Thread: Release the Essex!!!

Brett Wyman is offline BlackBerryOS Master
    Device
    Tour
    OS
    Liked
    7 times

Release the Essex!!!

What happened to the Essex? Where is it? It seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. RIM better hope not since the Essex is going to be the first device released in 2010. Not to mention it has HUGE competition now, especially with the Nexus just being released. So really, where is it? Has RIM finished production and is it Verizon who is holding off on this? Lately there has been no talk about this device in a while. Hell, there has been more talk about the new pearl, which had some kind of rumor tied with it and CES 2010. But I don't care about the "Striker", I want the damn Essex! The WiFi, trackpad Tour!! I'm pointing the finger at Verizon. Verizon is slower then the economy. How long did it take them to finally release a new official OS for the first Storm? How many other carriers release OS's for their Blackberry line up and how many does Verizon do? Yes, none, zip, nada. I can openly admit that the most stupid thing I have done in 2009 was switch to Verizon. Hell, T-mobile is better then Verizon. Verizon needs to stop worrying about who they are going to file lawsuits against because of slogans and worry keeping their Blackberry users happy. Does not take much, just throw out an OS once in a while or something. AT&T should start getting good ol' Luke to just say "Verizon sucks, AT&T is better". It would not be lying, it's blunt and gets right to the point. If this is an indication of how this year is going to be with Verizon and RIM, I can see RIM stats hit an all time low as they watch Android break records. This is not a good start to the new year. RIM and Verizon have two options really, either they get off their butts and get things rolling or they get off their butts and walk to the unemployment line. Time to wake up!!!

JustinD is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    9550 & 9630
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    You must not be sober right now....Tmo or At&t BETTER than verizon ???

You must not like your phone to actually work in all areas of the country.

Device
    Tour
    OS
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
    You must not be sober right now....Tmo or At&t BETTER than verizon ???

You must not like your phone to actually work in all areas of the country.
    At the moment it's how Verizon is making themselves look to their Blackberry customer base. They may have an up on 3G then the other carriers but when it comes to Blackberry, Verizon is slacking. I may be the only one who thinks that. At the same time its not just verizon, its RIM as well. Every device is the same style/concept. They have a lot of work to do if they want to keep up in the game that they are quickly losing.

E-man is offline BlackBerryOS Inspired
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I can't really see the Essex hitting a large consumer market for Verizon, especially with many of their current customers switching to touch screen devices. The Nexus and other Google phones are becoming very sought after throughout the different U.S. carriers and releasing the Essex seems pretty pointless.

jlevy73 is offline BlackBerryOS Einstein
    Device
    9630/9550/9530/
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by E-man View Post
    I can't really see the Essex hitting a large consumer market for Verizon, especially with many of their current customers switching to touch screen devices. The Nexus and other Google phones are becoming very sought after throughout the different U.S. carriers and releasing the Essex seems pretty pointless.
    I agree. The Essex would just be the same old boring story with RIM. Take an existing phone add one or two features and charge consumers as it's a new phone. It gets old quick. BY the middle of 2010 there will be so many quality Droid devices on the market that unless something revolutionary comes out of the RIM camp they are going to get squashed.

breiti is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow breiti On Twitter
    PIN
    please ask
    Device
    OS
    always the latest
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post
    I agree. The Essex would just be the same old boring story with RIM. Take an existing phone add one or two features and charge consumers as it's a new phone. It gets old quick. BY the middle of 2010 there will be so many quality Droid devices on the market that unless something revolutionary comes out of the RIM camp they are going to get squashed.
    Actually, I am not that sure about this. I would fully agree, when it comes to consumer market, but in case of business, there aren't many of the 'old BB customers', that I know, that I could see changing to a touchscreen device, too new, to fancy for them...dunno.

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I agree that this new bb will only target a finite group that cannot get away from berry's, however that will prove to not be very profitable where a larger extent of clientele is moving towards smarter smart phones with full touch screen and better features.

zakth is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    PIN
    304f80f5
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm actually wanting to upgrade from the Storm 1 to the Tour 2 once it's out. Though I'm starting to think maybe I should wait for the Nexus 1 to reach VZW.
    Current OS: 5.0.0.451
    Feel free to contact me via BBM; 304f80f5
    Coming soon... bbota.net; ad-free downloads for your BB. Contact me via PM or BBM to submit your APP link.

ba_hamilton is offline BlackBerryOS Friend Follow ba_hamilton On Twitter
    PIN
    3082d123
    Device
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Except for the touch screen phones, Storm like screens, it seems as if all BB's are the same. The OS is looking very dated. Even 5.0 was not THAT much different than 4.x. I was going to upgrade to the S2 but will now wait to see what the S3 has to offer. The Android is looking better all the time. 6 months left on the contract. I'll see what happens.
    Apps: Quicklaunch, BerryWeather, Meterberry, Berrybuzz, BBMaps, Google Maps, Google Voice, SmartBCalendar, LifeInPocket, ScoreMobile, Level, Edocrab, GPSLogger BerryUnitConverter Theme: Quicklaunch Theme for BerryWeather

Jay24 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Tour 9630
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Wyman View Post
    At the moment it's how Verizon is making themselves look to their Blackberry customer base. They may have an up on 3G then the other carriers but when it comes to Blackberry, Verizon is slacking. I may be the only one who thinks that. At the same time its not just verizon, its RIM as well. Every device is the same style/concept. They have a lot of work to do if they want to keep up in the game that they are quickly losing.
    im a sprint carrier and i agree with you brett, tmobile has all the new blackberrys and they dont waist time with bring them out. tmobile service suck big time and i dont know why rim always allowing them first dibs on blackberry. yes indeed they do need to change up the blackberry feature and stop making the same style.

Jay24 is offline BlackBerryOS Friend
    Device
    Tour 9630
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jlevy73 View Post

YES YES you are so true with that one. i agree.

breiti is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow breiti On Twitter
    PIN
    please ask
    Device
    OS
    always the latest
    Liked
    0 times
    So tell me, what are we really dreaming of? Maybe a RIM official is just listening...

cscotty is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by breiti View Post
    So tell me, what are we really dreaming of? Maybe a RIM official is just listening...
    Without going overboard, I think RIM needs to come out with a few devices that accomplish the same tasks, but sports different looks. I agree that all BB's now are basically the same. The Storm is the most "adventureous" of the BB devices and that's not much. It needs to be fun, yet professional, and the specs needs to be improved big-time...and by specs, I especially mean system Memory.

-Scott

Device
    Tour
    OS
    Liked
    7 times
    They need to come out with something that the other devices don't have, if they want to regain their advantage. As it is, just to keep up with the competition, they need to get their devices to be comparable with these android platform devices.

Sporkman is offline BlackBerryOS Enthusiast
    Liked
    0 times
    sprint failed big time at the latest event RIM needs to release something with the google phone coming so soon

ealvnv is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow ealvnv On Twitter
    PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Wyman View Post
    They need to come out with something that the other devices don't have, if they want to regain their advantage..
    How about security, instant push email, multitasking out of the box with out the need of any hacking, and the only one device that can be the older u think and still be fully functional, complete user customization, and I can keep going, to me this seems to be the same old story about people complaining for something that they don't really know how to use or just gget something because is the new thing on the market and not what really fits its needs.

If it is that bad device tell me why the people at the white house ie, uses bb?

Yes they all probably look the same, but that is if you look at them from outside, but look inside, every single device has its own identity.

And for those saying tmobile sucks, I can say I have nothing but good experience with tmobile, not just for service but the way they look at the customer...

Ok done talking crazy...next..
    Posted via mobile device

mule0331 is offline BlackBerryOS Addict Follow mule0331 On Twitter
    PIN
    3102D902
    Device
    9550 Storm
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    I know I may have a differing opinion on this subject. But I will buy a essex when it comes to VZW for my wife. IMHO the Tour was rushed into production just like the original Storm was. With the updated processor, the phone wont be so laggy, and should perform just like the 9700's I've played with. On the other subect in this thread, I would never think of going to another platform. Blackberry does everything I need it to do for work, in fact it does what I need it to do better than any other phone on the market. Could it have a better browser...yes, could it have a couple other tweeks to make it more of a consumer friendly product...yes. But I went into Blackberry world knowing it made its living in the corperate world, and they will continue in that realm for many years to come. They may start to lose out in the consumer world, but I dont think by any means they will be squashed out of existance. The phone is what it is at heart, and the way I look at it... any other consumer bennies they want to add to it, is icing on the cake. I can name just as many Iphone owners that cant stand their phones and are switching to BB, as I do BB owners that are growing tired of their phones and switching to Iphone or Droid. TMobile basically released Android a few years ago with the G1, and it really didnt set the world on fire. So a couple tweeks, and VZW marketing dollars behind it..wallah a phone nobody can live without. I think ya just got to look at things for what it is, not what we want it, or think it should be. And base your descisions off of that. By no means am I flaming, just the contrary. This has been the best site for phone tech I have ever come across, and the people on here are awesome. Just throwing my 2.37564 cents into the mix, lol.
    No matter where you go, there you are

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    How about security, instant push email, multitasking out of the box with out the need of any hacking, and the only one device that can be the older u think and still be fully functional, complete user customization, and I can keep going, to me this seems to be the same old story about people complaining for something that they don't really know how to use or just gget something because is the new thing on the market and not what really fits its needs.

If it is that bad device tell me why the people at the white house ie, uses bb?

Yes they all probably look the same, but that is if you look at them from outside, but look inside, every single device has its own identity.

And for those saying tmobile sucks, I can say I have nothing but good experience with tmobile, not just for service but the way they look at the customer...

Ok done talking crazy...next..
    Posted via mobile device

There is no doubt that they are great for what they are and have been. We, however, have been discussing how they are not branching out to a larger clientèle that want the latest and greatest. As for those fat cats in white house, I doubt they would be able to find their way around all new full touch screen models. Yes they are attractive for a professional level, but the new phones that come out have a more sleek sexy style.

ealvnv is offline BlackBerryOS Master Follow ealvnv On Twitter
    PIN
    which one?
    Device
    9900/PlayBook
    OS
    good question
    Carrier
    All of them
    Liked
    8 times
    Not meant to go off topic but honestly doesn't iphones all look the same? What is the difference between android devices when it comes to design? In fact to those claiming the Droid is the perfect device, aren't so many complaints against the physical keyboard.
    Honestly tell me what device is perfect to the eye and functionability out of the box?

And no blackberry is not the perfect device but honestly tell me which one does better then bb when it comes to security, push email, multitasking, just to mention a few
    Posted via mobile device

Device
    Storm 9530
    OS
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ealvnv View Post
    Not meant to go off topic but honestly doesn't iphones all look the same? What is the difference between android devices when it comes to design? In fact to those claiming the Droid is the perfect device, aren't so many complaints against the physical keyboard.
    Honestly tell me what device is perfect to the eye and functionability out of the box?

And no blackberry is not the perfect device but honestly tell me which one does better then bb when it comes to security, push email, multitasking, just to mention a few
    Posted via mobile device
    You win, blackberry's have no equal. It simply would be nice just to have a new ,different, and cool design.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast