still be there, you wont see it unless you press the BB key again and choose "show all"

You can also make a junk folder, call it Misc. for example, move everything that you don't want into that folder. that's what I do. Keep in mind that some things won't move, but most will.

By the way, the move command is done the same way as the hide command...highlight and move, that's it.

Let us know if that worked for you, and if you have any other questions.

EDIT: Moments before I submitted this, I was thinking...Josh is gonna beat me to the post...I was right!
    Last edited by Neolantis; 10-12-2010 at 10:07 PM.

joshjamie is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow joshjamie On Twitter
    PIN
    Bell
    Device
    Z10
    OS
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Neolantis View Post
    You should be able to get rid of the games through the desktop manager. The Verizon stuff gets pushed, so even if you get rid of their stuff, things like slacker, nfl, will end up coming back.

The good news is that if you highlight what you want hidden and press the BB key you can choose hide. It will still be there, you wont see it unless you press the BB key again and choose "show all"

You can also make a junk folder, call it Misc. for example, move everything that you don't want into that folder. that's what I do. Keep in mind that some things won't move, but most will.

By the way, the move command is done the same way as the hide command...highlight and move, that's it.

Let us know if that worked for you, and if you have any other questions.

EDIT: Moments before I submitted this, I was thinking...Josh is gonna beat me to the post...I was right!
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!:haha::haha::laugh2::laugh2:

Liked
    188 times
    Quote Originally Posted by joshjamie View Post
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!:haha::haha::laugh2::laugh2:
    I did the same, laughed my *** off...I thought screw it, I'm not deleting my post! hahahaha

PIN
    3242C7F4
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Neolantis View Post

I actually just did both of these things last night... I used Hide for all of it first, then thought Hide is actually a useful tool and I wanted to use it as it was meant to be used; so I created a new folder called GARBAGE and moved all the crap to there. And yes Josh, after looking closer last night, youre right, theyre just links... which also explains why none of it is listed under applications; 3rd party or otherwise.

Thanks again guys!:hail:

bbprintz215 is offline BlackBerryOS Gifted Follow bbprintz215 On Twitter
    PIN
    32653d3c
    Device
    Bold 9650
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Whats up Rhino? Welcome to

PIN
    3242C7F4
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the welcome, printz.

After spending a little more time with the phone, I'm pretty comfortable going through the service book under advanced options like Josh suggested. Much better!

I must say that the learning curve was a little steep for a first time user, but WOW! I'm pretty familiar with the device now and I'm really happy I bought it. The sheer amount of things it can do for me at work AND at home is great.

Lack of Flash support is my only gripe...

Joe Jerde is offline Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1501 times
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rhino View Post
    Thanks for the welcome, printz.

After spending a little more time with the phone, I'm pretty comfortable going through the service book under advanced options like Josh suggested. Much better!

I must say that the learning curve was a little steep for a first time user, but WOW! I'm pretty familiar with the device now and I'm really happy I bought it. The sheer amount of things it can do for me at work AND at home is great.

Lack of Flash support is my only gripe...
    I believe the flash support is coming to BB devices with the new OS that will feature on the PlayBook.

Click the button in the bottom right of a post to say thanks!
    Downloads Center | Rules and Guidelines l BlackBerry 10 Zone

judpma012 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Tour
    OS
    Liked
    3 times
    if you download Google Search is is really easy to use with any theme you might install....instead of using that browser that on the BB..... the OS browser is a hassle to use sometimes and with some themes. Google Search is free and, is simple, and works all the time

Joe Jerde is offline Owner | President Follow Joe Jerde On Twitter Add Joe Jerde on Facebook Add Joe Jerde on Google+ Add Joe Jerde on Linkedin Visit Joe Jerde's Youtube Channel
    Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1501 times
    Quote Originally Posted by judpma012 View Post
    if you download Google Search is is really easy to use with any theme you might install....instead of using that browser that on the BB..... the OS browser is a hassle to use sometimes and with some themes. Google Search is free and, is simple, and works all the time
    Good point, the Google search app is one of my most used web apps.

avianu3009 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    Device
    9900 bold
    OS
    7.1.0.523 Bundle1646
    Carrier
    IDEA Cellular
    Liked
    0 times
    Dear Joe,
    i had a problem in my BB 9650 bold. After downloading new spring themes from BB App world, its not making any change in the home screen. what would be the problem. you helped earlier also and expecting same this time also. i am from India and currently using OS 6.0.0.524.

Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1501 times
    Quote Originally Posted by avianu3009 View Post
    Dear Joe,
    i had a problem in my BB 9650 bold. After downloading new spring themes from BB App world, its not making any change in the home screen. what would be the problem. you helped earlier also and expecting same this time also. i am from India and currently using OS 6.0.0.524.
    Hello avianu,

You need to go to Options... Display... Screen Display... then scroll down to the bottom of the list till you see your list of themes. Click on the one you want to activate. Now exit out to your homescreen.

PIN
    Device
    9900 bold
    OS
    7.1.0.523 Bundle1646
    Carrier
    IDEA Cellular
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jerde View Post
    Hello avianu,

You need to go to Options... Display... Screen Display... then scroll down to the bottom of the list till you see your list of themes. Click on the one you want to activate. Now exit out to your homescreen.
    Option in which menu??

PIN
    Device
    9900 bold
    OS
    7.1.0.523 Bundle1646
    Carrier
    IDEA Cellular
    Liked
    0 times
    Option in which menu??
    I know sometimes its bit irritating but being our mentor we look for you support in case it needed. Please Elaborate step by step.

TheOnlyJrod is offline BlackBerryOS Addict
    PIN
    Just Ask!
    Device
    Torch 9800
    OS
    Carrier
    The "New" AT&T
    Liked
    123 times
    It is NEVER irritating, this is why we are here. We are here to inform, educate and assist other BlackBerry users! Don't ever feel like we are irritated, cause we are not.

Device
    BlackBerry Z10
    OS
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Liked
    1501 times
    I know sometimes its bit irritating but being our mentor we look for you support in case it needed. Please Elaborate step by step.
    No probs at all.

Options as in the Options icon, then follow what I said before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast